Wednesday, 16 December 2015

Advent 16 = Small presents already sent and messages to penfriends

Picture 16 of my advent photos for you is a pile of small presents.
 I've written before about my Penny Pincher Penfriends.  We all used to subscribe to The Penny Pincher Paper which was privately published monthly by John and Irma Mustoe in the 1990's. They appeared on TV in a series called Scrimpers presented by the actor Ray Brooks ( Not Superscrimpers which was more recent) which was on TV in the mid 1990s followed this with a Book and the monthly newsletter. I wrote for the paper for a couple of years ( no pay sadly!) and when they retired a few of us who had subscribed or written for it managed to keep in touch. We've been taking it in turns to write a letter for nearly 15 years now and we do little Christmas presents for everyone  They've probably all arrived by now I hope.

I'm feeling guilty because I've failed to send cards to D in Michigan and P in Canada - whoops. If you are reading.... HAPPY CHRISTMAS to you both and to your families! My other penfriend W lives on a windy Scottish Island and a present and long overdue letter was sent that way a few days back, I hope it gets there as their ferry and planes keep being cancelled due to the awful weather. I received a letter and gift from W    (Thank you W, had to smile at L having to eat bought marmalade because you sold all the homemade! )

Honestly, what a hopeless penfriend I am! Using the blog instead of writing. Tut Tut

Thank you once again for the good wishes in comments, very much appreciated.

Back Tomorrow
Sue



13 comments:

  1. I use to have a Pen Friend while I was at school, but it just fizzled out, I think that is something I would enjoy now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd think having a penfriend in this technological age would be easier but our lives get busier. I know I am trying to simplify whatever I can in mine but now their are grandchildren there is always something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have a crafty pen friend and after a couple years I was going to be passing through her area a great chance to meet up, it was arranged I was stopping at her house overnight, what an awful place and awful woman who had a drinking problem and every other word was a swear word, she hit her kids and cats were allowed to toilet anywhere, I made an excuse that I couldnt stay after all as I was expected to be somewhere else, and I could possibly stay on my return journey, promising to keep in touch I left and never put pen to paper again, after a few months the letters stop coming thank goodness, I wonder what became of her :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that book - I saved my pennies until I had enough to buy it - never subscribed to the paper though! I used to tease my kids that if things got Really Bad, we would make all our underwear from the curtain linings as suggested in the book

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that TV prog and the Penny Pinchers Newspaper, which I had for a time. But it was a bit too frugal for my liking - sometimes, for example, one has to draw the line at reusing over and over again a polythene bag which may or may not be passing on bacteria to food stuffs previously stored within (even after rinsing it out.) Now I just try to be reasonably sensible about re-cycling and not purchasing unnecessary items. But one person's 'unnecessary' is another's 'extremely necessary'. For example, I buy books and don't now visit the library even though I'm able quite to and we have a good library in our town (with café, loos, the lot.) But I love books, they are important to me. Also, I cook all meals from scratch, I've not bought a chicken nugget in my life (what are they, anyway?), I don't buy convenience foods, but there again, we have coffee and scones or tea cakes out regularly - perhaps an unnecessary expensve. But then, alcohol is very low on our list of priorities, as is a new car, as are holidays. We all spend on our priorities, even if some of them sound frivolous to others.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an email penfriend from Germany, we have corresponded for over 5 years, plus reading all the blogs I follow, it's great to keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blogging feels a bit like having lots of 21st Century penpals to me. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS I have always had penfriends. Several when I was a child and one person in particular for over 30 years since I started writing to her on a correspondence magazines (they were round robin letters compiled by the magazine's 'editor' and passed from correspondent to correspondent during the month (by post) so there might he as many as 8 or 10 letters to read, and by the time the last person had received the letters, the next 'issue' was starting to go around the group. You replied to the letters and sent your own letter to the Editor. It sounds complicated but works rather well. This was in the days before email, Facebook, blogs, etc. And the day the 'magazines' arrived was quite an event - I would cease all housework or whatever, sit with coffee and read all the letters.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  9. That seems like a very kind and thoughtful thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't had a pen friend in years, but it sounds like a nice thing to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's nice to keep in touch with people from 'our past lives' isn't it, although to often in this hustle. bustle of a world it's very hard to do so.

    I've done the 'sell all the homemade jams and marmalades' thing myself in the past. Gritting your teeth to buy some in for emergency use is the only way forward :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keeping in touch is such a lovely way to remember past times isn't it Sue?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with Jan, blogging is such a great way of keeping touch with friends all over the world! Nice to get stuff in the post though (rather than brown envelopes and bills!)
    :o) x

    ReplyDelete