Tuesday, 19 January 2016

Tuesday trip

Col delivered all the sacks of birdseed and peanuts yesterday afternoon, everybody knew he was coming.....nobody had any money in the house......everybody will bring the money up later in the week! We often used to find campers arriving on site with no money to pay for their pitch and it really seems as if we are heading towards a cash-less society. That was one of the questions the new owners asked us last week "do campers pay by card?" but as far as I know it costs quite a lot to get a card reader thingy like shops and businesses have so we always asked for cash - or cheques, but preferably cash! I suppose if we do become cashless everything will be done by phone app or by waving a card. We advised the new owners to ask for payment on arrival, not because people go without paying but if you wait for people to pay when they leave you are never really sure what time they are going.

Today was yet another trip to hospital for Col to have a post chemo blood test, which sounded as if it shouldn't take long. What they didn't tell him last week was that you then have to hang around for a couple of hours to wait for the results to check that you don't need to go on a drip for an hour ( no idea what the drip would be, he didn't ask!) anyway we went to Lidl and B&Q in between times. We've bought a small dehumidifier to use in the shed at the bungalow where we will be storing lots of things and I treated myself to a £2 bunch of white tulips from Lidl, we can't buy flowers at this price anywhere locally.

Bird expert needed! Are these just female chaffinches? though they don't seem quite the right shape or something more interesting. We've seen these two on the niger seed feeder several times but they never seem to be facing the right way, I think they have a slight pink tinge on their fronts. I thought about bramblings but not bright enough colourings. Someone will know I'm sure and I'll keep trying to get a better photo.

Thanks for all the comments yesterday. I love sharing a book title and hearing about other people who've read it or forgotten all about the author. It's funny how scarey proper librarians were back in those days. The chief librarian - Mr Fordham used to peer at people over the top of his half glasses and we though Miss Patterson a real old battleaxe although she probably wasn't even 40 when I started work. The hours we worked were awful - 2 long days a week until 7pm one of which would be either Friday or Saturday and either half a day or one and a half days off each week. We even worked 'til 7 on Christmas eve and New Years eve if it was our night to work. Happy Days? maybe not!

Back Tomorrow
Sue


19 comments:

  1. I reckon they're Redpolls, how lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a credit card machine when I opened my second shop a few years ago. I had managed with cash and cheques with the first shop, the sales went through the roof. Folk don't think of card payments as actaully costing them anything - crazy!!

    It doesn't cost much, you choose your company they supply you with a free terminal that links to your phone line and you are off. I think it was something like 2.5% of each sale and a small monthly fee.

    Although things have moved on even more since then and now you can get Wifi card readers linked through your mobile so that you can sell out and about, this might be a better option for the new owners if they want to go down the card route.

    Your white tulip are lovely, I like that tulips keep on growing while they are in the water, they seem to make themselves at home in their vase or jug :-)

