Monday, 25 January 2016

Monday Memories

I don't really do Facebook - though I am on there somewhere but Col uses his page more often and he said everyone is posting photos of themselves when very young. You can guess where our photo albums are -  In- A- Box - and I refuse to open a box just to find a picture of Col aged 4!


But this is the photo our eldest put on her Facebook page. H and her brother M aged about 3 and 1½, we're not sure which beach, but I think Southwold. Cardi's knitted by Col's mum, a much missed Nana who made so many of their cardigans, jumpers, hats and mittens. Sadly Nana Sue won't be a knitting Nana, maybe I'll be the book Nana!- a wonderful excuse to search out lovely children's books from charity shops!

Son M - the now 6 foot plus archaeologist  will be on Radio Suffolk tomorrow afternoon talking with Leslie Dolphin about the Eighth in the East project. 

Out to Leiston this morning. Col went to the doctors to pick up a couple of things to help with the side effects of chemo, I went in the Co-op and Building Society which put me into temptation because they are fund raising for a charity by selling second-hand books for £1 each, and I found this, a hardback from the 1970's

a few years ago I wouldn't have looked twice at this but Persephone have re-printed 3 of  her books recently which I enjoyed so I thought I would bring this home and add it to the boxes. I looked on Amazon to see what they were selling for and some of her books are crazy prices. Not this one though - it's only worth a fiver!

I've finished the first of my library books - Silent Nights, Christmas Mysteries edited by Martin Edwards. One of the British Library Crime Classic reprints. It is short mystery stories dating from the 1890s (Conan Doyle) to the 1950s. Some were by well known authors  such as Edgar Wallace and Dorothy L Sayers and others long forgotten. A good read.

It's so interesting how the National newspapers have picked up Mean-Queen-Ilona's story from her local paper. I looked at the Daily Mail on line article where there were 100s of comments - some quite nasty and then Col said Radio Suffolk were talking about it this morning and her story had also been featured in The Sun on line. They seem to think she must be miserable living how she does but those of us who read her blog know she's certainly never miserable - a little odd sometimes maybe, but a kind, thoughtful and independent lady. I normally avoid anything to do with national daily papers but decided to register on line to have my tuppence worth and speak up for Ilona's thrifty-ness.
Many years ago we were featured in the local paper as being The Self-sufficient family and a few days later someone from the Daily Mirror turned up on the doorstep ( this was before the age of internet) and wanted an interview. I'm so glad I refused.

Many Thanks for comments yesterday
Back Tomorrow
Sue


20 comments:

  1. I was contacted by a one show reporter last year saying they wanted three people to go on to the show to share tips , Glad i didnt , They were on for a few minutes each with one tip , Ricky from Skint Dad was on there , Why cant these producers/ journalists do an article or program that doesn't take the mickey and just show people how it really is done it takes more than one article or series of programs with some really pathetic tips (superscrimpers) to learn people how to save money xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. scavengers they are. turn anything around to mean something it isnt. for every 20 vile comments on there, there is one where they point out that she is living a life she wants for a lot less money than others. rather than condemn her, they should give her a standing ovation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the snaps of your two little ones from a few years ago on the beach. Exactly how my mum dressed us growing up that is warm cardi or jumper and nothing on the legs. We were all brown as a berry. Looks like a strong breeze was blowing.

    Glad you went and posted a positive comment in support of Ilona's - the tea bag thing is plain silly completely taken out of context. Ilona doesn't normally drink tea and told the reporter to bring her own because all she had was coffee.

    Hope the Rx works for Col.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its awful what newspapers do to individuals. Her story was full of inaccuracies. I couldn't live like her but each to their own. At least she's not a burden on society.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've loved looking through facebook at everyone's childhood photos. Your child are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the picture of your children when they were little bitty! How precious! Have been saying prayers for Col as he deals with chemo, and for you, too. I read "Life After Money" from time to time and was surprised to see how inaccurately Ilona is portrayed in the Daily Mail. She can be a little different (as we say in CA) and her lifestyle wouldn't be for everyone, but it's heartbreaking to see her portrayed as a joke. As for the comments? Well, the internet makes rudeness too easy and acceptable... which is changing society in ways that aren't good. Ugliness towards one another is now the norm. Add reality TV shows filled with people behaving badly, and basic manners/decency are disappearing. Soon to be gone from everyday life. Such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Sue to not be too tempted by those books. Like you I just can't pass a book sale without finding a few books I just cannot manage without.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'll enjoy the Stevenson book. I think she was a wonderful writer. To find one with such a nice dust jacket is a real catch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'll enjoy the Stevenson book. I think she was a wonderful writer. To find one with such a nice dust jacket is a real catch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My new favourite charity shop in our local town sells all their books for 20p, or, wait for it, 5 for £1.... Must remember to question that next time I'm in there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a superb photo of your babies on the beach.

    Been very mild today hasn't it. Hope your week has started off well :O) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the lopsided grins in the photo, even though they both look like they are having a dump

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Screamed with laughter at this! (and I wrote sh*t instead of this to start with!)
      Margaret P

      Delete
  13. I love that picture of your children on the beach with the sun and wind in their faces! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been reading mean queen for over 4 years, I enjoy her blog. I would not make all the choices she does, but I respect her for being so kind and for her effort to help others find their own way. Most of thee English blogs I read, and there are several, have all come about through a link I saw on her blog.

    That is a really cute kiddo photo on top, such amazing hair and smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment is not about this post but not sure where to put it. I read a comment from one of your followers about using baby wipes to clean the glass on wood burners and I have to tell you how brilliant this has been. Hope all goes well with Col and your move. You may need to call on family and friends for help with your move. Don't overdo it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely photo of the children. I have one of me and my siblings on a beach at Blackpool looking equally as windswept. My Nanna was always knitting things for us when we were little. She was that good that even as teenagers us girls in the family would turn up with wool and knitting patterns for complicated latest must have woolies. Her work was lovely and never once did it feel old-fashioned to wear something she'd made. Hope whatever you got for Col is helping him. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the photo :-)

    Yes, I've been online sticking up for Ilona, ticking a few boxes and answering some really stupid accusations. Why don't folk read the article properly before wading in with their derogatory remarks. It's a good job Ilona has a large band of loyal followers and friends. She's here there and everywhere today doing interviews, I hope she's enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete