Friday, 30 September 2016

Active Lives?

What a frustrating time to get a survey thing through the post about how active we are. Had it have come a year or more ago I could have included shifting bales and cutting big areas of grass paths, cleaning campsite loos or walking round the field 3 times a day to see to the chickens. Now it's just 10 minute bike rides or walks to the shop. And as for Colin......his exercise at the moment is walking to the loo!
I really planned more walking once we got in town and started back in March with circular walks around the neighbouring streets early mornings but after a couple of weeks I got fed up passing the same houses and town started feeling claustrophobic. Then once I was driving to hospital everyday it was easier to fit in errands on the way. Oh dear I'm so unfit now.
 It was an Ipsos Mori/Sport England/Arts Council/ Public Health England funded survey and came with 2 codes for 2 people to do the survey on line.  It only took a few minutes but we have been rewarded with a £5 Amazon voucher each ...............When/if it arrives in our inbox. Now what to spend £10 on at Amazon? Silly Question :-)

The huge paper haul has been sorted. Labels on some packs saying £17! There was a lot of duplicate stuff I won't use so  that got  bundled up for the charity shop.  Quite a lot of the paper was scrap-booking pages. I've not done any scrapbooks since about age 13 and collected all the cuttings from the newspaper about Ipswich Town FC for a whole season. Maybe I should find out more about the modern way of scrap book making - I know it's big in the States. There's also some gorgeous patterned card stock which I shall look forward to using.

After the 4 hours in the Maternity wing with our youngest on Wednesday I had  another trip to hospital on Thursday, this time with Colin for what will be regular blood tests and review. The  problem is still the platelet part of the blood which is falling rather than building. He must be careful not to cut himself or blow his nose too hard as this could start a bleed that won't stop. At the moment they are not planning any intervention. There are  several reasons for platelets not improving and they are all quite worrying. I don't know how much more worrying I can manage this year!

Looking forward to Strictly Come Dancing on Saturday, it takes me a week or two to get into it and work out who to enjoy watching and who to cringe at. It's also good to have "Takes  Two" back with Zoe Ball on weekdays, means we don't bother to watch any evening news for the next 3 months.
Last weeks Aldi flowers were Alstromeria. Back to Gladioli this week

Back Soon
Sue

12 comments:

  1. Hope Col's blood improves!

    I'm sure you know but there are some great parks in Ipswich that have lots of space to walk and wonderful things to see. I always love walking Christchurch Park though I think my Mum was a little put off when we saw a rat by the lake! She did enjoy the walk around Holywell's Park which is close to where she grew up. They are both really beautiful places!

    I know what you mean about walking round the same old places. I have the same problem here - only little public transport and I won't have a car until Spring to drive somewhere nice to walk.

    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you can keep Col's spirits up and that he soon improves.

    Feel the same about Strictly - decided not to watch it this time, but shall give it a try again his week as I did enjoy it last week after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand town walking not being very interesting but perhaps you can explore the parks that Sharon mentioned. I have just got a Fitbit and it is letting me know how many steps/how far I've walked each day. 10,000 steps is the target and I seem to manage that fairly easily on a busy day. I am fortunate to have lovely Welsh countryside on my doorstep so walking is never a chore. I am sure that just around the house and garden you clock up a few steps and it's not as though you are just sitting all day long.

    I am sorry Col's platelets aren't responding as they should yet, but I hope that this state of affairs will soon change.

    We watch Strictly too, and I think my husband enjoys it (though he wouldn't like to admit it!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're both in our thoughts and prayers. Is Col working with a nutritionist through the hospital? There are foods, herbs and supplements (vitamin K, folic acid, B 12 and wheat grass) that are good for building platelets, but I'm not sure if they'd be okay with whatever medicines he's taking.

    My husband walks nearly every work day on his lunch hour, and I know I really need to start. I need the help of a cane if I'm going to do any serious walking. Bad ankle and heel spurs. But I thought of learning yoga or something just to move more in general.

    Hope your weekend is sunny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do hope Col keeps well and infection free.
    As for Strictly and Takes Two ... these progs are OK and I know a lot of people really enjoy them but the noise of them really irritates me, all the screaming and clapping and some pop star half way through whom I've never heard of and some pro dancers wafting around in front of the guest 'act' ... yes, I know ... I can turn down the volume, but then I can't tell what they say (not that they come out with anything worth hearing, of course). The most irritating thing, too, is the way, each and every year, Anton is lumbered ... someone really has marked his card, poor chap! What has he done to deserve it? Lesley J might be a nice woman and she might even prove to be a half-decent dancer, but I have to say that seems a little far-fetched.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anton has to be with the oldest dancer as he is 52 so couldn't cope with a young energetic thing!

      Delete
    2. I'd not considered that, but surely they could find someone who is also about 52 - oh dear, wasn't he with Carol-bring-your-brolly-Kirkwood? Still, he did get to number three with Katie-fixed-grin-Derham.
      Margaret P

      Delete
  6. Husband has moved compost heap instead of 50 yards from house to 500 yards - going to keep fit going all the way down the field every day! I love towns when it is interesting architecture with lots of historic detail - but if after 1960 its usually awful and boring!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the concept of walking - but not as it applies to me. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh gracious sorry about Col and his platelets. Thinking of you all.
    The patterned card sounds fabulous, and I hope you get to have fun with the Amazon voucher!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gracious sorry about Col and his platelets. Thinking of you all.
    The patterned card sounds fabulous, and I hope you get to have fun with the Amazon voucher!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keeping fingers crossed for your and Colins health!!

    ReplyDelete