Sunday, 15 November 2015

Halfway Through November

Quite a rough night last night, the gale woke me up a couple of times. My twenty minute quick walk up and down the road this morning was a bit hairy as it took me past a wood where the trees were creaking and groaning in the wind. One small branch was hanging down close to the road caught on another branch,  I was able to give it a tug and lay it in the ditch.

 Mincemeat was made yesterday using half measures of  Delia's recipe.
  I say her name through gritted teeth as she lives in Suffolk but owns much of Norwich City football club. There are even old photos of her when she first moved to the county at an Ipswich Town match sporting a blue and white scarf. Now she wears the 'enemies' colours! (Sorry, the above is only relevant to people born in Suffolk who have a passing interest in football!).

This morning we decided to use our NT card to go and look at the Christmas Fair at our nearest NT venue Sutton Hoo.  It's several years since we last went and they have improved the Ship Burial exhibition but unfortunately the Christmas Fair was mainly expensive craft items which were out of my price range. There was a big stall with Artisan bread, it smelled wonderful but I left the £8 loaves on the stall! Didn't even see anything of interest in the second-hand bookshop. I guess you could say it was a good morning out as we spent nothing.

Talking of spending - or not- the total outgoings for my Low Spend November Challenge at the halfway point are £590. This includes the direct debits for council tax, water, phone/computer and charity. Plus Daughters birthday gift, the first of the Christmas gifts, cat food, an item for the smallholding, pharmacy, postage, household cleaning and food. It sounds a lot but it will be easier to judge if I was successful at the end of the month.

Welcome to Catsngrams, a new follower. At the moment Google won't let me find out if you have a blog.
Thanks for comments yesterday.
.

Back ASAP
Sue


25 comments:

  1. I bought my mincemeat for this year, last year for 10p a jar! It's a luxury branded one too. As always, I add a glug of grog , some freshly grated apple and then some orange zest. Tastes homemade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall be searching for 10p mincemeat in January, tho' the chances of finding any here are low

      Delete
  2. Your economy measures sound pretty successful Sue.
    Your weather sounds, if anything, worse than ours - we have strong winds but onlu intermittent showers today and the flood waters are quickly draining away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very little rain in the last few days here and a decent day today after the strong gusts of wind overnight. I'm glad the river levels are dropping up your way, I heard about the flood warnings

      Delete
  3. I've always wanted to go to see Sutton Hoo, after seeing finds at British Museum. Any tips for a visit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some good walks around the site but I would say try and go when they have one of their special 1940s days for added interest in Mrs Prettys House

      Delete
  4. That looks a tasty recipe. I have mine (windfall apples too, so free on that part!) in my big earthenware jar and I could float on the smell when I take the lid off!

    It's frightening when we add the big utility etc bills up isn't it? I remember when we moved here, the "rates" on this property were . . . £80 a YEAR. Now we pay something like £1400, which is several times what we ever paid when we had a mortgage on the place.

    £8 for a loaf, artisan or no, is blardy ridiculous! There was a lady with a stall at our local car boot sale recently trying to get £5 for a sponge and £7.50 for Bara Brith. I didn't like to tell her that they were too tight to buy even my SLICES of home baked cake at 50p a slice the previous week (though one generous lady came and bought £9 worth all at once!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even their sausage rolls were £2 each!!
      We are going to have a shock when we have to pay for heating after all our years of free wood

      Delete
  5. I love your blog I am so happy that I found it. My people came from Suffolk. it is like getting to learn what they were like. Thanks Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are both born in Suffolk and lived here all our lives - 60 years for me! I hope you will enjoy reading

      Delete
  6. Goodness gracious me 8 squid fro a loaf.....now wonder you didn't buy one. What on earth warranted that price. Warm and windy here on the coast of Essex with lots of sunshine The washing dried a treat and the clothes required the minimum of ironing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been some sort of special flour in that loaf, I couldn't believe it. The wind was warmish here too though it turned chilly just before dark

      Delete
  7. How I wish we had something similar to the NT in Canada. No such thing here. Museums are expensive. So I make do with the free outdoors! :) Love your blog Sue. Love reading blogs from UK, so interesting in detailing life 'cross the pond whether about frugal living or not. Beautiful day here in Ontario, +12 C with a gorgeous sky. ....... Be well Sue & Cal and everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just have a years membership of the National Trust as it is quite expensive to join but we got our moneys worth when we were away on holiday. We hope to visit other places - health permitting - all through next year.
      I'm glad you enjoy reading, it is impossible for us in our little country to imagine the Hugeness of Canada - and the winter cold in the north!

      Delete
  8. £8 a loaf, were they selling lots, I think I could do us a few months worth of bread at that price.
    Still lots of wind here but thank goodness a dry day, I made my mince meat a while back to use up some dried fruit odds and ends.
    We keep talking about joining the NT but were waiting until we know we have the free time to utilise it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see many people buying anything at any of the stalls - not surprising at those prices. It needs about 5 or 6 visits to some of the big NT places to get your moneys worth. We will have the time and I hope we will have the good health - fingers crossed.

      Delete
  9. I haven't been around lately so am catching up a bit. I smiled when you said that about Delia. My cousins moved from west Wales to smack between Ipswich and Norwich! They ended up tossing a coin for who to support. Football rivalries, eh?
    Quite envious you are near Sutton Hoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is mostly a friendly rivalry except for the real fans then it's a serious business.
      The exhibition at Sutton Hoo is better than when it first opened and hopefully will keep getting better

      Delete
  10. Gosh, what a price for bread! I would have left that too, but would have loved to have gone to the Christmas fair! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Artisan bread is a scourge. I thought £3 for a loaf was mad, but EIGHT???!!! Thanks, I'll stick to Kingsmill.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are the kind of people that give artisans a bad name. Even using organic flour I could get loads of bread made for that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. EIGHT POUNDS!!!! I hope it was gold plated and stuffed with diamonds at that price. I wonder if they sold many.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eight pounds ... bloody hell (and I said that aloud as I read your post).

    How can they possibly justify that for BREAD!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for clearing up the Delia business for me! I was a keen Swap Shop viewer in the late 1970s and have always told the Best Beloved that she was an Ipswich supporter then (I think it came to light when they were in the FA Cup final) but he didn't believe me because of her current Norwich Involvement. Blogland is so educational!

    ReplyDelete