Monday, 9 November 2015

9th November and a new-to-me author

I spent all yesterday afternoon and evening reading ( apart from watching the Strictly Results programme - Phew thank goodness Carol, obviously a lovely lady, has gone, her dancing was painful to watch) and finished a whole book.
Stella Cameron - Folly. This was written in 2013 and is crime fiction set in the Cotswolds but written by a popular American author who has been living in the States for many years. Now I have no problem with American authors setting their books over here but because  many words have different meanings here and there, every time you hit a "wrong" word it jumps out a mile. Take Vest - here it is a garment worn under everything when the weather is cold, there it is something worn over the top. Do we regularly use chains on our car wheels in winter? Not that I know of. There were other little things that made me wish it had been proof read by someone in this country before being published here. But saying that it was a good  read and there is a new book featuring the same characters which I've straight away ordered from the library.

Yet another grey day here, we went out this morning to look at a few bungalows near Ipswich one had been recently modernised but didn't feel right. One had a big garden with fruit trees but was such a tip both inside and out that is was difficult to see past the clutter and the other had been lived in by an old person and needed some work, the garden was what estate agents call "a blank canvas". We drove round the area and decided that it would be such a handy place to live, shops, post office, library and doctor all close. It would be a huge change from here obviously and maybe we wouldn't like it but then it would also be ideal to rent out for an income......some thought needed.

Back Tomorrow
Sue

13 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. They do the same in films sometimes. The film is set in th UK butvproduced in the US and they all have American accents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh estate agent speak, they do come up with some good terms don't they! "garden set to lawn with mature borders and shrubs" I find that generally means overgrown and will require a team of men with machete's to get through it! I think that "blank canvas" is probably better! It must be hard to go from your smallholding to a "normal" sized house and imagine it in your head, but I am sure that once you have seen a few different places you will start to be able to envisage things. Kirsty Allsopp always says that you have to actually see things in person, so I hope that is helping you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'blank canvas' you have to love estate agent speak! It's fun though, going round looking at places. Says she who never wants to move again!

    I get more miffed when drama productions that started off as a hit here, have been changed to fit with the country overseas that has gone bonkers for it. Seems the writer doesn't care if we like it or not as it's obviously more popular elsewhere, and presumably, that's where the serious money is. I am not naming names ;o)

    Your comment made me chuckle! I was the same in the shop. Kept looking at it thinking it was my eyes. Even before writing my post I went to the website and checked again. Yep. £13.25! For one! One! you can copy & paste this link and see!
    http://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat/heaven-sends-hanging-wooden-star-decoration_200-3004201-COD578/

    :o) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on securing the sale and best wishes that you find the home to make just right for you. I agree with you about Carol, much as she seems to be lovely, one step onto the dance floor and she became wooden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We hope you find just the right place Sue - I am sure you will if you take your time and consider carefully.
    I do agree about Strictly - she is one lovely lady but those lifts were so inelegant and it was time she went (although there is still Jeremy!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I've hit on this subject countless times, and I've even written to American authors about it and to publishers. If a book is by an American writer but it is set in the UK with UK-protagonists, then the book should have English word usage, i.e. vest and pants are underwear and not, as to Americans, a waistcoat and trousers. They use so many words incorrectly! Sidewalk for pavement, stoop for doorstep, railroad for railway, and so forth. It is because, in the main, although set in the UK the books are for the American market. It is my guess that the writers and publishers think that the American readers won't know the English translations or are too lazy to work them out! They also "go get" or "go see "rather than "go and get" or "go to see" ... I rest my case!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  7. So is Wales off the plans then? Perhaps with this latest worry over Col's health, you are thinking that staying in Suffolk (and near the hospital) is best. Do you do a "drive by" with these properties first, to see if the area feels right, or jut book to view, and decide by the feel of the house?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure you will find the right house (or one that comes closest to it) eventually. Keep looking. I grew up in a former British Crown Colony, learning British English. Then, I moved to the US and I had to relearn a lot of things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This weather has been life sapping this off shift

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's a few roads in the Cotswolds I have traversed in winter when I worked in Gloucestershire when I wished I had chains! After a few scares I just used to refuse to go to community meetings in remote villages whose village halls were on hills in winter! Scary and its not all chocolate box and friendly either!! I am sure the right property will jump out at you eventually - it needs those ingredients of shop, doctors, bus, etc. If I had the money I would be attracted to Woodbridge.... but then so is everyone else (sigh).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I own an American published edition of Cold Comfort Farm, and the blurb on the back talks of 'West Country Accents', etc. It wouldn't have taken much to ask an actual Englishman to check what they'd written.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am really enjoying Strickly wish I could dance like they do I agree that Carol was the right person to leave this week. I think its a good idea looking at lots of different houses it will give you a feel for what you do want and you walk through one door and know it feel likes home again, dee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blank canvas....doesn't that mean lots of hard work? :-) ha ha - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete