Thursday, 28 January 2016

Thrifty Thursday and a not much news day

Yesterday after posting I decided it was time for a new header. It took me an age to remember how to change the picture, I should have made a note as I went along. The blog is heading towards 3 years old and this is my 3rd different header. Thank you to everyone who said they liked it, it's from a postcard.( probably copyrighted - whoops! but I'll do a new one once we've moved house). While typing this I was wondering how many of the blogs I read were around 3 years ago and it's quite a few, but many more are newer writers.

Thank you also for comments yesterday.
In reply :-
 I think Bovey Belle is right about some people getting the best picks in charity shops, I've often thought it would be good to volunteer in one but then sometimes  hear the volunteers talking and they are usually gossiping about the manager or the other volunteers. The Hospice shop in Leiston is the worst for this, there are two women who work there who are always saying quite nasty things about people they know. Not a nice atmosphere to work in.
The reason we have quite large bird feeders is because Col bought some mesh and made them years ago. We wanted some that were quite weighty and wouldn't blow about in the wind. The bottoms are jar lids wired on and the tops are whatever he could find to fit over.
Our son is a lovely fella, drove us nuts as a child as he spent his whole time tormenting his older and younger sisters!The job he has at the moment - working on old World War II USAF bases - is so perfect for him as he did his dissertation for his Archaeology degree on almost the very same subject. I think in a way he would still like to be just digging up interesting things! but there's not much of a living to be made in that sort of archaeology job.

Thrifty Thursday Thoughts - not many
 Cut an inch off the bottom of a pair of Col's trousers and turned them up to stop them getting grubby. They were from a charity shop and I've been getting around to this job for about a year!
Free heat and hot water as usual
Home made bread as usual.
Used our own beetroot, leeks and apples from store.
Reading library books for free
Celery soup from the outside stalks of a very poor quality head of celery.
I gave Col a free hair cut!

I see  Google Friend Connect is doing funny things again. 3 new people - welcome Carolyn, triplebc and Nessas crafty place but numbers are down by 4. Odd.


Back Tomorrow
Sue

18 comments:

  1. Went into the local charity shop one day and a volunteer came out with two or three boxes of beautiful old dishes, etc. she said to another volunteer, "could you ring me out?" And when the other woman asked her where she got all of that, she replied " in the back"...so she got to take out all of the best things before they even got put out...I find VERY LITTLE there anymore. I used to get quite a bit. And the clothing shop seems to be full if Japanese, Indians and Mexicans, filling their trolleys to the top...odd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've suddenly lost 6 followers overnight. I thought it was something I'd said!

    My daughter used to volunteer in a charity shop in Sheffield, where the manager THREW OUT anything which wasn't 100% perfect. T got some bargains by offering to buy stuff which was in the bin, and I had a lovely leather handbag this way, just because it had a small biro mark on it. Makes you wonder what goes on behind the scenes, but I have to say, round here we don't really bother with them any more, except to donate things ourselves. The (many) Ringwood ones were quite good last week though.

    I'm so glad that your son has such a good and satisfying job in Archaeology Sue - getting field archaeology jobs is virtually impossible - it's who you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lost two followers - wonder if google is doing a purge of inactive accounts? Oh I wish I was thrifty. And not so prone to snacking *eyes sushi in rucksack*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a charity shop manager for twelve years and unfortunately it does go onin some shops are rife with people who volunteer for what they can get out of it ,I controlled it where i worked by telling the staff the item should be on the shop floor for a day before they could by it , There are some fantastic charities out there who do a fantastic job and can control this unfortunate part of the charity shop business and some wonderful volunteers who volunteer for the right reasons and without them the charities would not survive , The bitchiness is the most difficult part of the job to deal with as because people volunteer you hands are tied with discipline procedures and if a volunteer has been taking there pick and and for some reason they are not able to do so anymore they can be very damaging with gossiping untruths about honest people in spiteful acts of jealousy, Sorry to get on my soap box its a subject i feel strongly about for various reasons , This is the reason i gave it up over 6 years ago xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue.. not been in blogland for a while and missed quite a lot it seems. You've sold and moving.. good luck with that. Sorry to read about Col.. there's me explaining in my new post why I've been absent and there is you and Col actually dealing with it..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree with myshabbychic.I have both worked in and volunteered in two different charity shops and not once have workers or volunteers got first pick.It would be against the rules of both charities.Both shops had great managers who put in more hours than they got paid for ( minimum wage )and it does dishearten me when I hear bad things about other charity shops as they all seem to get tarnished.Please remember when some volunteers leave because they are there for the wrong reasons they do spread untrue stories ,dont believe everything you hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, things have had to be out on the shop floor before any staff can buy them in every shop I've worked at too.

      Delete
  7. Blog followers I think if they dont have a google account google removes them. John Gray posted something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The charity shop (it calls itself a "boutique" as it's at the posher-end of the genre, or so it likes to think) I tend to take things to or buy things from always has a very friendly atmosphere with lovely staff. It's a shame they're not all like this shop.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't talk to me about charity shops. Since Mary Portas did that programme a few years back they are now spoilt, and charge too much. Once I was not allowed to buy something from the charity shop because the manageress had only just put the dress on the model in the window, and wouldn't take it out again. And after I witnessed a man being refused his donation. His wife died a few days earlier and took her stuff in the volunteer said sorry we cannot take those, and when he left the shop she said in a loud voice they were smelly too, needless to say me and my friend who were waiting at the counter to just put a bits back and left too.
    My blog followers have been going down all week.
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie , I never refused donations because there is always something worth selling it might only be one thing but it annoys me when charity shops refuse donations as they sell the unsuitable rag on and get around 50p a kilo so a black bag full of rags can add at least £2.00 depending on weight for the charity xxx

      Delete
  10. love the header photo. Perfect for you. Well, and me but it's not my blog! :O)
    Hope Col is doing ok, and you, it must be hard for you too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the header too! I also have overheard charity shop staff bitching about other staff. And I took some donations in the other day and the two women behind the counter barely acknowledged me (they weren't the usual staff I have to say). They just carried on chatting. I almost wish I hadn't left the stuff. I'll still keep chazzing though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've gone off charity shops a bit these days - they're just too expensive for some things! I was put off one in particular as they've had a pile of wicker baskets in their upstairs storage room window for months. My hubby enquired if we could buy one to fill up with xmas gifts. Their answer was "no, they're for our display". The baskets haven't moved in a year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Agree about charity shops Sue - ours here are just the same these days.
    I envy you the celery. That and prawns are the two things which the farmer can't bear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the new header - we are just off the map in Stansted Mountfitchet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Google Friend Connect is definitely doing strange things, I'm down by almost a hundred followers overnight. Hopefully now that they have stopped this messing about numbers will even out and the followers they have erased will either just carry on without us knowing or find another way to make their presence known.

    Love the new header, you should be okay for copyright purposes as the original picture is at least signed ... fingers crossed ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am amazed in charity shops, sometimes they welcome you with open arms and other times I have been turned away with really good things to donate - a velvet and very expensive Laura Ashley evening dress once! I told them just to take it anyway! xx

    ReplyDelete