Friday, 23 December 2016

Thursday and Friday

On Thursday we delivered one hamper of goodies to my sister. I said they needed to keep it somewhere cool but as their boiler had just gone wrong this may well be anywhere in the house! Hope they get it fixed soon but they've got in a stock of coal for the fire just in case.
We called in at the Gift Shop on the way home, so many pretty things - I managed to avoid buying anything except a photo frame for the picture of a one-day-old Florence that our youngest gave us when we were there on Monday.
Then a tour of the charity shops in Stowmarket but I didn't see anything I wanted or needed so we had lunch out - a rare treat - instead.
This morning the cheese straws have been made. They always look awful but taste good. I do wish I could roll out to an even thickness and cut to an even length, but It's never going to happen.

 


 I'll add the recipe to separate recipe page.
Sausage rolls will be made tomorrow.
I'd better go and get some cream as a traditional trifle has been requested - with multi-coloured sugar strand sprinkles of course.

Back Soon
Sue




29 comments:

  1. Those cheese straws look very tasty.
    Wishing you and Col a Merry Christmas.
    Marlene x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah sugar sprinkles. I have forgotten them so shall grate some chocolate instead. Have a good Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used up all my chocolate strands on the rum truffles!

      Delete
  3. Ham is simmering in Coca cola, trifle with "party" is underway(sugar strands), parsnip soup in freezer, smoked salmon and blinis in fridge. All the favourite thins for husband and daughter and SIL. Me-I'll ping a veggie treat and watch them all enjoy what I've made. Happy Christmas to you and Col and all your lovely family. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing nicer than rustic looking homemade cheese straws - adds to their charm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Them cheese straws look pretty gorgeous to me Sue-x-

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was my Grandmother's Cheese Straws that were singled out for particular praise from the Duke of Edinburgh during a visit to the Deanery {where she was housekeeper} many decades ago!
    Nadolig Llawen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow praise indeed!
      And a English happy Christmas to you too!

      Delete
  7. I just might have to try making some cheese straws they look delicious.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember making cheese straws in home economics :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those cheese straws look fine to me , Ohh , Trifle you have just reminded me xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look so yummy. I love cheese straws. I am not going to look at the recipe until after Christmas! Already got too much to make.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trifle - yum! My favourite trifle has a little lemon curd wiped over the sponge cake pieces too. It just contrasts nicely with the sweetness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds different. I used raspberries from the freezer for fruityness

      Delete
  12. The straws do look very appealing.
    Sounds like a good journey out!
    Still remembering to pray for Col, and you!
    Merry Christmas, bless you both!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rolling perfectly even pastry/dough requires pottery clay rolling techniques - take two strips of wood (clean & smooth) of even thickness & roll out the dough with them on either side. When the rolling pin finally rests on the wood strips on either side, the job is done !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You could give your cheese straws a twist or two before baking. That was a task I enjoyed when making them with my mother. The twist disguises the uneven-ness, and the length doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pastry in this recipe is so short that I reckon they would fall to pieces if I tried that

      Delete
  15. Hi Sue, Really enjoy your blog thankyou, would you be so kind as to let me know what has happened to Sadies A Life in the English Rain Blog ??? best Wishes Lin

    ReplyDelete