Saturday, 21 November 2015

Rough weather

I zoomed out in the wind, rain and gloomy skies to Saxmundham to pick up a few bits we needed. While  in Tesco I bought some gift voucher cards for other shops (Debenhams, B & Q etc) for the children and their partners, to go with things I've ordered off their Amazon wish lists.  I shall still need to go to Woodbridge or Ipswich for other cards as the range at Tesco is limited.. We could give them money but sometimes gift money get absorbed into the housekeeping - at least that's what happens here, so with a card they can go into a shop and choose something for themselves.
Keeping to the low spend November I only looked at the magazines (again!) and in the Original Factory Shop  also just looked at the Christmas decorations and Christmas jumpers without opening my purse. Not that I would want a Christmas jumper anyway - some of them are just dreadful.

Thank you for comment yesterday and welcome to Cornelia from Germany as a new follower. Margaret P jumped to the wrong conclusion when I mentioned gift cards, thinking I meant gift tags. But of course I had already said in one of the money saving tips that I make tags from old cards so I was hardly likely to be buying them!

Which reminds me to mention the £1 saving tip number 21.
Every time you come home put any 5p pieces into a savings tin. They get stuck in the corner of your purse(at least they do in mine) and are not missed from the housekeeping. You will be surprised at how they mount up during the year.
A few 10p's have crept into the tin too - every little helps!

We won't be venturing far today in this weather. I have a book to finish before library van day next Friday and when the oven is on for dinner tonight I want to roast some squash for soup and make a quiche for tomorrow.

Back Soon
Sue

14 comments:

  1. It was a wildly cold and windy - so slow - cycle in this morning but thankfully no snow or ice. I have three money boxes for coppers, 5s, and anything bigger. I hope folk like cheap christmas presents

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I count it next month it will be for the Christmas meat.
      Sounds like you will be shopping at Poundland!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for welcoming me. It was extremely windy during the last few days with temperatures dropping continously. We shall see some Snow tomorrow. Good idea to put the small coins into a savings bin when coming home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where we are on the East coast of England just a few miles from the sea we rarely get snow and I hope we don't have any soon.Maybe just a sprinkling for Christmas would be good

      Delete
  3. I can relate to two of your topics today. Many a £10 and £20 of mine given as a present has disappeared into housekeeping in the past. I've learned to spend it quickly on myself as the years have gone on. And secondly, those 5p's are a pain. I have a new purse and there are tiny gaps in the coin section. My 5ps are forever falling out onto shop floors. It's very cold here today and we had a fluttering of snow in the night. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5ps in my purse used to get wedged in a corner so I started taking them out. We won't get so many next year now we don't sell things at the gate

      Delete
  4. I have a pot pig, which I have had for years. All my spare change from my purse goes into that and when it is full to bursting I empty it all out (it only comes out by sticking an old knife into the slot and shaking it) - once there was £54 in it, which was a lovely surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't counted up my 5p savings yet, hope it's enough for Christmas meat.

      Delete
  5. We used to save 10p and anything smaller, but cashed it in last month and haven't restarted yet.

    We have had the first snowfall here and Black Mountain is now white in the distance. I have heard warnings of a VERY bad winter ahead - beekeepers have said their bees have closed up the entrance to their hives by 90% which last happened in 2010 which was perishing cold and snowy . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had thought about running down the cupboards before moving but maybe I shall stock up instead. Snow would be fun ........ for a short while.

      Delete
  6. The year before last I saved anything smaller than 10p. This year, once a week I save all silver coins and keep my copper IN my purse to spend!! Not counted up yet. It'll buy summat at Christmas. I always always save £2 coins too. Got £280 up to now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did the sealed pot thing a couple of times and I do have a copper pot, but 5 and 10p ,s get slung in as well. When it gets a bit on the heavy side I count it into bags and drop them into the bank. It soon mounts up and I can not cope with to big a heap at one time. It was cold and dry here this morning, a bit of recipe testing and play time in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right about 5p pieces. It's always these which get stuck in the corner of my purse!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete