Saturday, 30 January 2016

How one book leads to another

Toward the end of last year I read My Life In Houses by Margaret Forster.    I'd not read any of Forster's books before but it had  popped up on my Amazon suggested reading list because I'd looked up Angela Thirkell's - Three Houses.  A couple of people suggested her other autobiography "Hidden Lives", which I ordered  and picked up from the library van. Now I've just finished and enjoyed that - though it's not a particularly happy memoir - and thought perhaps I should check out her fiction even though I assumed they were a bit too literary for my taste but 'Diary of an Ordinary Woman'  sounded interesting. Now here's the weird bit ................. I went to Leiston this morning for milk and to check out the new EACH charity shop, in fact I went round all 5 charity shops we now have and found nothing I wanted/needed at all. So heading back to Co-op, passed the hardware shop which has a basket of  (usually tatty) second-hand books outside with a SCF collecting box attached, and there, sticking up in the top was Margaret Forster - Diary of an Ordinary Woman. How odd is that! needless to say I popped 50p in the collecting box and the book into my bag!

It's sods law  that the day after I posted  Cols doctors note form thing off to an office up north, attaching a stamp (to apply for any benefit he might be entitled to) we then get a letter in the post containing a pre-paid envelope for us to use? Damn - my efficiency cost me 54p!!
 But before that note could have possibly got to the right place we had a letter to say he is eligible for £73 a week -  that's good but in another letter on the same day, we had a giant form to fill in and return which says if you don't return it you won't get the £73 a week!
In all the 34 years Col worked for the County Council he only twice had more than a week off work and we never claimed a thing when he was self-employed and unable to work due to the heart problems. So it will be quite an 'adventure' claiming anything - but I fear not in a good way!

Thank you for all the comments yesterday

Back Tomorrow
Sue


20 comments:

  1. It was fate you got that book! I'm intrigued by it now!
    Anything to do with the bloody Govt and form filling is a sodding nightmare ( sorry - I'm here in an I'm avoiding doing the books moment!)

    It's a gloriously sunny bright freezing cold windy day Oop North, hailing on and off. Just thought I'd mention it!!

    Love t you both Sue, I'll be on a blog reading catch up once the tax return is returned!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just shining finger nails on collar and saying I always do my tax return withing 2 weeks of the form arriving - ie Last April!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret Forster is an excellent novelist. I have enjoyed several of her books, including a rather fey one, The Bride of Lowther Fell. Also Keeping the World Away is a lovely read. If you look her up on www.fanststicfiction.co.uk you will see all her books listed.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  4. That book looks interesting, and you had a lucky find
    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely sounds like the "universe" wants you to read that book! I despise filling out forms. I have to fill out insurance forms to get money back for my son's orthodontic work (thankfully our plan covers about 1/3 of it). I think it is archaic in this day and age that it can't just happen on a computer the moment I pay for each visit, so I still have to fill out and mail forms. I truly hope you two get some benefits after all of your husband's years of hard work. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Genuine claimants not claiming what they are entitled to helps them massage the figures. Hence the state puts out forms that only an enigma machine could fill in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the forms, they can be a nightmare, Macmillan helped us with ours, we used the local center in our hospital, they knew they right answers and suggested other things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh Sue, just trying to catch up on blogs and read yours. What a shock I had. I'm not surprised with how you're dealing with it. I don't know if positive vibes will in any way help but I'm sending them to you anyway xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.I've so missed your positive vibes :-) and hearing about your family and the dogs and the Cakes!and the lovely Dorset weather. I hope everything is OK with everyone

      Delete
  9. Gosh Sue, just trying to catch up on blogs and read yours. What a shock I had. I'm not surprised with how you're dealing with it. I don't know if positive vibes will in any way help but I'm sending them to you anyway xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not too sure what you are claiming but is col eligible for pip and then would you be eligible for carers allowance? neither are means tested and only carers is classed as taxable income. An earlier poster mentioned macmillan they are very useful and the cab. Just a thought my hubby has cancer and we get free parking at the hospital. My hubby is like yours and has only had in all his working life six months contribution based jsa so we feel if we are entitled to it we will claim it. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a brilliant find, you were destined to get that book. I looked up the book you've recommended and the cheapest I can find it at is £12 so I'm going to see if the library has it first.

    I'm sure you've looked into the financial side of things but the Macmillan nurse attached to the consultant at the hospital was really good knowing what Tom was entitled to when he was diagnosed. It might be worth looking into a blue badge as well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Claim what you can you've worked hard over the years. I put off my tax return until I'm in the mood to deal with it. I ended up submitting ut in November.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was going to say that my friend who has cancer has that amount too. It will certainly help your finances. He may get a free blue parking disc (my friend also has this as she was hardly able to walk a step let alone the supposed 100 yds at one point). That may be worth looking into as well if it isn't automatically sent (as it was with her).

    You obviously summoned that book up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If this is a DLA, PIP or ESA form - DLA I am guessing? - get the Macmillan people to help you, they will know exactly what to put on the form - which might not be what you think it would be! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Margaret Forster is a really good writer. You might enjoy "Ladies Maid", which tells the story of Elizabeth Barrett Browning`s elopement with Robert Browning.

    Good luck with getting all the help that you can.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sue,, never worry about claiming any benefits to which you are entitled - Col paid in for long enough, so take what is owed to you.
    I like Margaret Forster's books and pounce on any I have not read.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love her books - The Travels of Maudie Tipstaff was the first one I read - an excellent read, very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A friend is currently reading Forster's biog of Elizabeth Barratt Browning and says that it is excellent.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the happy coincidience of finding a book in a charity shop that you've just heard rave reviews about.

    I hope you manage to claim everything that you are entitled to, it's a real bugbear of mine that the folk who have worked hard and put into the system struggle to get anything out of it but the serial claimants that start the day they leave school and continue until the day they are buried do so well out of it.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete