Monday, 26 September 2016

Heading towards the end of September

We had some lovely weather last week and Colin  was able to sit outside for half an hour each day and soak up some vitamin D which he must surely be short of after 7 weeks in a hospital bed. He's got his appetite back and is feeling OK except for having no energy or stamina. Hopefully it's just a case of time.
Today is much more Autumnal and the forecast for the rest of the week is unsettled so he might not be able to sit out any more.


For book lovers around the world here is my latest library book photo
 Lots of crime fiction again plus Trio - no idea what this is or who mentioned it;  A Woman's place which is a look at women's fiction in the first half of the 20th century and the Barbara Pym which according to my book-of-books I have read already, but can't remember so am reading it again after enjoying Glass of Blessings earlier in the month. I STILL haven't finished How To be a Tudor, got halfway through and then got sidetracked by crime fiction and I'm debating if I should finish The Past is Myself by Christabel Bielenberg - (and English woman's life in Berlin under the Nazis ) it's quite detailed reading. Sort of interesting in a hard work kind of way.

Still on the book theme, on Saturday morning I took myself down to Felixstowe library where, according to the newspaper they were having a "Mountain of Books Sale". Sadly their idea of a mountain of books wasn't mine and in reality there were just a few tables of donated books which they were selling for charity. I picked up another wartime Land-army biography and an Amish romance (why?).

As the sale only took 5 minutes to look at I went round the town and found a dress for son's wedding in December - phew (it's been worrying me for weeks that I'd not got anything), had to buy new but not for £150 which is the sort of price I kept seeing on line!( and deciding that was really silly). Then I found a hat in a charity shop for £5 which just needs a navy ribbon affixed over the cream ribbon. Now I need a long length glam cream cardi/jacket of some sort and cream clutch bag. Can I get away with the black shoes I wore for Daughter's wedding last year or will I have to find navy or cream, but cream shoes would soon be muddy in December? Could I clean black shoes with navy polish and see if they look more blue than black?
............. This is why I spend most of my time avoiding events that require dressing up..... but I suppose son's wedding can't really be missed.

Many thanks for  all the Jacob comments, he is a mostly happy baby and easily changed from tears to smiles. H with Jacob and D.I.L-to-be went to Leiston for youngest's baby-shower party yesterday and now it's only 3 and a bit weeks until another grandchild is due to arrive.....goodness me, that 9 months has flown. The nice thing is that we will be able to see this newborn straightaway as she(or possibly he) will be arriving at Ipswich hospital. H and Jacob are off back to Surrey soon and we won't see him again until son's wedding, he'll be 6½ months old then.

Welcome to new followers Theresa and Lesley.......... I think
Back in a trice
Sue


17 comments:

  1. I'm glad the weather was good enough that Col could sit out for a while. The energy and stamina takes a while to get back. I know that after my Mum's treatment she felt 'off' for a long time. The kind of treatment cancer patients go through is so hard on a body. I think Mum expected just to bounce back but it took a while for her body to get back to 'normal'. I'm happy to say, although she tires a little more easily now, she is back to her normal self!

    Sad about the book sale. One good thing I LOVE about the library here in Kalamazoo is that there is a bookshop on the lower floor with lots of books, including newer titles, that are no more than a dollar or two. Sigh. I spend too much time in there! BUT the good news is that the money raised goes towards library events including for teens that really helped middle son when he was a teen.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate dressing up and got into a terrible tizz over my son's wedding. I regret letting that sort of useless worry get in the way of enjoying his wedding to the full, so go have fun and forget about matching shoes or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to hear that Colin is eating well and I do hope you get a few more days with sunshine where perhaps he can sit in a sheltered spot well wrapped up and get some much needed sunshine. I think this also helps with building up your immune system.

    You did rather well in Felixstowe and must be a huge relief to have a dress sorted for son's wedding. The other bits should sort quite easily.

    2016 has really been a year of happenings for you hasn't it? One you won't quickly forget. How lovely to think that very soon there will be another little baby in your life.

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue, sorry late again (we sneaked off to France for a week after finishing our summer contract) but were back for nephew's wedding on Saturday. I too hate shopping for posh frocks, but after long search early this season I managed to find a perfect (new) dress and jacket set for £35 in the charity shop. Just accessorised with black as I already had those, so would suggest that you wear shoes you already have and are comfortable. Loving the photos of Jacob; we have had happy birth of my best friend's granddaughter and my niece in Australia and now too are waiting for the last baby of the year in approximately two weeks time. Very exciting times! Best wishes to Col for his continued recovery. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear about Col. Grandchildren. I have 5 and another due February. They all live a long way away. Skype is wonderful.....!

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad you had a lovely weekend. Jacob is adorable. Must have done Col the world of good to see him x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep telling yourself Sue that nobody will notice that your shoes are black rather than navy - they will be too busy looking at the bride.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wear the black shoes. Nobody is looking at your feet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear that Col is able to get out in the garden, that has to cheer the soul and warm the heart. I don't suppose that anyone will even give your shoes a thought, let alone wear them. For a wedding you need comfort above anything for all the standing around! I am pretty sure that I ended up barefoot at our wedding! You will look fabulous I am sure and everyone will be so happy about the wedding and seeing Col they will not care what shoes you have on anyway! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd need some sun after some all that time in a sterile hospital artifical environment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pleased to hear your husband is regaining some health. Navy shoes, sorry, I think it would look shabby if the grooms mother didn't have matching shoes. I hope you find a bargain. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know that you can paint/dye shoes. There is paint made for leather that you can get in a a craft store (I am in USA)in a small container that would be cheap compared to another pair of shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck on you quest to find the right shoes! Shopping for specifics is always harder than if you have nothing in particular in mind. I see in your pile of books that you have a Louise Penny. Still Life is the first in a series. I love her work! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done on the books and also on the things for your son's wedding. It was our son and his fiancée's wedding last Saturday and it was a super day all round. In the end I bought three dresses and only the 3rd one was what really looked the best, I might even do a blog post on this in due course! Getting shoes right is so difficult though, isn't it? I managed to find a style in Hotter shoes - the have four colours, navy, pale grey and red suede and black leather. I don't like the black leather at all, very clumpy, but the navy and grey are lovely, and while the red is currently out of stock, I've ordered a pair which will be in stock in December, so I've been told. It you look at the Hotter shoes website, they're called Charmaine. These might be suitable for you? Just a thought!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  15. PS Re colours, I'd not wear black with cream, not unless there is black in the outfit as well. Last summer I found that cream goes well with silver grey, believe it or not. I once wore a cream top and silver grey linen trousers and I found the combination quite pleasing. Even the pale grey suede shoes I wore on Saturday might be just the thing to go with cream ... again, just a thought!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to hear that Col is up to sitting out and is eating again. It will be lovely for you both to be able to see your next grandchild straight away. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice to hear Col is feeling a bit better.

    I am on a crime fiction kick right now as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete