Sunday, 8 November 2015

More wood cutting

It was a wet and windy afternoon here yesterday, with no reason to venture out we just watched Rugby on TV (I was wrong when I said yesterday we would be watching snooker on TV - that's next week  and tennis on the 15th) and read and  I got the Christmas list book out to see how many spaces could be filled in - several ideas still needed, although I've worked out exactly what's going in the hampers for sisters and brothers-in law. I'd like to say what will be included but that will spoil the surprise because my sister might read this. I'll have to take a photo and put it on the blog after Christmas.

Although this is what you see on our sale ad  I'm assuming we will here for Christmas, although the couple we are selling to want to be in by spring for planting, they are in a rented house in Suffolk with a flat in London which is almost sold so it will take a few weeks to sort out. I also need to find out who (family) is where over the holidays. So far we know our eldest is away at the in-laws in Devon and Col's Dad will probably be too poorly to travel over here from Mid Suffolk.

This morning - Sunday -we've been cutting more wood, it's good to have large amount cut as we get through a lot on the woodburner and Rayburn.
This is where I sit to chop kindling wood, I like to keep a few bags ready to bring in.

Clearing the big poly-tunnel is now finished, it's all ready for whatever the new owners want to grow
The middle polytunnel has carrots almost ready, swedes that might grow given time, beetroot at the back right. Lettuce that we are eating leaves from in the foreground, radish and rocket in the middle and at the back are small plants from a £1 living salad tray from Lidl. There were more than a dozen plants Col was able to divide and plant out. On the left the pepper plants are still hanging on with a few peppers still to be picked as we haven't had a frost yet.


The 8th money saving tip from the 2013 list  was swap an expensive hobby for a cheap one.
 Someone Col used to work with had a boat for a while and said it was like pouring money into a hole in the sea. I guess any hobby is as cheap or as expensive as you can afford it to be. Reading is cheap if you borrow library books but expensive if you want to buy everything in hardback and brand new.

Thanks for comments yesterday, it is a little cooler today- thankfully.

Back Tomorrow
Sue



.

26 comments:

  1. My expensive hobby is my horse, which I rescued in April. I need to exercise more and I would rather be on/ with a horse than at the gym.....decided I would get back to my riding and wished I had not stopped to I work.full time...I say do what you like, as you will spend money on something else. Life is too short..be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realise that the sale had reached this point, congrats! I hope that it continues well. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the news is good for after Christmas

      Delete
  3. So pleased you have sold. Looking forward to reading your next adventure and hope all goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe not the Hovel in the Hills we had planned but never mind

      Delete
  4. I took a peek at your real estate ad. What a charming home! I'm glad you have managed to sell it. I understand about hobbies. I read and garden (library and usually transplant or divide what is already growing), so my hobbies are very inexpensive. My husband likes to rebuild cars. Not inexpensive. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have enjoyed our 23 years here - extending and improving but now time to pass the work to someone younger

      Delete
  5. Your home looks lovely and the grounds are beautiful. Really glad to hear the sale seems pretty definite. When you move will you and Col still want a good sized garden so you can carry on being as self-sufficient as you can be? I can imagine it might be hard to give up your lifestyle after so many years. xx PS Living in a village/edge of town sounds a good idea to me. Dipping in and out as and when you want to seems ideal. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will be buying something empty with a decent size garden I hope then we will see how Col is and decide what to do next

      Delete
  6. Glad that you have a firm buyer. That's brilliant news. Are you house-hunting with a vengeance now then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we need to start looking, hopefully something empty so we can save a chain and move in the new year

      Delete
  7. I do not always comment but I enjoy your blog.
    I am going to try you cake from last year but I will have to buy the mincemeat
    The one thing that bothers (?) me is all the wood you burn. Is some of treated or has paint on it that can release fumes that we should not breath ? I have to be very careful about that.
    Very happy to hear that you have a buyer. And good luck with finding a new home.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do burn a lot of waste scrap wood but both the woodburner and Rayburn are closed in so hopefully all the fumes go up the chimney and out into the air, away with the wind and out to sea. It probably wouldn't be a good idea if we were in town or on open fires
      Thank you for the good wishes

      Delete
  8. so good to have an offer on the table. Will keep fingers, toes and eyes crossed that it proceeds smoothly.

    That is a lot of wood! I don't envy anyone the task of chopping that little lot!
    :O) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be joining you in our County town!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations Sue an Col on the sale of your property. I hope it all goes swimmingly and you find a lovely new home for yourselves. Are yous till going to buy a rental and another smallholding in Wales?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not straight away as yet another health problem for Col means it will be sensible to stay in Suffolk near the hospital for the time being. Perhaps we will know what we will do after that by the spring

      Delete
    2. Health issues is the one things that holds me back from getting more rural. Hubby although quite healthy has had a few scares over the years and it's certainly grounding. My compromise is probably on the edge of a town that has good transport links and facilities. The home........a bungalow with a large garden.

      Delete
  10. So happy to hear that you've a buyer for your property. Hope the sale goes through without any difficulties. Hope you'll find exactly the right place to move into, in a place that will be just right for the next phase in your lives. Best wishes from So. Calif.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hope all goes well with the sale.
    your tunnels amaze me!
    cutting all that wood is a lot of hard work,
    we lived off wood cutting work for several years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heres hoping it all goes well for you both, you deserve it after all the work you have both put in, looks like a few bloggers are starting new lives in 2016, I have far to many hobbies I class my hobbies as productive sewing, crafting, gardening and reading although at times they can be expensive :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My hobby cross stitch can be very expensive if you buy kits, I keep the silks and make my own kits, often I won't have the colour required but another one very cols to the original.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh your wood pile looks like ours! I hope we have a poly tunnel like you, eventually.x

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's something so full of promise about an empty and ready to go polytunnel isn't there :-)

    I hope this sale goes ahead smoothly for you both. It sounds like the prospective new owners are excitedly making plans of what they intend to do once they are in .... which is brilliant news.

    ReplyDelete