    Sorry I have no idea what your birds are, someone will know ...hopefully. They are very distinctive little things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Top of head appears red/pink. So yes Redpolls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. redpolls! far better than chaffinch, you can tell they aren't chaffies because no white bars on the tail or wing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suppose every health authority operates (no pun intended) differently, but when I was having chemo I had my blood tests at my GPs the week before I was due to have chemo; this is to check that your body is up to withstanding the treatment. So I only had to go down the road to my GP's, not trek to the hospital. But perhaps his treatment is quite different from mine, and they need to now on the actual day of his chemo whether he is able to have it by having the blood test then.
    No idea what the birdies are, but they're pretty. I only know a herring gull from a robin, anything else and I'm totally flummoxed! Oh, I think I could spot a blue tit, but then, it's cold here in winter! (Sorry, couldn't resist that ... if you don't approve my humour, then scrub this out, Sue.)
    I love Lidl's tulips. I went mad and bought TWO bunches of their tulips, purple ones as they didn't have white (my preferred colour) and they've been great. Best buy of all, but a bit extravagant, was a £4 bunch of freesias from Waitrose. They looked indignificant, but there are 8 stems to the bunch and they've all come out and are HUGE blooms and the scent as you go in the room is wonderful. I chose rust-coloured ones, a lovely shade. They sell them in single-colour bunches. Never buy white, though, they simply smell of pepper.
    Margaret P
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never used to have cash at all but now use cash for just about everything. I find that I look three times at each pound coin before parting with it, when it comes to notes I have developed a "touch of the Arkwrights"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cant wait to see what you do with the bungalow. Your kitchen is so pretty where you are, so am hoping for some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's the trouble with hospitals, lovely flowers, I would say the birds are some sort of finch looking at the beak, take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think redpolls too Sue. Love the tulips - good for a cheering up on a cold day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The birds are definitely redpolls Sue. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely tulips just the sort of treat needed on a cold winters day. WE are at the hospitals mercy but I wouldn't want to be treated anywhere other than the NHS. We've always had excellent treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lidl are good for fresh flowers, those white tulips are gorgeous.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely flowers.

    If I may explain a bit about the blood tests and hydration based on my limited experience: I am required to do a blood test the day before any treatment - I go to a lab close to my home for the blood work as that is more convenient, but, at least once, they did it while I was at the clinic, as well, and then I did have to wait for the results. It is to check the white blood cell count, because if it is low, then, your immune system is compromised and one is more susceptible to catching colds and coughs. In healthy people, a cold or cough is a minor thing, I was told, but for those with compromised immunity (anyone undergoing chemo), a cold or cough can easily turn into bronchitis or pneumonia which will need treatment before cancer treatments can continue, and they can't give chemo when one is taking antibiotics, etc. I've been told by my oncologist and primary care doctor, both, to avoid crowded places such as grocery stores, any type of shopping, family gatherings, etc., where someone with a cold or cough might infect me. Since this is our flu season (even though I've had a flu shot), I don't go out in public at all, except to the clinic and back. Even then, I wear a mask to ward off other people's germs. I can't afford to get a cold. Dr. has me taking mega doses of vit. C, etc.

    Anyway, if the white blood cell count is low, then, they give immune booster shots - usually a series of 3 or 4 injections. I used to get the series of 4 shots and after 2 rounds, had pretty bad side effects from the shots and they changed the kind to a different series. (I had my blood count checked yesterday, it was found to be low, and I had a shot today, and there will be another one tomorrow and a 3rd shot on Friday.)

    The drip your husband might get is probably what they call "hydration" here - it is a saline solution given intravenously. The purpose (I've been told), is to flush out the residual chemo drugs still in the system. (I've also been told to drink 10-12 8 fl.oz. glasses of water a day.) Usually, it is only saline, but, depending on the blood tests, they might add other medications to treat whatever the results show. I go in for hydration on the weeks when I don't have chemo - at first it was supposed to have been once a week, but it has consistently been twice a week. I had hydration today and will have another one on Friday. My clinic is located 1.5 hr. car drive away (not too far in actual miles, but the freeway is like a parking lot so no one is going more than 10 miles per hour!)

    This answer was given in an attempt to be helpful; I hope it comes across as that. I am not trying to question why you are doing what you are doing, etc. You can delete it, if you prefer, and that would be fine, too.

    Again, best wishes to you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If they are tiny birds they are probably lesser Redpolls. We have some sharing the niger seeds with goldfinches and siskins this winter. The RSPB website will have more info about them.

    Your tulips must have brightened up a hospital day.Hope the test results were as they should have been.

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovely flowers, and the birds are very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do love tulips and bought a red bunch from lidl last week along with some mini daffodil bulbs in a pot they are already starting to flower. Glad all went well for Col yesterday. Not sure what those little birds are bless them. dee

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd love to be able to recognise birds, so it was great to read the comments and find out what they were. Love white tulips, especially in a blue land white jug just like yours!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete