Saturday, 14 November 2015

Beanz Meanz........

 ........ more beans next year.
Wherever we are living next year I hope to grow a few things including runner beans, and here they are, shelled out yesterday from beans dried from this years crop.

Yesterday I just about got the washing dry before we had heavy blustery showers, followed by sun again later. We popped out in the afternoon for picking up tablets from the doctors and a few bits of shopping including an orange and lemon for the mincemeat. Col went and looked at the self-storage place in Leiston because there will be some furniture that won't fit in a small 2 bedroom bungalow. But what a lot they charge.To have somewhere for the dining table, chairs, boxes of crockery etc it would be a £100+ a month. That's crazy, it would be better to sell the stuff at auction and buy second-hand things later if we need them.

My low spend November saw me avoiding some yellow ticket reduced to clear boxes of local handmade chocolates and walking straight past the magazines again, just picking up the free Coastal Scene paper instead. So to add to last Tuesdays running total is £1.32 for fruit and veg and £4.19 for other stuff, 56p for pharmacy and £9 Christmas presents. I've also been ordering pressies from the childrens Amazon wish lists.
We've topped up the car with diesel after the hospital visit and house hunting trip because Col is up to hospital again next week. I shall do half monthly running totals tomorrow.

 I missed out the 13th money saver tip yesterday which was - If you need more than 2 prescriptions from your doctor each month then a prepayment card will save you money. This is quite apt for the-man-who-was-never-ill-until-he-hit-56 because now he has so many different tablets to take that it would cost us over £80 a month. The alternative to the prepayment card is to reach the age of 60- like me- then prescriptions are free. The odd thing is that while individual prescription costs go up each April the annual prepayment card hasn't gone up for a couple of years.

Tip number 14 was to find out about free events at local museums or look for things like National Trust free open days.Our local museum - The Long Shop  in Leiston is always free on the opening day each season.

Thank you for comments yesterday, are you like Dawn - very cynical  about the whole Children in Need thing or like me - just enjoying watching all the different things people will do to fund raise. Yes, in an ideal world there would be no need for charities, but the world we live in is far from ideal and probably never has been.

Today I plan to get my mincemeat started and then bike down to the village to support a charity sale there.

Back Tomorrow
Sue.

11 comments:

  1. I have 5 lots of tablets each month and the pre-payment card has saved me a fortune. Ouch! £100 per month is a lot to pay for storage, especially if you're not sure how long you will need it for.

    I'm afraid I've become cynical about charities full stop over the years. I don't mind donating goods/food but I think twice about money. It's more to do with the people at the top being paid ridiculous amounts than anything else. And I've never felt the same about Terry Wogan since finding out he got paid to present Children in Need. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am afraid I too am cynical about charities full stop. I give to the ones I feel are genuine - Unicef, Great Ormond Street, Cancer Hospice. Otherwise, apart from putting a pound coin in a collecting box I stick to local charities I know a I lot about. I must say Sue, I admire your frugality and I know, having met you both, that money is not the way to happiness - you two are happy together without spending oodles of money. Do hope you find somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when we looked at self storage when getting ready to move and reeled at the cost, we then built a storage area in our unit at the business, we did consider getting a small shipping container and using that, at least it could be sold after we had finished with it,
    Yes I am very cynical about these big charities and when you look at there accounts it makes for interesting reading, last year from there 107 people on the pay roll, the lowest paid of which there was 3 were earning up to 19,000 the next was 51 people earning up to 29,000 then in stages up to the top earner of 119,000 all are eligible for a pension from the charity of which there was a short fall in the funding,
    I choose which charities I support very carefully, I am not saying they dont do good I just dont like how they use there funds raised by many people who struggle financially.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our bean jar is equally full and waiting for next year! We did storage on downsizing and it was expensive, don't economise on the company it is better to go for a good quality with temperature controlled premises than risk a cheaper and potentially damp one for your most valued stuff. Both times we downsized we did the Gumtree thing first and it was surprising how much we sold for small amounts locally. One occasion coincided with floods so people were desperate to replace with pre loved furniture and we were happy to help in a reasonably charitable way directly. Another time in a more rural and deprived area we also had lots of calls from social services who needed to find furniture and white goods for needy families at a reasonable price. Again it was reasonable charity on our part - we were happy to except £5 for unwanted and barely used tumble dryer if a family were helped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, that's a lot of money just for storing stuff!

    I have to admit, I give to CIN via school, because they always do something to raise money, but I can't bear to watch any of the telly stuff. All that faux jolliness makes me cringe. So I avoid BBC when it's on.

    Freezing today is it not?! Cold, rainy, grey, with a hint of glum. Just the way I like it :O) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Self storage is a sign of he times - I agree with you...sell it and if you do need it then buy second hand. We have been slowly but surely downsizing and minimalising and we do not miss a single thing (and we thought we would)

    ReplyDelete
  7. £100 pounds a month for storage! Crikey that's gone up since we last had to put our furniture in storage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That storage seems to be a lot! I think that you are right, you could sell your things at auction and then go and buy someone else's things from auction when you need them again! In fact, you could probably buy a bigger house, pay £100 for the mortgage and make money on the situation! Not financial advice, but you know what I mean I am sure. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Self storage can e very expensive. Lots of the bigger ones do deals for the first 3 months but after that its horrendous. As you say you would be better off selling it and buying secondhand. The stuff I see on Facebook and Gumtree is amazing. My sister worked at a nursery with a section for special needs for over 25 years. They applied every year for money from CIN but were never given a penny. Like Dawn I hate how much the money raised is devalued by the sky high costs of Administration. I watched some of it but I didn't think it was as good this year as it has been. We did donate though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Self storage ... it's like renting a studio flat for your furniture and other bits to live in. It's something I have never and I would never do. I've sold and re-bought things a lot more cheaply than it would have cost me to store them, and you usually find that once the things are gone some of them don't ever get replaced as you find out what you truly use and need rather than are just keeping 'in case'.

    If it was me downsizing as you are I would pick out all my absolute favourite and 'best' things and only take them with me,and I would sell or give away everything else, it's a very cathartic way to make a fresh start in a new chapter of your life.

    ReplyDelete