Tuesday, 8 December 2015

Advent 8

 We don't bother with many Christmas decorations anymore, mainly because when the house was extended and altered, quite a lot was re-plastered and I didn't want drawing pins stuck in everywhere, also a lot of our decorations were 30 years old, extremely tatty and only suitable for the dustbin.
We still have a tree, it used to be  a real one until all the ones we had got eaten by deer or grew too big, now a cheap thing from B&Q. Normally this goes up on the weekend before Christmas and comes down well  before Jan1st.(Bah Humbug!).
  This year our family are here mid month so we've put the tree up already.I've gone silver and red for 2015 because I felt sorry for the silver bits that hadn't been out of the box for years!


And - gasps in astonishment - I bought a new star for the top for £1.50! (The old one was a willow thing free from a Christmas magazine about 15 years ago and bits had snapped and unraveled). Everything else on the tree is several years old and quite a few secondhand - I've not contributed much to the Chinese economy this year!

Son and future daughter in law are really into Christmas decorations so will think this is a really poor show!

Here's another link back to an old post written in January when I made a list of things to remember for this years festivities. I said I would be looking for another dessert recipe - something that could be made and frozen well in advance - well, that never happened so today I'll be making the Chocolate Meringue Gateau again. As it's deliciously wicked I don't think it matters.

Thanks for comments yesterday and also welcome to Barbara, a new follower from Dorset I think.

Back Tomorrow
Sue

Joining in with Julie's Scrapbook where you can see other advent photos



13 comments:

  1. It looks lovely.

    We usually have a tiny tree that comes into the house each year, but this year we planted it into the ground rather than leaving it in it's pot and it's all lop-sided and weird shaped now. So I think I'll leave it where it is and buy another small one in a pot and try and keep it the right shape for the next few years.

    I think I'll also leave it completely undecorated for a while as I love the simplicity of a plain green tree, your's looks good decorated the way you have done it.

    We used to have lots of those bead garlands, until Archie the cat spent a year chewing them apart :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tree looks fine, nice and simple x

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a real tree, too, always have had. Each year, for the past several years, it has come courtesy of the local Christmas Tree Farm (we like to support local industry!) and right now it's in the garage in a bucket of water having a good long drink before the poor thing comes into a centrally-heated house. I have one decoration that was on our first tree when we married in 1964 (yes, 51 years ago) and it's still lovely - a bauble covered in gold sequins. And it hasn't even tarnished. It was 5/- (five shillings) in the old money. That's 25p today, but it represented a huge part of my salary in those days. But it has lasted, has it not?
    Love your red and silver scheme - very pretty indeed.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now did you remember all the other things on your list. I tend to make a list then lose it!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love having fresh greenery in the house. Most of our decorations are Victorian/Edwardian apart from the star, made by youngest daughter 39 years ago. Have no colour themes, just brighten the house for the darkest time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've put our tree up today too. Gone for similar colour scheme. I has certainly helped to brighten up the day as it has been grim and rainy. I prefer the simple rather than over over blown look - your tree looks perfect to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. '.... I felt sorry for the silver bits that hadn't been out of the box for years!...'
    this part made me laugh. I was putting our tree up today, and I was riddled with guilt because I lefts decorations in the box and didn't put them up!

    Your tree looks lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you Sue, I no longer put up a huge number of decorations. I never put them up until Christmas Eve amd I try to keep them up until New Year's Day as I always have a houseful on New Year's Eve. Your tree looks very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Silver and red sounds perfect to me. Ours is very much a child affair and is a mish mash of anything and everything they can find in the box. I've bought house decorations this year but it must be 10 years since I bought anything for the tree, apart from the ornament I buy Amy and Thomas every year. Your comment about your lack of contribution to the Chinese economy made me giggle. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for visiting my blog :)
    X x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Decorating your tree in your way is what is important! Enjoy it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our tree goes up next weekend, and always comes down on 1st January to start the new year afresh
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I let the kids decorate our tree (small real one from the local nursery, chosen because it was the same height as middle child). Less is not more! Plain white shadeless lights and tinsel was banned, but other than that it's all their work. We have a bit of a bird theme, owls, robins, bluetits, chaffinches...It's topped by a paper angel, made at nursery school with glittery hand print wings. I love it!

    ReplyDelete