Monday 26 January 2015

First book shelf pictures and Monday diary

Posting pictures of my bookshelves every day is going to be an easy way to fill up my posts, it will make me lazy!

Anyway, here is the first of my book shelf pictures, these are actually right on top of the bookshelves. I have most of the Miss Read series published between the 1950s up to the 1980s. I read  most of these while I was working in libraries between 1971 and 1980 and decided to look out for them from charity shops a few years back when I wanted to re read and found the library hadn't got them all. They were surprisingly easy to find secondhand.

 and on top around the corner are Gervase Phinn's brilliantly funny school inspector stories which are being propped up by some of the Narnia tales by C.S Lewis. Nothing bought new here either.
Then also on top of the shelves are my collection of Christmas books, alongside some Arthur Ransome. Almost all these are from charity shops etc except for Keep Calm at Christmas which was a gift a couple of Christmases ago. To the right and out of the picture beside Mr Ransome  are my only 2 Observer books - Architecture and Glass. I don't know where they came from. That makes a total of 70 books on top of the tall shelves in the alcove under the stairs.

*    *     *     *     *     *     *

We cut some wood yesterday and a bit more today, it's frightening just how much we get through. Thank goodness it's free. I like helping with wood cutting, its a very satisfying job, really getting back to basics - apart from the fact that Col is using an electric chainsaw!

 I've been reading a library book by  Tom Hodgkinson called How to be Free.  Here is what is says about the book on Amazon

'How to be Free is Tom Hodgkinson's manifesto for a liberated life.
Modern life is absurd. How can we be free?
If you've ever wondered why you bother to go to work, or why so much consumer culture is crap, then this book is for you. Looking to history, literature and philosophy for inspiration, Tom Hodgkinson provides a joyful blueprint for a simpler and freer way of life. Filled with practical tips as well as inspiring reflections, here you can learn how to throw off the shackles of anxiety, bureaucracy, debt, governments, housework, supermarkets, waste and much else besides.'

So spend less therefore you can work less. Every THING that's bought requires maintaining and later replacing. Gadgets don't really save money or time. All a person needs is food, warmth and shelter and mental stimulation. He forgets to mention the bills that arrive whatever, like the Council Tax! I like his idea of lighting the house by candles so that you can't see the dust......I could go along with that idea.

Welcome to some new followers on the Bloglovin' button, they are Suzanne, Gareth and John Gray - thought that Man From Trelawnyd was already on the Google pictures but maybe not. I think someone has gone from Google-I'm sure there were 251 there the other day.

Back Soon
Sue

MOVED

The blog here has now finished please add my new blog to your list instead                               You will find it here at    ...