Saturday, 3 September 2016

A bit of a do

Just back from my cousin's 60th birthday tea party held in a very smart hotel near Colchester in Essex (I put on my brave knickers and drove there all by myself - go me!!)

Look at those scones and  macaroons, and little jars with lemon posset,and some strange things made with choux pastry, which no-one could quite decide what the filling was.

So nice to see my 2 cousins A and S and their families. Both cousins may be heading back to live in Suffolk sometime in the near future, they lived in Stowmarket when we were all small before my uncle's job took them to Dovercourt and then my cousin's husband's job took A even further afield. We had 4 cousins on my mums side of the family but we didn't see as  much of them as we did these two cousins on Dad's side, who are close in age to me and my sister. As we all get older it seems only funerals bring families together so it's nice to meet up on a happy occasion.

Colin was sad to miss it but I brought home a scone and a  mini jar of Tiptree strawberry jam for him.
Speaking of home, he Might and I stress Might be home one day in the week ahead, although nothing is ever 100% certain. It will be nice not to navigate 9 roundabouts and 8 sets of traffic lights there and back every day twixt here and hospital........

Thank you for all the towel comments, who  knew scratchy towels could be so interesting!

Back in a flash
Sue





15 comments:

  1. THose cakes and scones are very much for the win! Given me a craving for jam scones now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the second afternoon tea post I've read tonight and I'm craving tea and cake at 9pm. I've everything crossed for you n Col xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh delish tea and scones for birthday party! So glad you could go and enjoy your cousins. I just finished a big cup of tea I had with my sandwich for late Sat. lunch. Did a bit of tidying up whilst drinking. Praying Colin can be home for a day and more to come soon!! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tea looks lovely, it's a nice way to have a family party, and as you say it's always nice to get together for something other than a funeral. It happens far too often in our family ☹

    Exciting news that Col might be allowed home, I bet he is really missing being there with you.

    Well done on the driving ... you've gone a long way this year ... literally 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely. There I something very special about afternoon tea. Hope Col enjoyed his scone and jam. A huge pat on the back to you for driving to new places. Its a tea confidence booster.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only just saw your last post on towels , I thought it was just me , I prefer scratchy my husband prefers soft lol , Anyway good news about col possibly coming home , Fingers crossed xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. same as Rachel, this is the second afternoon tea post I've seen today and now I am craving it. Plotting it for next weekend.
    Oh how I hope that the 'Might' will become 'Can'. I hope so much Col can have a day at home, it'll do both of you so much good.
    Fingers crossed. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That"s meant to say "look" not loom!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cakes loom lush x Fingers crossed and positive vibes for Colins return home x

    ReplyDelete
  12. The afternoon tea looks lush! It's certainly become very popular again and it allows all ages in a family to come together. Really good news about Col- fingers crossed for you both. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keeping everything crossed for Col's return home.
    The afternoon tea looks lovely-x-

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am keeping my fingers crossed for Col.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The treats look delicious! And good for you driving to the tea! Hope Col is back at home very soon.

    ReplyDelete