Saturday, 5 December 2015

Advent 5 and A Day Out.........

..........House Hunting.

 As you know, we are selling the smallholding and campsite because of Col's health problems, we've been here 23 years, we want less responsibility and a chance to visit some places in the UK we've not been to before........... and we had a plan............
 Plan A was to buy something cheap in our old home town of Stowmarket in Mid Suffolk, prepare it for renting out while living in it and having a year doing some travelling with the caravan and then decide where to live after that.
Plan B - after Cols newest health problems and the horrible journey into Ipswich was to buy something closer to Ipswich hospital even though it would cost a bit more more. The problem with this plan is the only thing available at the moment at the right price was a small semi-detached bungalow needing a lot of work and would Col be fit enough to do it?
Plan C was to go and have a look at a couple of places In Stowmarket - in other words going back to plan A! The problem with plan C/A is that there isn't much for sale in Stowmarket either. We looked at a two bedroom detached bungalow in a quiet area, but with no garden, that needs some work and a semi-detached 3 bed house on a newer estate that was actually smaller than the 2 bed bungalow.
Plan D - heavens knows!

Anyway while we were in Stowmarket  I wanted to go and look at the Christmas tree festival in the church.
There were over a hundred trees all decorated in different ways by groups,organisations and individuals and it was brilliant. I hadn't got my big camera with me so just a couple of photos that aren't very good, but you can get a glimpse of what we saw


On the end of each pew was a Christmas tree decoration and the church were selling kits to make these but they were £10 each. So when I came home I googled"Christmas Tree decoration from milk bottle top"s and found with THIS 
plus loads of photos like this one below, they looked very good on the church pews

MilkTopTree2.jpg
The strangest thing about being back in Stow - 44 years after I was at school there - was that we were shown round one of the houses by a man who turned out to be the nephew of someone who was in the same class as me all through Grammar school.
Apart from making me feel incredibly ancient it was a very odd coincidence.

It seems we are in for a stormy weekend, the sky here this morning was pink/red so shepherds take warning! and it's already very windy. I thought about biking to Leiston for a Christmas fair but don't fancy the up-hill head wind journey home again.

Thanks for comments yesterday, I hope if you try the veg pie you think it's OK.

Back Tomorrow
Sue

24 comments:

  1. Do you know what.......My dad is Ipswich born and bred and have been tracing mine and husband's family trees, and we both have Stowmarket mentioned in both trees, more on my side.
    Julie xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Oh - tell me more. I was born in Stow, Mum lived there and grandparents. then I lived in Haughley -3 miles from Stow. Went to Grammar school there1966-1971. Lived and worked in stow 1975 -1980 and for 6 months in 1991.

      Delete
  2. There is a church near us which holds a tree festival but they do theirs every 2 years. The first time I went my son was small and my son was with me. My dad died in 2008 and whenever I go now it's always bittersweet.
    I can see you'll be busy with milk bottle tops in the future!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to remember this craft for next Christmas

      Delete
  3. I'm sure the perfect solution will show itself soon. :o)
    the sky this morning was rather amazing wasn't it? I grabbed the camera and took a pic, it was more orange and pink than red here. Just beautiful.

    Have a lovely weekend :O) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very weird colour all round this morning - just grey now

      Delete
  4. Decisions, decisions! I'm sure the right house will come along soon. I wondered what a tree festival was as one of our local churches is having one today. It looks beautiful so I might just pop along and see for myself. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the tree thing in Stowmarket has been going for about 4 years and has grown each year, it was really lovely and must be wonderful in the dark

      Delete
  5. Good luck with the house hunting, maybe rent in the short term so that you are not under pressure. The tree festival looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes plan D could well be renting, although there is a shortage of rental properties in both areas too and quite expensive

      Delete
  6. Decisions, Decisions, I am sure you will find the answer soon xx

    Lovely pictures in the church.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your perfect place is out there, we at one point were feeling the same when looking for this house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What hard decisions you are having to make, and none of the plans seem ideal. But surely, travelling with your caravan wouldn't be ideal if Col has health problems? So that Plan could be axed right away. Have you thought of moving right away, or are properties in other counties even more expensive than in your area? But I'm sure that there will be something out there for you. I'd not advise renting as it can run away with money. Buying even for the short term, until you find your ideal property, must be the better option.
    Love those Christmas trees!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you blog about the Christmas Tree fair last year? Someone did and I remember being equally bowled over. What a fabulous thing to do!
    I am hoping your answer just arrives in your lap magically!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Playing catch up today. Your Festival of Trees is super. I brought this concept to my village oh! so many years ago after having co~organised several abroad. It is now in its umpteenth year in the village. Love the bottle top tree!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea for a decoration.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. The trees are beautiful aren't they! I hope that you can figure things out with the house, perhaps in January more things will come on the market, I imagine that December isn't the most favourite time of year to start to sell your house. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the Christmas tree display and the milk bottle top decoration. I must have a go at doing that next year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The trees in the church are beautiful Sue. And as far as meeting the man goes, life is full of coincidences, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi. Your Tree Exhibition looks a bit like ours, boards put across the ends of the pews and walk down the aisles to see them all. You have about 20 more than us, but your town is bigger I think.

    If you choice of house/bungalow is limited, do you have to stay in your area, maybe you could consider further afield. Or do you have family to consider?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these tree exhibitions in churches, hoping to see one again myself this year. Hope the house hunting turns something up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful trees in the church, I love to see this at Christmas time. I hope you will find another house soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This time year of year is not the best time for buying, hopefully some new properties will appear on the market soon. We have a Christmas tree exhibition here too, hopefully we will have a chance to visit it at the weekend. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete