Monday, 18 January 2016

The naivety of a 16 year old

I hope you enjoyed the local history links yesterday, it's always odd to go down that end of Aldeburgh and know that between the sea and the river there was once enough land  for a small village, but now all washed away.

Yesterday I finished Rose Cottage,
book cover of 

Rose Cottage 

a short fiction book by Mary Stewart that has been sitting on my bookshelves for umpteen years. When I first started working in libraries aged 16 in 1971, she was a very popular author. Her first book Madam Will You Talk was written in 1955 and was followed by several more which I think are classed as romantic suspense. Then she wrote a trilogy of really large 'meaty' books about Merlin and King Arthur. I think it was the first of these, written in 1970, that I enjoyed so much and thought it so good that I can remember asking the old spinsterish reference librarian  Miss Patterson (it was an old fashioned library and we were all called by our surnames!) if she thought it would become a classic. I can still remember her huge hoot of laughter as she said " I really don't think so!" I remember feeling extremely silly.
Front Cover

But look what is say's on the front of a more recent edition " THE FIRST IN THE CLASSIC MERLIN SERIES.
Ha Ha Miss Patterson, not a classic in the sense she meant but maybe I was right after all.

However, Rose Cottage was definitely not a classic and now I've read it I shall add it to the charity shop bag.

The birds need more peanuts and  the feed mill  does a discount for 10+ bags feed.When we had 100 chickens there was never  any problem buying more than 10 bags, so Col asked around everyone we knew locally and we managed to find enough people wanting bird food to take a trip to Framlingham and stock up on peanuts, wild bird seed and 2 bags of chicken feed for our elderly friend who had our last 8 chickens. It's so much cheaper to buy by the sack from the mill rather than tiny little bags from pet shops or garden centres. Col dropped me off in Framlingham so I could do a tour of the 3 charity shops but no pennies left my purse at all.

Thank you for comments yesterday
Back Tomorrow
Sue



22 comments:

  1. You've just reminded me that I need to put new fat balls in my feeder! Still haven't spotted who is eating the current ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sue, that brought back memories of reading Mary Stewart when I was young and thinking she was the bees knees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall have to re-read some of those early books as I can't remember a thing about them

      Delete
  3. I didn't comment yesterday but I very much enjoyed the links you provided on the local history. Some used to say that you could still hear the church bells if the wind was in the right direction!

    Yes when I first went to work in the early 60's in a law office everyone was addressed by their last name. It seemed it was the proper thing to do at that time. I don't remember when it changed as I left the U.K. to live in the Midwest USA. Perhaps one of your readers will know the answer to when things became so much more casual and admit it took me a little while to get used to being called by my Christian name. Seems stuffy now.

    Take care both of you and healing to Colin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many places along the Suffolk and Norfolk coast have already gone or getting very close to falling into the sea.

      Delete
  4. I looked at the price of fat balls for the birds. £11.99 for 30. I have no idea if that is expensive. I keep trotting out to the little bird table with a bit at a time so it doesnt get wet. I love the robin that guards the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can get them at £7.99 for 50 locally,but we get a huge 25kg sack of peanuts for £23, lasts months as long as they are stored in a sealed container

      Delete
  5. Oh BUM. I had to make tomato soup after reading about yours and now I HAVE to look for the Mary Steward books. I read them years ago and had completely forgotten how much I liked them. I think that the first one that I read was Touch Not the Cat. I will try the library first, then the Charity Shops. My best wishes to Col and tell him to go easy on the medication from the chemist, gently bently to prevent any untoward happenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lots were reprinted in about 2011 so should be in the library

      Delete
  6. just stocked up on peanuts and seeds this morning at the animal feed place, I m going to make some fat balls this week hopefully just used the last up from the others that were made

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hubby gets his in bulk from the internet, even with postage it's still cheaper than from shops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some Mary Stewart I've loved and others I've not been able to read at all, but I loved Stormy Petrel. Her books have recently - well, within the last few years - been reissued again with attractive 1950s-look covers.
    When I started working in 1963 I was definitely Miss S...... even though I was only 18. That changed to Mrs P...... when I married in 1964, aged just 20.
    It was a much more formal era and all the better for that, I think. I would never have dreamed of addressing the older employees as anything other than Mr whatever and Mrs so-and-so. By the time I returned to work after having had children, in the middle 1970s, it was all "Keith" this and "Margaret" that. In just a few years such things had changed.
    Margaret P
    PS I have Madame Will You Talk and Touch Not the Cat on the shelf ... maybe I will give them another go ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The nuts I put out are drawing quite a few birds. We had 4 robins this morning. At the weekend Amy, who in her defence has really really bad eyesight, asked me what big bird has a bushy tail. Err, that would be a squirrel! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. We never started putting food out for the wild birds when we moved here, they seem to do well in the woodland and surrounding land. But there seem to be a lovely little band of wrens and other small birds that pick up leftovers in Chicken World, including one little cheeky Blue Tit who waits for me to go over and sprinkle some corn, I swear that the days I'm late he shouts at me from the top of the fence!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poundland have 50 fatballs for £4 here at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven`t thought about Mary Stewart for years, but I did read some of her books as a teenager.

    We have been buying sacks of bird food in recent years. Much cheaper in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You obviously had a great eye to the future and what would be popular!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved The Crystal Cave and The Hollow Hills. They were my favorite for many years and I read them over and over. I think they started my love of the Arthurian legend.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Librarians like that used to scare me to death when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a joy to read your post today about Mary Stewart and Rose Garden. I have that book sitting on my reading table and there's just a couple of pages left to read but it hasn't been read for over a year! I will have to check out her Merlin series. I love the books you share with us. Hope your week is of to a great start, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  17. The house we lived in in Suffolk 1987-90 was called Rose Cottage - as newly weds we thought how romantic it all was!

    ReplyDelete