Thursday, 21 January 2016

Thrifty Thursday, frost and those birds are back

Thrifty Thursday this week instead of Frugal Friday because tomorrow is library van day - at last - so my library books will feature in tomorrows post,

Have their been any thrifty things this week? Not many

  • We took a flask and snack to hospital on Tuesday to save using the cafe ( and thank goodness we did as we were there 2 hours longer than we thought.)
  • Free heat and hot water as usual
  • Used home grown leeks, squash, Brussels sprouts, apples and beetroot plus apricots from the freezer.
  • Home made bread all week
  • Several extra portions of various dinners have been popped in the freezer, handy for me when Col is in hospital. 
  • Got a discount on feed by asking around for who wanted bird peanuts/feed to make up to 10 sacks
I can't think of anything else.

Today was a big bake day and Col choose sultana buns, I choose coffee sponge and by mutual agreement cheese straws were made too. Some are for the weekend and the rest have gone into the freezer. Plus sausage rolls for dinner and to put in the freezer and 2 mince pies with a scrappy bit of puff pastry that was left over from the sausage rolls. A few years ago that little bit of pastry would have been chucked out but not any more!

We rarely get  a hoar frost, the sort that leaves everywhere covered with  frosted edges, perhaps because the air is dryer or it's windier nearer the coast.This morning just for a while everywhere sparkled and I snapped the sage
and the conifer
but it was soon gone and we had a grey morning until the sun appeared.

I quickly grabbed the camera again later because the redpolls were back on the niger seed feeder and facing the right way to see the colours. They'd gone a second after clicking so only just in time.

Many thanks for comments yesterday, regarding which I have a dilemma. When I was posting just 2 or 3 times a week I had time to answer comments individually. Now I'm posting everyday I seem to have to choose between answering comments or reading other peoples interesting blog posts or spend longer on line which would leave me no time for reading which would be a Disaster! I do read all comments of course but what to do about answering??

Which reminds me to reply to Phil - Knodishall church is thought to be  built  in the 15th century around  an earlier Norman building. The tower is 15th Century, the buttresses 19th century but there are much later improvements. There is no record of a village around the church but it seems that the village as it is now grew in the 19th century around a green and mill  ( a mile away) rather than around the church. The Victorian primary school ( now a house) is actually half way between the church and the newer village almost as if they hadn't decided which part was more important.

Oooops nearly forgot to welcome Marjorie, follower 344 in the google pictures

Back Tomorrow
Sue









35 comments:

  1. Lovely photo of the Redpolls, do you get free parking at the hospital, I saw on the news that some hospitals give a permit to those going in for Chemo and tests but you have to ask for it its not volunteered, just wondered if yours did this scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we've just found out today that we can buy a card for £3 and then can park 10 times.

      Delete
  2. In answer to your dilemma question. I am sure no one will mind not getting a personal reply.
    I look forward to your blog each day to hear your news and find out how you are both getting on. It must be enjoyable for you to write it also, so don't make it a chore. Enjoy your reading too!
    Love from Pam in TX.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Pam. I dont expect a reply either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm replying this time to say thank you!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful birds, very vivid looking male there!

    Sadly my idea of being thrifty seems to be buying Asda Pot Noodles for 50p for work. Actually cheaper than buying stuff for sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember pot noodles from many years ago, I hope they taste better than they did then

      Delete
  5. Fret ye not about replying to each individual response, Sue. It's just nice that you are continuing to post daily while you are so busy.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really very busy, at least not compared to when we had 3 children, 100 chickens, goats to milk, sheep and a garden to look after!!

      Delete
  6. I think you will find Sue that those redpolls get a whole lot redder when they get their breeding colours - if they stay around that long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see the Redpolls. We haven't had any yet this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've never seen them before perhaps because this is the first year we've had niger seed feeder

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous photographs today Sue.
    As to your dilemma....I would perhaps just answer if people ask a direct question-x-

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with galant's reply. I love reading your posts and always find something in them to think about or to investigate. Your library books could often be my choice, ( ours come from a mobile library too and we can now request books on line which is a brilliant development) and your bookshelves mine.
    Keep posting when you can, don't let it become a chore. Think of us as extended family who want the best for you both! Of course it's lovely to get a response from you but not at the expense of you not enjoying your blog. Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because it's been 2 months I have a HUGE pile to collect tomorrow - great excitement!

      Delete
    2. How lovely. We have to wait another week so I'm trawling our shelves to find something to read. Can't remember if you've mentioned, "Can Any Mother Help Me?" By Jenna Bailey. It traces the development of a private magazine set up to help women who felt isolated in the early part of the twentieth century. It's fascinating reading and judging by your usual choices a book that you'd enjoy. Sue

      Delete
  10. I'd rather no replies and you post this often, if possible - perhaps answering any specific questions in the next day's post, maybe? However, I'd read your blog however (in)frequently you may post going forward, as I really like your style of writing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy writing and will keep going and thank you for reading

      Delete
  11. Those birds are lovely aren't they :-)

    I just tend to answer any specific questions in my comments (if I can), on days where I have a bit more time I will try and answer everyone, but those days are quite sporadic!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely to read your daily posts, surely it's fine to only answer those comments that really seem to need a reply. I'm happy without a reply, and enjoy the fact that you blog daily again. Best wishes whatever you decide to do, but please don't feel pressured into replying, Vee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like posting daily if I can - more like a diary

      Delete
  13. No worries about individual replies.

    Your comment about using up the last bit of pastry to make two mince pies made me think of my mum who made wonderful pies each week and any little bit of pastry left she made something called currant cakes. She also did something that we called cheese cakes. They seemed to go lovely with a cup of tea or to take with you as you went to play outside. I don't think there was a recipe but in the years following the war nothing was ever wasted.

    Nice photos today. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I second the frequent postings and only replying it there's a specific question. Although, it is nice to get individual responses, too. Whatever works best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you do well to post every day. We are moving into our new house on Saturday and I have not blogged for 2 or 3 months! A personal reply to comments is too much to do when life is so busy. Carry on with whatever suits you. I enjoy hearing about your doings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your redpoll photo. You were lucky to get Mr and Mrs feeding together!

    Don`t worry about personal replies Sue, unless you really want to answer a specific question. I love reading people`s comments on my blog and repay them if I can by commenting on theirs. We are all so busy and there are not enough hours in a day. Your days are going to be particularly full over the next weeks and months.
    Best wishes, DW

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't reply unless it is in answer to a question, instead I try and make sure to visit everyone elses blogs regularly and leave them a comment there. It seems to work for me and my readers so I hope that works for you, especially with all that you have going on elsewhere in your life. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sounds like a nice lot of baking!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope all goes well for him, and you! Glad you got the permit, every bit helps when you are doing medical rounds.

    I would think you'd be too busy to answer lots of questions, but now and again, you might choose to answer a few specific ones, just do what is best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, just catching up on my blog reading after weeks of missing.I have missed so much andjust want to send best wishes to Col and to you x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmmm coffee sponge. Two words that make me very happy!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete