Wednesday, 24 August 2016

What's Happening at Number 9

I loved watching the Olympics on TV this year. Despite our TV, with it's built in Freeview, being too old to get Red Button and my lap top connection too slow to watch on-line, I still managed to watch a little of most sports and more of others. It's puzzling that we don't play handball in this country, it looks a pretty simple sort of game, not a lot of equipment needed. Or maybe it is played here - who knows.

Now it's back to normal viewing for a couple of weeks before we get another dose of sports with the Paralympics, after that there is Strictly to look forward to. I do hope Col is home before the Paralympics start, things were looking hopeful but another blip with the line (inserted in a vein in the chest for the stem cell transplant) makes me wonder if he'll be stuck there for weeks more. They decided that the line had been in too long and he had to go down to surgery to have it removed, under local unaesthetic. All the time he has been having high temperatures, that come and go randomly and they can't find the reason so it was probably the line. It was January when we first knew what was wrong and here we are nearly at the end of August and this time he's been in hospital for 3 weeks already. Some days I wonder if we will ever get back to normal then I have to give myself a kicking!

 After sorting out all my craft papers, odd bits of fabric, spare curtains and pictures over the weekend, I found enough to fill 4 bags and took them round to the charity shops yesterday morning. Then, because her OH couldn't get away from work early, I picked up our youngest and brought her back to Ipswich for another ultra-sound on dot-the-bump. However the small unborn was laying in such way that she is still not 100% sure that Dot is definitely female so we still might be in for a surprise in 8 weeks time, and the sonographer said she couldn't get a good photo either. We then went up to Col's ward to visit him before I took her home through awful traffic.There seem to be roadworks everywhere round Ipswich and East Suffolk at the moment.

 Today, according to the local weather bloke on TV, was the hottest day of the summer so far. Luckily I was down at the beach hut having a swim to keep cool. The worst thing was getting in the car at the hospital after visiting Col on my way home........Phew

 Has anyone else been watching "Britain's hardest workers", it's all about low paid jobs, an eye opener. I wouldn't want to work for Approved Foods for a start, or on any of the other companies featured. (Just editing in to say that its on all week I think so look for Mondays programme first)

That's what's been happening here at number 9. Not a lot really.

Thanks for comments

Back soon I guess

Sue

14 comments:

  1. Hya Sue, Colin is really going through the mill isn't he. Just Gotta keep on keeping on I guess. You sound like you've been very productive - unlike me - full on lazy mode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I really hope Col is home with you very soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have caught that programme, modern day slavery really. Hope Col feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He'll be good as new in a few weeks. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must watch it thanks for the tip. I hope Col continues to get well zany you can start the next chapter of your life together. Tx

    ReplyDelete
  6. love to Colin. I hadn't watched that programme - off to the iplayer...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Busy day but lovely to have a swim. Hope Col will improve if the line was causing the infection. How lovely to go to the scan with your daughter too. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that Col is home with you soon. I read his Facebook page every day. I'm in America and I've followed Col's treatment since the beginning and I'm very impressed with your NHS.

    Very exciting that you'll have a new grandchild in only eight weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone here has a love/frustration relationship with the NHS but mostly love and no-one wants to pay more National Insurance or taxes which is how the NHS is funded so it struggles on

      Delete
  9. Yes, as Barbara M says, I hope that your husband is home soon, after such long and strenuous treatments.
    I watched the first of the Britain's Hardest Workers prog and meant to watch the other two but they are on early evening and I just forgot them ... was probably clearing up after supper. But I will watch them ... I found the first one both fascinating and disturbing at the same time, that so many people have to work so hard for so little return. It's Dickensian but it's not the 19th century, its the 21st century.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  10. As usual Sue I am full of admiration for the way you soldier on - I am sure looking forward to dot the bump helps too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've also been following Col's journey on FB and am glad he's feeling a little bit better. Fingers crossed it's all easier from here!
    We had a show in the U.S. called "Dirty Jobs" that my husband and sons loved to watch. It seemed to me those folks didn't get paid nearly enough for what they do. Made me glad to know someone was doing them, but more grateful it wasn't me. For your American readers, can I ask... what is "Strictly"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strictly Come Dancing or (Dancing with the stars in other places). A favourite here for Autumn and early winter viewing.

      Delete