Tuesday, 24 November 2015

24th November and save a £1 tip 24 is.............

.......................grow something to eat, even if you buy a tomato plant for 50p from a car boot sale it will pay you back at least two or three times.
What does the average family without a garden spend on fruit and vegetables? I have absolutely no idea.
For the last 30ish years ( except for 6 months renting before we came here) we've grown as much as we can so it will come as quite a shock if we are unable to grow our food when we move.

I thought I'd spotted the first Fieldfare to arrive, in the Hawthorn tree yesterday - dashed to get the camera, took a photo, went through to show it to Col who said " yes, I thought I saw a couple in the apple tree a few minutes ago."  Darn It!
 

 The birds have got through loads of peanuts and  bird seed over the last couple of days, our neighbour is away so everything has crossed the road to our feeders and by the way this fieldfare and the blackbirds were attacking the hawthorn berries they'll soon be all gone too.

I've had the oven on for some baking today and chocolate cakes have been put in the freezer for when we have people here before and over Christmas.Then I got all the fruit for Christmas cakes soaking in a mix of cold tea and brandy. The recipe I use is on the separate recipe page, then scroll down. It's called Victorian Christmas cake and is a Mary Berry recipe but from  long before Bake Off  when she was famous first time round. I've done the recipe x 2¾ because of making several cakes for gifts. I'll take some photos and add them to the recipe page as the cake is made on Friday.

Although I'm sad that our world at the moment has shrunk so that I'm reduced to posting about TV programmes it was lovely to get so many comments about what we had watched over the weekend. I'm glad several people agreed with me about who was eliminated on Strictly and like Irene said I also can't imagine why Emma- the mud hut lady - has to pay council tax, although I guess everyone has to chip in for roads, fire-service etc.

Back Tomorrow
Sue





















18 comments:

  1. Great tip about growing what you can. We downsized to a place that has very little room for a garden but every year I grow peppers, tomatoes, carrots etc. in large pots or buckets. I grow shallow rooted greens in window boxes set strategically around to get the best sun. I have a small area where I grow squash and then vine it up on a trellis to give it room to spread out. I've had great success and seem to get less bugs that damage the plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we are able to grow something when we move, hopefully they will find out what's the matter with Col and sort him out so he can get back to doing things

      Delete
  2. Its interesting to know what others watch on Tv as very often I find I have missed a program and its only when some-one mentions it I find out about it, like your timley reminder of the mud hut lady :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I wouldn't have known about the Ben fogle programmes if someone hadn't blogged about it - thank goodness for blogs!

      Delete
  3. Hey sue, so many birds in the garden right now. it is like bang, frost and they are in here. I am scared to put out too many bird feeders because of rats. as I am at home I have taken to putting seed in a dish in the garden and refreshing it frequently. I must look up UK birds online and see what are actually coming into the garden.

    Council tax includes fire services, police etc as well. there were other people also living on the land which she rents out. So I would think that it is the same as having a caravan site? You would know more about this than me. Very much love this programme but then I like Ben Fogle Phwoar! lol

    In the summer salad bits are easy to grow, I cant bring myself to part with £1.50 a bag of chopped up stuff that will last only the one day. and oh my, the taste of a radish straight from the ground. Hot and spicy. yes please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Hello, hello, good to see you back in Blogworld. What a horrible time you have had, I hope you are soon back to full fitness ASAP. We are still eating salad leaves from the poly tunnel - thankfully

      Delete
  4. I am midway through Christmas cake baking Sue - I make four - one for ourselves and three more as presents. This year I began by making a Delia recipe for a glace fruit cake - glace pineapple, crystallised ginger, coloured cherries, pecans, light sultanas - it looks so good I am going to make another like it for ourselves, the other two will be conventional ones. I always use rum for our soaking.
    Hole Col is feeling a bit more like his old self. It is bitterly cold here today in a damp wind. Hope he wraps up warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That different sort of cake sounds interesting. i shall investigate my Delia book - although it's a bit late now as i've started my usual ones

      Delete
  5. It is not just the telly, you tell us about all sorts, not least of the books and recipes.
    The growing food bit has made me think, I will give some packets of herb and salad seeds to our grandchildren this year. Things like mustard and cress grow so quickly they could encourage youngsters to go on and try other outside plantings in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words, with Col poorly and us waiting to move it seems as if our world has shrunk to the house and wood shed! ( and the doctors and hospital!)

      Delete
  6. A fieldfare, never seen one, lucky you, you are right about growing even if it is only a few things, I go through tons of tomatoes and salad so I will grow lots next year , it will certainly save us lots of money x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, growing whatever you can not only saves loot, but is very rewarding too. Nothing like digging up your own home grown spuds! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am hoping next year to have some raised beds so i can manage them. Growing lettice tomatoes cucumber etc would save me around £3./5 per week fingers crossed xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading your blog no matter what you are writing about xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. No Fieldfares here yet (leastways not spotted any in the valley), but Blackbird numbers are growing and they love leftover cat biscuits (put out to feed Miffy the outside cat, who I intend to entice indoors once geriatric Fluff has finally left us).

    I am sure even in an urban bungalow you will be able to grow lots of veg in tubs and in a greenhouse. My daughter in Sheffield (who shares an allotment) says she has no room in her tiny garden but if it were mine I would have tubs of this and that although in her defence, it has not a great deal of sun.

    I'm trying to get ahead of myself this year and may even get the overseas cards written today, and ready to post. Go me!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meant to add, I know where the mud hut lady lives in Pembs (or at least her land) as a group of us stayed there after our degree course finished. Very basic barn conversion - nice people, but not strong on personal hygiene, which I discovered when we were doing circle dancing and you all hold hands! Not bitching - but lifestyle very different to how I wish to live. They sell blardy good seeds though (Real Seed Company).

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Christmas Cake is a Mary Berry one as well. It's from her Mary Berry Complete Cookbook published in 1995.

    I spend about £2 on salad, about £3-£5 on veg and about £5 on apples, bananas and oranges. Add on berries and melons etc and it soon mounts up. Great photo by the way. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I must add that the mix of people seemed to change every now and again and people moved on/were replaced - this was 16 years ago, and we were in the only barn with an Aga which provided hot water for baths for the community. It sounds very rude writing about the p-hygiene, but the blokes were, well, pongy! Sorry chaps.

    ReplyDelete