Thursday, 12 November 2015

Yesterday + more money saver tips re-hashed from 2013

Yesterday was Saint Martin's Day or Martinmas, a date that featured often in rhymes about the weather, long before the days of weather forecasts.
If ice on Martinmas will bear a duck
The rest of the winter is mud and muck
 
According to my Chambers Book of Days, St Martin of Tours is the patron saint of soldiers he was born into a pagan family and served in the army. After sharing his cloak with a freezing beggar he saw a vision of Christ and was baptised in AD 354. The cloak became a sacred relic and was carried into battle by many French monarchs. When not in use it was stored in a special sanctuary called a chapella (from the old French chape - a cloak) This is where our word Chapel comes from.
A period of warm days often occurs around this time - so true this year and as the ice on the 11th this year was definitely not thick enough to bear a duck then we may be in for a cold winter.......or not! Because another weather say says that if the wind is SW - it was- then it will stay that way until February and that means a mild winter. I'm thinking we might as well just wait and see.

Yesterday was also the day I used my new jelly bag and stand for the first time. After this disaster back in February  I chucked out the slightly rusty metal jelly bag stand and didn't replace it until we were away in Cumbria and visited the Lakeland shop in Windermere. Then it's taken me until now to start the Quince and Apple Jelly using the easy snap together plastic stand. There are little hooks to catch the edges of  the jelly bag so hopefully I won't have the same messy problem again.
I left it to drip all night and will finish it  today, another item for the Christmas hampers I think.
While I was thinking about Christmas I decided to do another collection of goodies for Father in law. Not so many chutneys but a few bought food things added to the homemade. I can't think of anything he needs being well over 80 and quite poorly. Col's brother still lives with his dad and I have no idea what to find for him for Christmas. More food?
Then I got to thinking of all the things I could make for food hampers if I didn't have a garden and loads of produce and made a list which I will add to when I get new ideas, that's really planning ahead!

Also Yesterday Col had a bit more energy and spent a couple of hours sorting through more things that he wants to take with him. For years we've had a lot of stacking bread crates that we used to use  for taking books to country fairs now they will be handy for piling up with tools etc and stacking in the horse box trailer.

My 11th tip for saving money is one we use all the time so it must have saved us a fortune. It is to invest in a flask and take tea or coffee with you on a day out. We actually take a flask of boiling water, two mugs and a tub with coffee and a teaspoon. A bit of milk in a small bottle and we have a drink as good as we have at home. If we are taking lunch too then it's either a home made salad-in-a-box  and two forks when we've got salad in the garden or sandwiches or rolls the rest of the year.
Tip number 12 was on the same lines - Don't waste money on bottled water - stand a bottle of tap water in the fridge overnight to take with you next day. We almost always take a bottle of tap water with us when we go out, often handy.

Probably Back Tomorrow
Sue

20 comments:

  1. I like all your tips.....I always take a bottle of water when we go out (I get a dry mouth because of tablets I'm on), we usually also take packed lunch/flask when we're off out for the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking a flask saves venturing into a cafe with all the edible temptations

      Delete
  2. I really should make a list of your money saving tips and keep it with me always Sue. I am afraid my friends and I are far too fond of bistros and cafes and spend far too much on coffee and scones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New jelly bag looks good. If we move to somewhere without beams (IF we ever get a buyer that is) then I will have to invest in one too.

    Good tip, one we use too, when we are going to Malvern or doing a Fleamarket or boot sale. Buying food or drink "out" is expensive - how they have the nerve to ask £1.80 for a cup of tea is beyond me! We have tea, and I recently bought my OH a new much bigger flask, and I can have tea too, and this one doesn't stew it like the small one did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use an upside down stool,string and muslin and pegs for jelly straining years ago. After the stool fell to bits I had to buy a straining stand

      Delete
  4. My money saving tip is, simply don't go out, tee-hee! Going out inevitably means spending money ... a paper, a cup of coffee, something you see in a charity shop and think, "Oh, that looks nice ..." or "Oh, that would come in handy ..."
    I agree totally with taking a flask of coffee (or boiling water) out with you, but sometimes it's fun to join café society, but you have to be prepared to shell out shedloads for that fun.
    Bottled water: I bought my first bottle of sparkling water in ages a couple of weeks ago as we had a guest coming and as we seldom drink alcohol I thought it would be nice to offer elderflower cordial topped up with sparkling water. As she didn't want any and was happy to drink tap water, I used the bottle myself last week ... and absolutely loved it. It had a flavour all of its own and sadly, I've bought another bottle this week. Just one bottle, as a treat, you understand! Sadly, our tap water is fine most of the time but at night the chlorine that has been added rises and when you take a sip, say around 4 am, it's like drinking swimming pool water, the smell of bleach is very strong. Standing tap water in a jug in the fridge is a good idea (have done this) but it doesn't prevent the night-time water problem, unfortunately.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have chlorine in our water - or if we do it doesn't taste nasty and as our water is hard, standing in the fridge actually makes it taste better

      Delete
    2. I wonder what they use to clean your water, then? I am assuming that our water has chlorine in it, as that is the smell I can smell, if you understand me, but of course, it might be something else. There must be something in your water to kill bacteria, surely, unless you have it from a spring?
      Margaret P

      Delete
  5. Martinmas was the day when the older and unwanted animals were slaughtered in old times. Farmers had limited means of saving hay and didn't have grain to feed their livestock. No doubt they did a lot of salting and preserving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was in my book too, I love all the old weather sayings and special days

      Delete
  6. Next I'm in Ipswich town in going into Lakeland to have a good nosey around. I'm not a gadget person but I can see the use for some of them. I have an insulated mug I use when we travel anywhere. Hubby prefers a can so I bring one from his stash of cheapies which I coming to an end. I need to buy more next month but they have to be 25p or under which is a huge saving on catering van prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can never find anything in Lakeland in Ipswich, with all the little rooms and stairs, so I always have to stand and look at the board or ask. I do buy their plastic bags as they wash well to reuse and have lots of different sizes

      Delete
    2. This is the time when autumn wheat seeding was completed, and the annual slaughter of fattened cattle produced "Martinmas beef". Historically, hiring fairs were held where farm laborers would seek new posts. November 11 is the feast day of St. Martin of Tours, who started out as a Roman soldier.

      We also always take a flask of hot water with a container of coffee, along with some food in a cool bag. Home produced picnics are much nicer than going into cafe's and a lot cheaper.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I mentioned about St Martin in my post

      Delete
  7. I keep meaning to buy a flask for my expeditions but worry it would confirm me as middle aged

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been taking flasks with us since we were in our early 20s so I don't know what that says!

      Delete
    2. Simon, if you're lucky, you will one day reach an age when you wish you were middle-aged again! Get yourself a flask and be proud to save lots of money. I'm ancient and when I go camping, as I do several times a year with my elderly dog, I have a flask by the kettle and after I've made my cuppa, I pour the remaining boiling water into the flask to start off the next kettle. Every little helps to save money and gas!

      Delete
  8. Glad Colin is feeling a bit better. I love your tips, we don't go for coffee and cake in town any more, saves a fortune. As for water we have a filter jug in the fridge, and fill bottles, bottled water is too expensive for something we don't need to buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we do have a coffee and cake out it feels like a special treat. Col is feeling OK again today but has to stop taking tablets for a week before the camera things so he will be feeling pretty rough I think for several days

      Delete