Thursday, 24 December 2015

Advent 24 - All doors open

Christmas Eve and door 24 on the National Trust advent calendar has been opened.On the back it explains where each photo is taken. It's been a good calendar, nice and Christmassy.

Door 24 is willow reindeer outside the NT property of Wallington in Northumberland.

As I didn't want to have to venture to the shops today I went to Tesco early yesterday morning, left home at 8.45, not much traffic on the road then going down the hill into Saxmundham there were cars queueing to get into Waitrose carpark. I turned into Tesco carpark and it was also almost jam-packed - everyone had decided to dash out early. Inside was heaving with people loading trollies as if the world was ending. I didn't need much and they had loads of staff working - all tills open - and I was in and out in half an hour so home by just after 9.30. Col was surprised to see me so soon, I was just glad to be home out of the mayhem.

Apart from the books photographed for yesterdays post, there are also some children's Christmas books packed away waiting the move, one that I hope we still have is the book of the poem which of course had to be read on Christmas eve. Just in case it's been a while since you read it - here it is

Add caption

I'm now off to cook a ham, make a vegetarian quiche, a biscuit base for a desert and wrap some bacon around the chipolatas.
I  hope Santa fills your stocking with lovely things
Back Tomorrow, briefly
Sue

19 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas - thank you for joining in
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been fun finding something to photograph every day

      Delete
  2. I threw our advent calendar in the bin after I opened a door and there was a pineapple behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that poem and I shall be reading it to Ruby tonight before she goes home to await her visit from Santa.
    Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas-x-

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same calendar from the NT which is three years old but the images behind the door are quite different! I wrote about it, day by day, on The Adventures of Treasure Bear {one of my sister blogs} Interesting how they changed it.

    I had my Tesco delivery yesterday and all was well except they thought paper plates was a good substitute for cocktail sticks??? My local deli delivered yesterday too which makes life much easier for me as a full time carer.

    I'm off to make a start on the last minute bake ahead things too! I have so many ideas now for the vegetarian centrepiece I have no idea which to use! All I can say is it will have red onions, mushrooms, cashews, chestnuts and fresh cranberries. That's a start. Then it will be the trifle.

    Have a wonderful Christmas with your family, Sue.
    Deb xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paper plates instead of cocktail sticks doesn't quite work does it?
      Have a good 25th

      Delete
  5. I've just got back from Tesco, I thought I was mad going today, Christmas Eve, for the bread, milk and some veg, but I got my timings JUST right. There were lots of spaces in the car park, people merrily browsing the shelves and no sense of panic .... THEN as I left with my purchases the masses were arriving and the car park was full .... PHEW!!

    I love your Advent calendar, and will look forward to seeing it again next year.

    Wishing you, Col and all the family, all the very best for a Merry Christmas, and a peaceful and Happy New Year. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- hope you and A have a good one too

      Delete
  6. Thankyou for putting up the advent pics. I have enjoyed every day. I did the hell that is Tesco yesterday, early, and it was mayhem but I only wanted 2 items so in and out quick. Hope your day goes well and wish you both well for 2016 and your new adventure.Sarah. Dorset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, wonder what tesco was like today, glad I didn't have to find out

      Delete
  7. Wish you both a Merry Christmas and hope all goes well for you in 2016 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas and Good Health and Happiness for you both in 2016. Jennie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The health thing may be a problem.......
      Hope you have a good Christmas and find a buyer soon

      Delete
  9. I love your calendar.

    We went into town this afternoon. Not as busy as I expected, though I did see an unexpected punch up which was a bit of a downer. It was around 2.15, lots of little kids around, and 4 or 5 twits decide it's the right time & place to pick a fight. Seriously. What is wrong with people? Thankfully by the time I came back that way all was quiet again.

    Happy Food Prepping. I've done nothing, but am plotting on quaffing champs and trying to do it all in the a.m. It's only us, so it appears on the table when it appears! No rush!

    Merry, Merry Christmas to you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Christmas to you and yours and here's to a healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete