Saturday, 10 December 2016

The Christmas Basket

Yesterday we were at the wedding of our son and new daughter-in-law. Pictures will follow ASAP.

With a wedding in December and a couple who love Christmas  (their first dance was to "All I want for Christmas is you!) there were lots of festive themes going on and this is my lovely gift from the newly weds.
So pretty.................just hope I can keep it alive a bit longer than other poinsettias I've had!

Back soon, with Happy Photos
Sue

PS Co-incidentally, just after writing this, I came across the following on this months Home Farmer email
Care of Poinsettias
These are tropical plants so don’t leave them in a cold car when you’ve bought it whilst you do other shopping. Get it home immediately.
Place in a well-lit area near a window. It needs bright, indirect light for at least 6 hours a day.
Bright direct sun will fade the red leaves.
Avoid drafts and try to keep a regular temperature of 65-70⁰
The most common cause of fatality is over watering. Only water when dry and do not let them sit in water as this encourages mold and moss.
You do not need to feed your plant when in bloom. Once it’s finished blooming water sparingly and feed once a month

22 comments:

  1. Congratulations to the newlyweds!
    Yes, Poinsettias can be a bit of a beggar to keep but I knew someone who kept hers for years and years and it got to be very tall and full, a real talking point in her conservatory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, looking forward to seeing the happy photos. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A December wedding, how lovely. I hope you and Col had a smashing time.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to them both. Lovely basket.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huge congratulations to the lovely couple. That's a gorgeous Christmas basket. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to them! Hope you had a wonderful time. Lovely flowers - I'd have trouble keeping them alive too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations. I have been looking at Poinsettias in the shops lately. Thanks for posting the care directions, I may just have to purchase one for the holiday. Sort of my little gift to myself this year.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to your son and his bride. Looking forward to the photos and full details. If I remember it was in the lovely church not far from where you used to live.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm looking forward to seeing your photos of the wedding.

    Yesterday was my parents wedding anniversary. Dad is now gone, but they would have been married 66 years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely to have a December wedding. Beautiful gift basket.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cant wait to see the Pics, a December wedding sounds fabulous. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations to your son and daughter in law. Looking forward to seeing some photos. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to son and daughter in law. Agree absolutely about treatment of poinsettias. I have one every year and usually throw it out around June when I am sick and tired of it. I can't stress enough - don't water it until it begins to droop and tells you it wants and drink - then stand it in some water - don't water from the top.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blessings on the happy couple- may they enjoy many years of love life and laughter together. On a more prosaic note, thanks for the poinsettia advice!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations to the newlyweds. December is a wonderful month to get married in :-)

    I'm never lucky with poinsettias either. One look at me and they jettison all their leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  16. congratulations to your son and his new wife! A great date to be married, Bill and I celebrated our 12th anniversary yesterday!

    I don't bother with poinsettias any more, unless I can find white ones. They never last long, and I blame shops a lot of the time. They do love to place them right at the entrance, which is helping to kill them off from the start!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful present and a great day shared by the family. Congratulations to them both.

    ReplyDelete
  18. lovely pics. thanks for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos of a lovely day.
    Happy it was warm and not 10 feet of snow.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my, I didn't realise they were so hard to look after. I've just acquired one! Thanks for sharing,.

    ReplyDelete