Monday, 23 November 2015

Did you see...........

I finally caught up on the Ben Fogle programme - Living in the Wild in the UK. The second in the series was about a lady living in a straw bale/ mud hut in the depths of Pembrokeshire. Although she lived alone she allowed other people to also live alone around her, shunning all mod cons except a landline phone - in it's own mud hut several 100 yards from her home. I found the whole idea fascinating. She and her husband bought 150 acres of wild woodland many years ago and lived in old buildings on the land and when she decided to move out of the family home her husband and children didn't go with her and eventually all moved back to England. She said electricity makes her feel strange and she only feels right in natural light,  which must make her winter days very short.

We watched Adele singing  on a special BBC programme Friday night. What a singer she is and how much she has accomplished already. She chatted with Graham Norton between songs and one hilarious bit showed her made up with false nose and chin to audition in an Adele Sound-Alike competition. None of the other girls taking part recognized who she was until it was her turn to sing and then it was really entertaining to watch them suddenly realising that "Hey this girl is good" then " it's her, it's Adele, No - Yes it really is!" We have both of her earlier CDs and I think the new one ought to be added to a wish list.

Col has been watching Darts on TV all weekend. Good Grief, some of those blokes are BIG but the two who got through to the final are a more normal size. Peter "Snakebite" Wright -one of the finalists actually lives in Suffolk. He is a man you couldn't miss in a crowd as he always wears the most incredible clothes and has a bright coloured mohican hairstyle and paintings done on the sides of his head. He certainly brings a different look to the stage when he's throwing his 'arrers'. In a former life, BC ( Before Col) I used to spend a lot of time playing or watching darts. An X boyfriend's aunt and uncle owned a pub so when we went to visit, which we did a lot in our mid teens, we would spend hours playing darts.Then later, boyfriend played in a team at work so I would go along too - mainly for the free food afterwards!

It was an enjoyable Strictly from the Blackpool Tower ballroom, I'm not sure the judges sent the right person through in the dance off? Not a very exciting appearance by Take That I thought and if that was their new single it was instantly forgettable.

Now you know what we were doing all weekend, and with a freezing North wind and a poorly husband, staying in by the fire really was the sensible thing to do.

Now we are on to Money Saving Hint number 23, which was - You need never buy note pads for shopping lists or for phone messages. If you cut up cereal boxes and similar thin card into tidy squares, then keep them in a kitchen drawer or in a box by the phone.

Jack Frost called last night, he left patterns on the conservatory roof, it's his first visit this autumn. Brrrrrr!
Back Tomorrow
Sue

21 comments:

  1. I think Peter should have gone home. His kicks and flicks did not improve and I think Jamelia did a great job, but that is just my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I think based on that one dance alone, Jamelia was the much stronger contender. I think the judges were being naughty and looking at their whole journey though the competition thus far.

      Delete
  2. I watched the Adele at the BBC programme too and thought it was wonderful, what a voice and a really good sense of humour too. I loved the reaction of the fans having their photograph taken with her Oscar for Skyfall when she appeared behind them. I agree with you about Strictly too - not sure Jamelia should have been the one to go, I don't think Peter's jive was instantly recognisable as a jive (I know that has a lot to do with choreography) but it wasn't sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching Ben Fogle every since I first came across him on the TV reality show when they all lived on Taransy for a year, I havent yet seen the one of the lady in the mud hut will try and get round to watching it this week :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Dawn, I loved watching that, too.

      Delete
  4. I loved the Ben Fogle programme - it is vital watching for us.
    And I must say that that Jack Frost is a wonderful artist. If I knew his address I would buy one of his paintings any day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your TV review I will immediately put them on my schedule to watch. I love Graham Norton because he allows the people to speak unlike some of the chat shows hosts. Jack Frost arrived here on the coast of Essex too. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link I will watch that sounds really interesting, we had a hard frost here last night, stay warm x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although we got no lower than -2, not much frost except on the roof! Had to light our wood burner though, for both weekend days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have been watching the same programmes! I agree with your judgments.
    I'm looking forward to Tomorrows Food on BBC 1 tonight too.
    Snow here over the weekend. Not much but it has stuck and the chickens buckets needed the ice cracking yesterday and today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it' certainly cold now. We had a teeny sprinkling of snow on Saturday night. Violet ran out shouting with glee, but it stopped almost immediately and didn't come back. Just frost this morning. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like Ben Fogle current series, both episodes have been brilliant. I can't imagine how hard her life must be throughout the Winter months, well in some ways I can but it doesn't bear thinking about!!

    When he went to fill up the water container from the stream it brought memories back of the Hannah Hauxwell documentary 'Too Long a Winter'.

    Adele was brilliant, what a fantastic voice. I hope she brings our a Greatest Hits CD one day and includes Skyfall on it.

    Lots of frost here first thing and for the first time I had to thaw out the chickens water, but it soon warmed up a touch and went soggy everywhere again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David and both said "Hannah Hauxwell!" when we saw that too.

      Delete
  11. Ben fogel
    He's like a labrador puppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... that's most likely because his Dad is a vet, and they always had black labradors :-)

      Delete
  12. It was cold this morning at 6.45, the car shone with the ice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The ice paintings on the roof are lovely.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  14. The ice on the window reminded me of the frost in my bedroom when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think Peter Andre danced his best on Saturday but that Jamelia has been in the dance off so many times now says something. She did dance better than Peter on Saturday but I also think Peter took more of the judges' comments on board than Jamelia did for the dance off. They do look a lot at who listens most. Take That ~~~ never mind the song ~~~ They were instantly forgettable. Do you think they lip synced? Shame on them if they did.
    Love the Jack Frost art!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is a disgrace that Emma must pay council tax for living in a mud hut on her own land with no services or amenities. What possible reason can any council give for this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Completely agree about Strictly, Peter should have gone and Take That were dreadful.
    Hope you're keeping warm what with the snow and frost.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete