Sunday, 1 November 2015

The woman who doesn't do challenges.........

.........does a challenge!........... NO SPEND NOVEMBER!..........Well sort of.

I'll be buying some food, feeding the cats, paying bills and starting some Christmas present shopping (because I'd panic if it was all left to December) but other than that I want to avoid opening my purse.

Why?
It could  be because after our  breaks last month we need to go more carefully
Or it could be that our income is now tiny and we are living on savings

The trouble is that because of the Direct Debits for Council Tax, water, phone/broadband and a small charity donation....... whooosh out of the bank goes £253 without me even getting my purse out of my bag!

I looked back at the accounts (posh term for notes in the diary!) for November 2014 to see where the money went last year and then looked back on here to see what we were doing, then out of interest I scrolled back to November 2013. That was the month I reprised the 30 ways to save a £1 from earlier in 2013 when lots of bloggers earned £30 for sending their list to one of the money websites.
Now I had been thinking about going back to daily posts,  so an ideal opportunity to re-reprise those old savings ideas and keep myself on the straight and narrow.
That's the plan.
I'll see how I get on.

Here was/is Number 1.
1. ASK TO PICK UP ANY WINDFALL APPLES THAT YOU NOTICE
They can say two things, either " Yes" or "No". 
 in 2012 when we had a apple-less year due to the rotten weather, we asked for and were able to pick up windfalls from 2 different peoples trees. Without this we would have had hardly any fruit in the freezer for winter pies and crumbles. So asking saved us probably £20 - £30+.
For many years we fed windfalls to our goats, goats LOVE apples, but this year even though I've picked up loads for us to use and given lots away there are still more on the ground than the birds will need in the winter.
No one has ever asked if they could pick up windfalls here. I would say yes- help yourself!
 ( Why are the windfalls always the rosiest biggest apples?)

A box of windfalls for processing or giving away
Or if you wanted some picked off the tree they are £1 a bag






This "cheerful" November poem was published in 1844. It's perfect for today here in Suffolk where we have had thick fog for most of the day



NO!
 No sun, no moon
No morn, no noon
No dawn, no dusk, no proper time of day
No sky, no earthly view
No distance looking blue.................

...................No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease
No comfortable feel in any member
No shade,no shine,no butterflies,no bees 
No fruits,no flowers, no leaves, no birds,
November!

The poet Thomas Hood was wrong about No fruit as you can see in the apple pictures and he's also wrong about  No Flowers because our Alstromeria are having a second flush so I brought these in today, the first frost will be the end of them but in the meantime we can enjoy them on the kitchen window sill.




 Thanks for comments yesterday, I think I answered them all and welcome to Phil a new follower. He has an interesting blog from the other side of the world that you can see HERE

Edited in to ask is anyone having trouble leaving comments on some blogs? I tried to comment on Joys Diary of a teacher and can't and  yesterday it was another blog I was unable to comment on.



Back Tomorrow
Sue 

29 comments:

  1. Will you be cross if I tell you I am sat here in a T-shirt and we were really hot at the car boot sale this morning? I shed 3 layers in an hour! NO complaints though and about to go garden.

    Our boot sale earned us over £100 again, so that is groceries and a good chunk beside, and a lot less junk in the junk room.

    I hope that you can have a no-spend November. I can't quite join you but what I will do is start writing down ALL the outgoings on a daily basis again as I know some has got frittered away on drinks etc whilst we've been out lately and I spent £2 (ridiculous) on a small tray of safety pins which I HAD to have as I have (yet again) managed to lose the tin of them I have in my sewing cupboard. Good luck with the no-spend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm So glad you had a sunny day while we were covered with a blanket of wet fog that only lifted for an hour in the morning! Grrrr!
      You will probably find the pins when you're not looking for them

      Delete
  2. One reason why I hate Direct Debits is that I feel as if I/we are not in control of the money going out (apart from the fact that I would rather pay the actual amount of a bill rather than an approximation as is the case with electricity etc.). We pay our rent by DD (even that I don't like) but nothing else. On the subject of spending nothing more than you have to, I think it's a really good exercise for anybody to do once in a while. It makes you realize what you really need and what you can manage without.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind DD on things when I know how much they are. The phone broadband is a bit annoying as it varies

      Delete
  3. We always go shopping on a particular day of the week, but when I'm really trying, I add on a day eg instead of Friday, go Saturday, so that would be 8 days. Then, the next week, add on TWO days etc. Before you know it, you're only shopping once a fortnight instead of weekly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to do one shop at the beginning of the month for storecupboard stuff and then once a week for milk and fresh food

      Delete
  4. Your flowers are beautiful. They really brighten the windowsill. I'm trying very hard to reign in our spending. I think it's especially important at this time of year when there is so much out there enticing us to spend. Those apples are a very good price. Nothing like that around here, unfortunately. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We keep things at a round pound to make it easier for people to put the money through the letter box - lots have sold

      Delete
  5. I love those alstromeria Sue, they are one of my favourite flowers. I had some through the delivery man yesterday from M and S for my birthday from my god-daughter.
    Love that Thomas Hood poem too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always try to have a no spend month every month.
    And fail terribly!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I left a comment on your lime marmalade post that isn't there? Maybe blogger was playing up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mystery of the disappearing comment

      Delete
  8. We tour the area and ask if we can have fruit where people don't pick it themselves. Apples, pears and plums all happily offered, in return we take them a bottle of cider, perry, or a jar of jam or chutney.
    I really hate shopping for most things apart from books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea and I'm with you on the books - but not this month

      Delete
  9. good luck on your challenge!
    we had fog this morning too, but it soon burned off. Looks like the weather people might be right about us having a mild November (I refuse to call it 'hot' as I've seen it predicted as!).

    Love your flowers. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fog lifted for an hour this morning then rolled back in again, we were outside and could actually see it coming over the field - weird.

      Delete
  10. The flowers are lovely. Our fuchsia is still in full bloom which amazes me for the time of year. Those cooking apples are a bargain at £1 a bag, makes me wish I lived near to you. I'm fed up of opening my purse lately, but there always seems to be something to buy, especially with children. I'm going to try and keep an eye on my spending this month just to see where it all goes. We've had the windows and doors open today but it's gone cold and very foggy here this evening. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're selling lots of apples which is good. A nasty foggy day here almost all day

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much for that poem - I was trying to remember it this morning but couldn't remember enough of it in the right order to google it and I didn't know the poet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Sue - it is funny to think of your November compared to ours....we are in mid Spring here in Australia and thus everything is opposite to that charming poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont think I could ever get used to Christmas in the summer!

      Delete
  13. A challenge indeed! Hope Col's checks go ok...and good luck with the selling...I know all about tense times. Jackie. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - fingers crossed all round!

      Delete
  14. Your flowers are lovely. And so are your apples. Wish I lived closer (instead of across the pond from you); I'd have asked for your windfall apples! Wish you well with keeping your expenses down this month. I'm going on sick leave this month, which will reduce my income to 75% of my regular salary. I anticipate having some additional medical expenses, but I should be OK.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wish I could send you some apples. Plenty to spare

    ReplyDelete
  16. Found the pin tin today, and it was almost empty. Which means the full one is still out there somewhere!

    ReplyDelete