Sunday, 6 December 2015

Advent 6 Christmas cards and a good book

Picture number 6 on Sue's specially for you Advent calendar, is the most boring of the whole 24!
Envelopes full of cards waiting to be sealed and sent. I left them un-sealed in case I could add our new address. But now I'll get them in the post and sent and drop the ones for relatives in the Ipswich area into one of the Scout Post boxes in town. Several of the Scout groups do this now covering quite a wide area, they charge 25p each, so less than half the Royal Mail.

Because the weather yesterday was so windy I stayed in and got a whole book read. It was this one and probably not a good one to read if you are trying decide where to move to, I felt even more unsettled than I was before!
I didn't know anything about Margaret Forster before reading this as I'd never read any of her other writing, I didn't even know her husband is Hunter Davies although I have read some of his books about walking and countryside. My Life In Houses is about all the homes she has lived in and how they affected her life.The ending is quite poignant as she has a cancer with no cure. A review of this book in The Guardian would have put me off, so it's a good thing I didn't see it before I read the book. They seem to say that as a person wealthy enough to own two houses and spending a year avoiding tax in Portugal she shouldn't have whinged about builders and sitting tenants - which she does, but I enjoyed a peep into a lifestyle so different to our own.

I added the last book I read ( before the one above)- a short Christmas Novella by Anne Perry - to my List of Books Read 2015 and counted up- 98 books read so far this year with 3 weeks left - Blimey! So with this one it's now 99. I'd never before  counted up how many books I read in a year and am astonished, imagine if I had bought everything I read, we'd be bankrupt!

I do feel for the people who have been flooded out of their homes in Cumbria etc. What a shock just 3 weeks before Christmas. The weather here has been windy but otherwise not too bad and my only inconvenience has been having to peg the washing on the line with extra pegs on everything.

Welcome to another new follower - number 329, another Sue. - "Hello - good name!" and thanks for comments yesterday. ( No I hadn't posted about Christmas Tree festival last year and thank you everyone who hopes we can sort the house thing soon, I hope so too)

Back Tomorrow
Sue


26 comments:

  1. I must say I have never been all that keen on her books either Sue.
    Do hope you get the house problem sorted soon. It is such a stressful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess with all the other comments below I ought to try one of her books just to see what I think

      Delete
  2. Sue, Margaret Forster is an excellent novelist, but having read most of her books, I do prefer her earlier ones to her later ones. I particularly liked a romance in the true sense of the word 'romance' (i.e. not a love story which is what people think of today) called The Bride of Lowther Fell, for way back.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looked that one up, but not sure about it, I used to read historical/romance/ family type books many years ago but not recently

      Delete
    2. I MUST find that book again - I think that the first line is "It was a dark and stormy night...." but I might have remembered it wrong. It was a cracking story - I read it 33 years ago, having enforced bedrest during my pregnancy. Now my daughter is 9 weeks away from HER baby!!

      Delete
  3. There was a piece on Woman's Hour one day this last week about leaving/selling the family home, which I found interesting (and you might, Sue) given that husband and I are thinking about our future - we live in an ex-tied/now pay rent cottage, where we've been for 31 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try and remember to look that up on catch up, Although I want to move I will miss the fruit trees,garden etc

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed Margaret Forster's 'Hidden Lives', which is a biography/autobiography about three generations of women in her family. I'm less keen on her novels but this was really fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm now going to pop over to the library site to see if they've got a copy.........yes, have ordered it!

      Delete
  5. I'm envious of your washing on the line. Mine hasn't been out in ages. I hope your house moving plans come together soon. I'm looking forward to hopefully moving towards the end of next year but for now I am just so happy to be in a warm, dry one. I live in one of the worst affected flood areas. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so lucky and avoided all the rain, just seen Carlisle on the news, those poor people the floods are horrendous

      Delete
  6. Sue ... this has nothing to do with today's post but I was wondering if, like me, you suddenly remember a blog but can't remember the name of it? I do have a little notebook in which I jot down blogs I follow (such as your own) but I simply can't remember the name of one I'd like to look at ... perhaps the blogger hasn't posted recently, but it doesn't appear on anyone's favourites, well, the ones that I read.
    The masthead photo showed the couple, her with a pretty hat, he looking directly at the camera, and it was about how they are trying to live frugally as the husband hasn't had good health (from what I can recall of the blog). it was full of frugality tips, such as your own, but I really can't remember what the blog was called! Any ideas?
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that one Margaret. It's 'Our Shoestring Life'. X

      Delete
    2. thank you, Jules!
      Margaret P

      Delete
  7. I've read several of Margaret Forster's books and greatly enjoyed them, so an author to look out for. Though it sounds like she was having a good moan in that houses book! As Emma said, her Hidden Lives is a good read. Gosh, just looked up her Amazon page and she has written scads of books which I have missed!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've enjoyed M Forster's books too. I wonder, Bovey Belle (and Sue) whether you have also read Penelope Lively's novels? Again, I preferred her early ones to her later ones. The Road to Litchfield and Treasures of Time I enjoyed very much, even though a very long time ago!
      Margaret P

      Delete
    2. No not read Penelope Lively either, better look at those too

      Delete
    3. My favourite writer, and I might've mentioned her before, is Katharine McMahon. Do look out for her books in the Library. One of her books was a Richard & Judy choice some years ago (I won't hold that against her, har, har!) I particularly liked Season of Light. And then the four books in the series set in pre-war Berlin by Jane Thynne (starting with Black Roses). So put Katharine and Jane on your list for your next library visit.

      Delete
  8. Great to be able to follow your blog, Sue - a Life often much different and often so much alike. Today is "Nikolaus"Day with Kids putting their boots in front of the entryway receiving sweets, fruit, small gifts.

    We have candles burning in the living room, listening to Christmas music. Good idea to Plan to read more books... ;-) Been wanting to reply to some of the comments but my Internet will not let me...

    Sue, hope you find a good solution concerning a future house and that your husband will get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy St Nicholas day to you and thank you for your kind comments about house hunting and health

      Delete
  9. PS to my endless comments, Sue ...
    We like to see a film occasionally at Dartington's Barn Cinema (yes a cinema in a 14th century barn, as far removed from a multiplex as it gets) but for the two of us it's around £12 for one film (that's tickets, plus the posting of the tickets to us).
    And so I've treated us to five DVDs - they are on their way to us as we speak - so that we can watch them over Christmas when there is, inevitably, rubbish on TV (with the exception of Downton.) Five DVDs, 2nd hand, good condition from Amazon for around £15. A nice little present for the two of us, and then I can either pass them on to our son and partner who enjoy the same kinds of films that we enjoy, and they can then either return them to us or pass them on to a charity shop.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither of us are much interested in films although I could happily watch any Kevin Costner film!! We have very few DVDs, mainly the series of Edwardian,Victorian,green valley and wartime farms from TV and The Good Life. Have on occasion borrowed one from the library.

      Delete
    2. I have a series of DVDs of National Trust properties, Sue, and such serials as Pride & Prejudice, Persuasian, and the films 84 Charing Cross Road (my favourite) and The Enchanted April. I also have the Edwardian Farm series and others which are similar. I don't buy them often but I love it when I do buy one and we can "go to the pictures" in our sitting room. But no, I don'd do popcorn!
      Margaret P

      Delete
  10. The book sounds very interesting. Its been great to get washing out although I've had to add extra pegs as it so windy. I too feel for those people who have been caught up in all the flooding and wind damage. Why does it always seem to happen before Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't written my cards yet, and one will be heading to Ipswich, to a relative!
    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't written any cards yet, I must get started soon. I also feel for those people in Cumbria such a shame just before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete