Saturday, 20 August 2016

Getting Better + Library Book Photo and Book warning!

What a difference a day makes :-)
All your positive vibes, kind wishes and prayers have worked and our little fella was able to go home, he is now feeding well and not being sick. Col is still feeling exhausted but is drinking more and eating again so that's the first step on the road to recovery.

 My Penny Pincher pen-friend S said she really misses the library book photos, when I would bike home from the library van once a month with a lovely bag of books I'd ordered and take a photo for the blog.
So specially for S I waited a few days before going to the library so I could pick up several of my requested books rather than just one or two at a time.
Here they are
From the top down - Mrs Miniver to re-read after reading the other Jan Struther last week.
The Lanimer Bride by Pat McIntosh, the 11th in the crime series set in 15th Century Glasgow.
Ruth Goodman - she of odd clothes on TV! - How to be a Tudor - A Day to Dusk guide to everyday life in Tudor Britain. I Think I borrowed How to be a Victorian, also written by Ruth a couple of years ago but can't remember reading it so maybe I didn't.
Josh Spero - Second hand stories. Not sure how I heard about this, it's about a man who tracks down previous owners of his second-hand books.
Signal For Vengeance by Edward Marston, the umpteenth book in his railway detective series. They are becoming  a bit same-y so I might read it or not.
Sandlands by Rosy Thornton. These are short stories inspired by the "sandlings" - Suffolk's coast and heaths Area of Outstanding Natural beauty, which we lived on the edge of for 23 years.
The New Homesteader by Bella and Nick Ivins...............see below.............


I soon looked through this book and here is the Book Warning! -
Only read this if you are a wishing for a smallholding/ homestead and have pots of money!
Cover Lovely new book, Gorgeous pictures, but Oh My Goodness, this Self Sufficient family are not short of a penny or two.

Here's the description from the library website -

Ten years ago, Bella and Nick Ivins left the city behind and relocated to Walnuts Farm, high on the Sussex Weald. Inspired by the Modern Homesteading movement, they decided to embrace self-sufficient way of life. 'The New Homesteader' tells the story of their family life on their home farm and provides all the knowledge necessary for anyone thinking of embracing self-sustaining lifestyle and starting their own homestead or urban farm - or even just tending their own little plot to provide a supply of fresh ingredients throughout the year.

Reading this could leave you green with envy.
We had the smallholding but never had the spare cash, now we have the spare cash and no energy for a smallholding!

Such is life :-)

You need a £20 note to buy  this book but if you are hard up borrow it from the library and spend your £20 on something edible, like an apple tree for instance, for the smallholding or garden!

Back Soon
Sue
PS welcome to 2 new followers - Elizabeth and Kitkat
Extra PS Our youngest has started a blog HERE, Wonder if she'll have time once Dot-the-bump arrives! :-)

 

40 comments:

  1. So glad to hear the good news on the little fella and that he is back home. Also glad to hear Col is picking up a little - onwards and upwards as they say!

    Some interesting books there. Will be interested to see what you think of them once read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I remember to do book reviews!

      Delete
  2. I agree - it is so frustrating when these self-sufficient types are already self-sufficient in terms of their large bank accounts! Also agreeing with you re Edward Marston - he seems to have got very same-y with later books. Must check out the Ruth G. books - we are loving the current Steam Train series. I dont know Pat McIntosh - another author for my list...thanks again for great book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pat McIntosh books are very Scottish, I tend to jump over the unpronounceable words!

      Delete
  3. Great news regarding grandson and Col, I'll take your advice and order the book from the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely book, but expensive I thought

      Delete
  4. Good news fingers crossed good news continues for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully both will carry on getting better now

      Delete
  5. Sounds as if corners are being turned at last ~ into the home stretch towards better times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, don't want too many weeks like last week

      Delete
  6. Very happy to hear the good news on the sweet little one and of course Col also.

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy the books and enjoy the better health. Hot weather coming, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes the forecast is for more beach hut weather this week

      Delete
  8. So glad to hear your good news, onwards and upwards for you all

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great news Sue on both Col and Jacob.
    I keep picking the wrong books at the moment so I think I might go back to something I have read before-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find something good to read soon

      Delete
  10. Thankful to hear that Col and Jacob are better! Thank you Lord! which makes you feel better as well! I like your stack of books. Interested in reading How to Live Like a Tudor. Maybe in our library or not since is British? Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you are able to get the book

      Delete
  11. Glad to hear the little fellow and big fellow are both doing better. :-) Also nice to see your daughter's blog. And it looks like you have enough books to keep you busy for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad everything is going well on the health front for all uour family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear that both of your most loved ones are at last beginning to pick uup. Also I do admire the way you kept going through thick and thin - I am sure those books have helped a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad your families health is improving all round xx I love Ruth Goodman and the other two blokes she use to appear with. I loves their programmes. They pop up on old "Time Teams" sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad your families health is improving all round xx I love Ruth Goodman and the other two blokes she use to appear with. I loves their programmes. They pop up on old "Time Teams" sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's worn some very odd clothes in the latest Steam Tran series - pink overalls!

      Delete
  16. Great news all round Sue.
    Once Col recovers his appetite there'll be no holding him back!
    So pleased about Jacob's op being successful, it's awful for such a little person to be poorly.
    Our new grandson arrived on Friday evening, his mum had been in labour for 52 hours, with no joy, and he eventually was an emergency C-section. Hardly surprising really as his mum's only 5ft 3ins and he was born weighing 9lbs 13 ozs and is 25 ins long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your new grandson and what a worry waiting.
      He is certainly a good weight ! Hope all is well with the new family now

      Delete
    2. They're all doing fine now thanks Sue, Emma was really shaken for a couple of days, but is recovering really quickly now. Baby Lincoln is utterly gorgeous, looks very like his dad (our DS) and is ridiculously strong, he's only 4 days old today, but this morning while lying on his back he put his feet flat on the floor and lifted his hips up, and he's been holding his head up since the morning after he was born! Our DS did the same things though, so he's just following in his father's footsteps!

      Delete
  17. Good news on the health front. The Walnuts farm was featured in Country Living magazine as part of a guide to smallholding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like a perfect smallholding ....that only money can buy!!

      Delete
  18. Lovely news about grandad and grandson. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so glad to hear good news on the menfolk in your life!
    I must admit, I am truly jealous of your book stack. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have spent a lot of time lately sitting thinking (hospital visits) and often think of you and Col and how brilliantly you are coping with things. I am delighted all is going well for you. Jane.xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. glad there has been some good news and improvements. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bella and Nick from Walnuts Farm were the family that had a three page spread every month all last year in Country Living magazine, I thought at the time that they looked very well off compared to some smallholders that you usually see.

    I guess me and Lovely Hubby could be just like them .... when we win the lottery ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so pleased to hear about your grandson's recovery, and about Col, too. As a fellow Suffolk-dweller, I have been reading your blog on and off for a long while, but have never commented. I am absolutely delighted, though, to see my little Suffolk story collection amongst your library haul! I'd actually love to send you a signed copy, as a thank you for the pleasure your blog gives me. If you send me a message at my website (rosythornton.com) with your address, I'll send you the book!

    ReplyDelete