Sunday, 18 December 2016

A few mince pies and a lot of library books

I wasn't going to make enough mince pies to feed an army, but look what happened. This is 1lb flour and the recipe for sweet shortcrust is on my separate recipe page about half way down. They are all in the freezer to be shared around various family over different festive days.

A large heap of library books  were collected on Friday, lots that had been ordered have turned up all at once, goodness knows when I'll have time to read all these. The trouble is I'm now following lots of bookish blogs, I spot a book that looks interesting, hop over to the library site to see if they have it then instead of making a note somewhere for the future I press the Reservation button and end up with a lot to read.
'Lake Wobegon Day's is one that was mentioned somewhere, no idea what it is. Angela Thirkell - 'The Headmistress' is another Vintage Modern Classic reprinted in November. 'Christmas Around the Village Green' by Dot May Dunn is a memoir. 'A poem for every night of the Year' is a children's poetry book I wanted to look through. 'Island on the Edge' by Anne Cholawo - about life on Soay. 'High Mortality of Doves' is a new crime novel by Kate Ellis.  'The English Year' another book just to look through and the small book in the middle is an old Local Interest book titled '........and over here' memories about the USAF airmen when they were here in 1944.
And Whoop! Whoop! On Friday I  found another Persephone for £1.50 in the Samaritans charity shop in town. 
 Persephone 50 - Hilda Bernstein - The World that was Ours. Not a nice grey one, but one of their cheaper Classics but as my mum used to say "beggars can't be choosers". At the same time I also picked up this little gem for 50p.
It was published in 1949 and has several black and white photo plates. What I like are lots of quotes from writings of each period. This may well have been a school reference book as Batsford did lots in this style right through to the 1970s.


Back Soon
Sue

28 comments:

  1. I have just eaten one of your virtual mince pies Sue - and made a wish - for Col's complete and utter recovery in early 2017. Happy Christmas to you both and love from us both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pat, we are wishing the same.
      Hope your Christmas is wonderful

      Delete
  2. I gave up reserving when our library decided to charge £1 per book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been afraid of that happening here, hence our huge stock of our own books(that's my excuse!)

      Delete
  3. They look very tasty, Sue. My boys don't like too much pastry on the top of my pies so that is why the 13 dozen, yes 13, I have made so far have a star or a holly leaf on the top. Number 14 later today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 14 DOZEN!!! My 2 and a half dozen pale into insignificance!

      Delete
  4. I love your choice of books, ordering on the Dorset system seems very complicated now, some you pay for, some you don't. We have just lost all ore mobile libraries in the County, I hope you hang on to yours. The mince pies look good, as a total non-cook I am in awe of anyone who can produce such food. Hope you have a peaceful and Christmas, sending light and blessings to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hope they don't cut mobile libraries in Suffolk now we are moving back to the country.

      Delete
    2. I can't work out the Dorset library online catalogue these days either...

      Delete
  5. like the sound of living on the edge, have added that to my ever increasing ' to read' list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another one I read about somewhere and thought it sounded good

      Delete
  6. I have a list of books going as well. It has just been too cold to head to the library here. Perhaps this week as it will be warming up to -4 C on some days. But then we are likely to get lots and lots of snow...

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love being able to reserve books and thank goodness there is no charge. But it is annoying that you have to make sure you read it within an alloted time. Which when you have them turn up out of the blue is difficult. I could eat one of those mince pies right now with my coffee. Yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can renew online up to 6 times so 18 weeks, haven't paid any fines yet - thank goodness

      Delete
  8. I love the Lake wobegon stuff, but it seems to be like Marmite, many don't like them at all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. have no idea about it at all so it will be a good or bad surprise!

      Delete
    2. Garrison is from our north mid-west and something of a folk tale teller. May be an acquired taste, but keep on reading. Dry humor and a tall tale. Hope you enjoy.

      Delete
  9. Ooh mince pies and books .... a perfect Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mince pies look delicious! Please send some my way lol. A pile of books, nothing better especially with the way the weather is right now. There's nothing more comforting and warming than a good book, a cup of something hot and a nice blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lucky to find a Persephone book in the charity shops! I've found two in about 4 years; one I already had and 1 I didn't. I love them and am building up a collection slowly; I ask for them as Christmas presents and birthday presents but I occasionally treat myself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can't beat a homemade mince pie although I confess I've cheated this year and bought some. Would you believe I've not had one yet, everybody else seems to be eating them for fun. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. A few mince pies? Few million more like. All of which I'd be happy to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on the Persephone find. It's a terrific book, too, hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 Persephones in one year.........perhaps the only benefit of living in town!

      Delete
  15. I did a review of the audio book of Lake Wobegon recently, so perhaps you saw it there. If the book is as good as the tape I think you will like it - I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Christmas greetings! Congratulations on finding the Persephone book at a bargain price. I live in the states and I'm always on the hunt for used copies of their books...the best! Enjoy your reading.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you enjoy Garrison Keillor. I have a CD called Tales from Lake Wobegon. It might be worth listening to one or two clips on You Tube before you read. His delivery is so dry, once you've heard him talking, you'll get a whole new perspective on the written word.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm going to track you down and demand a mince pie. I'll know how to find you, just sniff the air like a Bisto kid and follow the mince pie fragrance! x

    ReplyDelete