Monday, 21 December 2015

Advent 21 -Greenery and candles

Today is St Thomas' Day and as the rhyme says
" St Thomas Grey, St Thomas Grey, longest night and shortest day"
so the winter solstice is here and this is my day to  bring in  some bits of green stuff from the garden and to start lighting a few candles each day. We have rosemary, bay and the relation of holly that doesn't have prickles, we have a variegated holly too but what few berries it had have long gone. Then there are some light green conifer bits for contrast. My flower arranging is the shove it in a jug method but it does cheer the house up a little.


 I forgot to mention the Strictly Come Dancing final. I was, as they say, " gobsmacked" when they announced the winner as I thought Kevin and Kellie were sure to win after their 2 perfect scores. I've been voting for Jay -so cute!-  all along ( it's free on line - I'm not daft enough to use my mobile!) so I was pleased that he had won. How will we survive without Strictly 'til next September ( joking folks) and we will have to go back to watching Look East at 6.30 as well.
We didn't bother with Sports Personality Of The Year. but wasn't surprised to hear that Andy Murray won it - such a shame that he talks all in one boring sounding tone when being interviewed, I bet he's not like that when talking to friends.

This morning I've been bread making as we were getting a bit low and also pulled the insides out of 2 pheasants that we were given yesterday. We'll have Mrs for dinner tonight and Mr who was a bit bigger will go in the freezer. Our local cock pheasant has so far avoided all 3 shoots they have had in the nearest woods, which is handy as he clears up all the seed that the great-tits chuck out of the seed feeder. I moaned at him this morning as he was outside shouting just as it got light.
It was a nice bright morning but the wind is getting up as I write and there is rain on the way, luckily  my washing went out at 8 and was dry by noon. Once again we have missed out on all the heavy rain in Wales and Cumbria and although it is a bit colder today still no where near the norm for December.

Col went for Drinks and Nibbles at the second home that had the HUGE food delivery, but he said there wasn't much sign of tons of food. All the people from all the second homes and big landowners from all around were there but as he got  a lift  with our elderly friend who had to get back to his wife, he had an excuse not to stay long. (She's the lady who was in Norwich hospital for months and Col drove our friend there a few times. She is home now but not really very well, they are managing without help despite him being over 80 and having to get her up ready to go to dialysis at 7am, 3 times a week).

Thanks for all the comments yesterday -  So it wasn't just my blog where the followers vanished - Phew. But having gone down there is a new follower so hello to Lin and welcome back to Deb- who also lost followers at the weekend.

Back Tomorrow
Sue


21 comments:

  1. Pleased to report you are back in my feed!
    I did not know it is St Thomas' Day today. It isn't raining here for a few hours and the sun is out so I might just go snag myself some holly from the neighbour's tree that overhangs my rockery! No berries, though, so painted ivy it must be again this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and you are back on my followers pictures. Welcome

      Delete
  2. Pretty cards and lovely greenery - greenery is really the best kind of decoration. I went in search of white cyclemen today but arrived too late at the garden centre, should've bought them when I was last there! So bought pastel pink instead, they will look fine, but not as nice as pure white ones at Christmas. Have white roses for the table, which I will put with greenery. Bought the turkey today, too, and the Christmas food. More than I wanted to spend, but had my list and stuck to it. And it didn't come to that horrendous amount of that daft couple on the telly recently who spend - or so we were told - £1400 for the Christmas food and drink.
    How come you didn't go to drinks and nibbles at the place which will now be known as The House With The Big Food Delivery (a shame that that won't fit on a sign for the gate post!)
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was invited but there are some things I won't do.....even for free food!

      Delete
  3. May he long continue to avoid the guns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as he stays on our land he'll be OK

      Delete
  4. Love your greenery, I have to fetch some in yet I will pinch your idea of adding some rosemary to it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very cross with myself for not taking any rosemary cuttings to make young plants when we knew we were moving, I might try in the spring. Love the smell of it.

      Delete
  5. Most of my hedges have been trimmed for winter so not much spare greenery around. I shall have to forage further afield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I shall be doing next year I guess.

      Delete
  6. I lost followers too ......very strange . Love the natural greenery at Christmas. I was bemused by Strictly not having watched a whole episode as yet. But I did see Kelley and Kevin get perfect scores and Jay get a dressing down for a less than perfect chorographed dance. Merry Christmas Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to join this particular fray re Strictly. Jay is a sublime dancer and had been undermarked to stop him running away with the competition. Fair enough, but Len's nasty comment after Jay's showdance- beautifully danced without a mistake and promotion of Kellie and his (I hear) godson Kevin was wrong. The competition is not just about the final but the whole 12 weeks worth of dances. Three excellent finalists but Len's favouritism was nasty to watch and probably back fired.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought Jay deserved to win as he was constantly being complimented on his absolutely perfect time-keeping and his does dance so well anyway.
    Interesting what you say Sue about all the berries disappearing on your holly - most of ours are still in place. The farmer puts this down to the fact that all the fieldfares have gone back down south in the warm weather and also blackbirds, the most prolific eaters of berries, are still eating grubs in the hedgebacks because the ground is still warm. In one stretch of hedgerow this morning the farmer counted twenty blackbirds and yet we have none at the birdtable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard that saying before so thank you for that. I love ye olde worldwide history :-) it's chucked it down up here all day, but I'm not fussed because I've finally got all my decorations up

    ReplyDelete
  10. Went out to cut some greenery today for the house and the red holly has lost all its berries in the last week! Guess it must be the blackbirds. I should have bought some in last week. On the other hand the yellow berried holly has lost none, so I have cut some of that too with some variegated berry-less holly.
    Ive lost some followers too.
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  11. love your flower arranging technique.
    Rained quite a bit this afternoon though, and the wind got up. Did you get it too? x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too adopt your flower arranging technique, I find it gives a more organic feel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too love your Christmas greens. Lovely post today.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Christmas greenery
    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have totally forgotten that it was the longest night yesterday and the shortest day. Now I know why I had no time to do all my stuff yesterday. Very short day as for me)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have loads of holly berries left on our bush. The wood pigeon was very acrobatic in his efforts to eat them! I haven't cut any for the house as the bush is right outside the patio doors so visible from any seat in the living room. Nigel cut a few branches to make the wreath for the front door tho. Didn't know it was St Thomas' day yesterday, our Thomas is too excited today to be a saint!

    ReplyDelete