Tuesday, 6 December 2016

Winter - an Anthology and a then a book journey



This is an interesting little book made up of wintery words in prose and poetry from many different writers, from the 16th century up to 2016. Most of the more recent authors have a connection to their local Wildlife Trust and the books are raising money for those trusts. At the end of the book is a paragraph about each author.

My favourite pieces were by the more well known country writers, some live or lived in Norfolk or Suffolk. Roger Deakin, Adrian Bell and of course Ronald Blythe. Another name I recognised was Clare Leighton who was an author and illustrator using wood engravings. I know we had her book Four Hedges back when we sold country books at shows. The piece by her in this book is from The Farmers Year: A Calendar of English Husbandry. That sounds good I thought so looked it up on Amazon..........£40 and upwards .........maybe not then! 


 Spring,Summer and Autumn editions of  anthologies also edited  by Melissa Harrison  exist although the library doesn't have them in stock - oddly. I shall be suggesting  them soon


Looking up "Winter" on Amazon lead me to find this
a debut novel about Father and Son farmers in Suffolk haunted by something that happened in the past. I've ordered it from the library although there are several people waiting.
Then I was reading Random Jottings post HERE and looked to see if the library had the book she mentioned ......Jeanette Winterson - Christmas Days. I found they didn't have it in stock so hopped back to Amazon to find when it was published and spotted this...

book cover of 

Tidings 

which is described as a "Full length narrative Christmas Poem, which takes us round the world at Christmas".
If ever covers sell books I bet these two would.
Sadly the Library hasn't got this either, I'm not sure I can suggest too many - might bankrupt them!


 Welcome to new follower Lorraine and thank you for Christmas card comments yesterday.
And I have to just say how sad to see Sue at Our New Life in the Country has finished blogging after so many years. Reading her blog kept me in touch with smallholding. Will I be able to keep going for as many years as Sue did. I'm at 3½, Sue did 8 - pretty good going.Wonder who's been going longest of all the blogs I read?

Back tomorrow
Sue

26 comments:

  1. Have you read Red Sky At Night? It's a book of countryside lore. Interesting facts in there.
    Yes, I shall miss Sue. I've followed her more or less from the beginning. I shall miss her hints and tips on food and freezing. I would like to say that I follow quie a number of blogs and leave comments here and there, but the main blogs I follow are (apart from Sue's) yours, Ilona's, Pam's, Johnnyjumpsup, John Grays and Mum's. Now that Sue has retired I'm hoping that none of you decide to do the same as I'd feel I'd lost some friends. That sounds sad, doesn't it?

    Joan (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a few books about country lore etc, not that one. I'm hoping to feature more of that type of thing when we move to the end of the country lane (hint- that could be a good blog title!) :-)

      Delete
    2. I shall look forward to that.

      Joan (Wales)

      Delete
  2. I'll still be around to annoy you with my comments though .... don't worry ;-)

    Those book covers look amazing, I wouldn't be able to have them on my shelves stood with spines out, I would have to have them in pride of place at the front of the bookshelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will so miss your blog.
      The library have a lovely shelf thingy which has covers showing called "Quick Reads" presumably so people can find a book that looks interesting by its cover. I think they are almost like Christmas cards too.

      Delete
    2. I will miss your blog, too, Sue.
      Margaret P

      Delete
  3. Off and on I've been blogging since 2009, so nearly eight years now. Where did the time go? I've been intermittent at times, tried my hand at Wordpress blogging, but come home to roost at Bloggle as I fondly call this virtual space.
    At the moment, it's putting a lot of pressure on me as I'm writing a daily Advent post. Why did I commit to it? sighs lol. I now have a backlog of regular posts that I'm working on too and so it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the book covers and the romantic idea of winter but hate it in reality! Fingers crossed for your move and Col.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those books sound wonderful. I agree that Winter, in theory, is beautiful. I love looking out and seeing everything covered in white. It looks so fresh and new. Then I have to go out in it! Or after the snows everything is so dull and bare. Shudder. I am going to try and get out and take some winter photographs this year to remind me that it's not all bad.

    Snow just seems to happen when I least want it to. I have a dentist appointment on Thursday and what is it going to do? Snow. The only day this weekend it is going to snow. Grrrrr... I don't like the dentist anyway and now I have to drive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, it won't be me for longest Sue - I think I have been going about five or six years. What about Going Gently?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is very sad that is not going to be blogging any longer. I'll definitely miss her.
    Those book covers are so pretty-x-

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think my blog is about 5 years old, although first couple only local folk read it! Can't wait till I get my new Amazon tablet, e-books ahoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the welcome. I've followed your blog for a long while. ...thought it was about time I pressed the follow button !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I've added your new blog to my list to read

      Delete
  10. So many books, so little time. You would think I would have time to read now I'm retired but it sadly doesn't seem to be the case. I'm always interested in the ones you recommend, I wouldn't hear about them if it wasn't for you.
    Planning to drop off mince pies for our fabulous librarians later-they do so much with so little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love picking up book ideas from other blogs

      Delete
  11. I love the covers on those books, I hope you manage to get them, I did see that Sue had finished her blog, I think I started mine 2008, but didnt really get into it until a few years ago when we were ready to make a lifestyle change, I had considered stopping but will continue as we are now really getting into our new life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been blogging for around 13 years now. On and off, changing blogs along the way. I started up a wedding blog sharing all the plans etc we'd made, and while that is long gone on the internet, I printed it out and still have a copy. I'm SO glad I thought to do that. I have such a good and detailed record in amongst my stash of memorabilia.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of a Brand New Look when we move, but then again I might not.....what fun!

      Delete
  13. Lovely books, Sue. And I look forward to your Brand New Look when you move!
    Margaret P
    www.margaretpowling.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. Addicted to books - a lost cause, and I read quickly too. Learned speed reading at college!

      Delete
  15. What lovely books ! The covers would make me pick them up.I just started to read both of Soe's blogs, I will miss them.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  16. You might be qualified to get a $1,000 Amazon Gift Card.

    ReplyDelete