Friday, 16 September 2016

Not Preparing For Winter and Other News

Several years ago when we lived on the smallholding and I wrote for the Suffolk Smallholders Newsletter, I did a couple of pieces about preparing for winter, mainly written for people new to the countryside. There was a check list to prepare................
 Animal feed, lag outside taps, wood for woodburners, cylinder gas for cooker, coal for the Rayburn, examine welly boots for cracks or holes, warm weather and wet weather gear for outdoor work, emergency stuff in case of power cuts, spare diesel for the car and tractor etc etc.

Oh how much simpler life is in town .............not that I really want a simple town life but Hey Ho! All we have to do is to get the gas central heating boiler checked. That's now been done and Thank Heavens all was well despite the boiler being quite old (but apparently a very reliable make) so bill paid - sorted.  I was a bit concerned that the man would slap a red Do Not Use label on it which is what happened many years ago when we got someone out to repair the grill on a Calor (cylinder gas) cooker. He said the whole cooker was too old, didn't comply to regulations and stuck the label across the door. I'm afraid I just carried on using the hob and oven for several more months until we could afford a new cooker.

Cover
Very much enjoyed the above book which I finished while at the beach hut on Tuesday. Certainly doesn't glamourise what Londoners went through during the Blitz or soldiers caught on Malta during the siege. Here's the details from the library website..........
"When war is declared, Mary North leaves finishing school unfinished, goes straight to the War Office, and signs up. Tom Shaw decides to give it a miss - until his flatmate Alistair unexpectedly enlists, and the conflict can no longer be avoided. Young, bright and brave, Mary is certain she'd be a marvelous spy. When she is - bewilderingly - made a teacher, she instead finds herself defying prejudice to protect the children her country would rather forget. Tom, meanwhile, finds that he will do anything for Mary. And when Mary and Alistair meet, it is love, as well as war, that will test them in ways they could not have imagined, entangling three lives in violence and passion, friendship and deception, and inexorably shaping their hopes and dreams."

The book finishes with a few pages about the authors grandparents who formed the basis of this fictional story. There is a mention in one newspaper review that he is working on a sequel set in the first years of peace. 


 Then I went to the beach hut again on Wednesday and read some of this

book cover of 

The Late Scholar 

 
The fourth book written by Jill Paton Walsh using the characters created by Dorothy L Sayers. Another well written story. When I worked in libraries all those years ago Jill Paton Walsh was a children's author so I've enjoyed discovering these books for adults and she also wrote four other crime novels set in Cambridge. I've now requested the first of these from the library.

I know parts of the country haven't been enjoying the mini heatwave that we in the east have had this last week. By golly it's been HOT. The grass in the back garden is brown apart from one small bit that's always in shade. Windows have been wide open and blinds closed, in hospital where they don't have windows that open wide, Col has had 2 fans running to keep cool. He does seem to be feeling better again although last time I said that he plunged down and had more problems so I won't say anymore.

Only a couple more days of Paralympics, it has been SO good and I shall be disappointed to go  back to regular TV. I think only in this country would we have a programme like The Last Leg!  BTW am I the only person who isn't getting agitated by Great British Bake Off moving to Channel 4? I've never seen a single episode, although if it was Strictly Come Dancing or Wimbledon tennis disappearing from terrestrial TV to Sky then I would be out there shouting!

Thank you for comments on the last post

Back in a jiffy
Sue

20 comments:

  1. Hi Sue. We are starting to think about Winter. Very exciting. I am VERY miffed about TGGBO moving and that we have already lost Mel and Sue. I have watched every series and really enjoy it, It won't be the same. However, more importantly, I too am loving the paralympics and LOVE LOVE LOVE The Last Leg, wonderfully ireverent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's our first winter in a town since 1991 - I hope we can keep warm without our woodburner, I shall miss it

      Delete
  2. That would be a brilliant name for a blog ... My Simple Town Life'. 😊

    Glad to hear Col is a bit better ... he's worrying us all with all these ups and downs. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I hardly dare answer the phone when he rings each morning in case he's had a relapse overnight!

      Delete
  3. I, like you Sue, don't give a fig if the Bake Off prog goes to Channel 4. It really annoys me that the beeb were prepared to pay £15 million (licence payers money) for it four times the previous amount. Of course an advertising channel could out bid them as they will be able to sell all that lucrative advertising space to baking related companies, I am surprised it hasn't been done sooner. I am going to try a few of your reading recommendations, they look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ads during the Paralympics haven't been too bad - not too intrusive - thankfully.
      I hope you enjoy the books I've written about

      Delete
  4. I am afraid we are ardent Bake Off fans Sue, but we shall not watch it if it moves to Channel 4 - can't be bothered. Same goes for Strictly - we really enjoy it - we rarely go out on Saturday nights, especially in the Winter, so it helps the evening pass very nicely.
    Glad to head of Col's improvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hardly dare mention when he is feeling better just in case I jinx the recovery.

      Delete
  5. I dont mind what channel it is on i will still watch it, I was miffed with the BBC during the Olympics they took on 6 extra channels on top the 4 they have to televise the olympics, I am not a fan but I do enjoy the paralymics, but the BBC were not showing it it was on CH4, I think the BBC needs to sort itself out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose the licence fee hasn't gone up much for several years.

      Delete
  6. Doing a catch-up, so, a few brief things to say:

    1. Hope Col is feeling a bit better.
    2. No, you are not a grumpy old woman!
    3. Spending money on books is never an extravagance. Even if they cost more than 1p plus postage. Divide the price by the number of hours of entertainment, education, and all the other things we get from a book, and it turns out that they are a real bargain!
    4. Re The Last Leg. Only watched it once, about three months ago, when granddaughter rang to say her dad was going to be on it. Didn't think much if it myself. And my son-in-law said it was badly organised. He had no briefing about what they expected him to do or say, and he was sent on to the set to find he was on with Boris Johnson's father. SIL did manage to get in a few witty comments, but, knowing him, I could see he wasn't comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!
      We don't watch The last leg other than 4 years ago and this paralympics so I don't know what its like the rest of the time. I AM a grumpy old woman - honestly you should here me sometimes!
      Fingers crossed Colin is now really on the recovery road

      Delete
  7. One day its hot, then its foggy and then its wet! British weather at its best! Loved, loved, loved the original Peter Wimsey so will look for those by Jill P. She was a favourite author of my kids years ago. I am upset by GBBO too. I hate adverts and this was my one hour of total concentrated enjoyment. I just hope GB Sew Bee does not follow as it is by same production company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had our fair share of rain today and 10 degrees cooler too.

      Delete
  8. Yes life is far simpler in town, I had forgotten what is was like living out in the country and it isn't even winter yet. I don't watch the GBBO as I have never been one to bake much and now I can't eat any of it anyway so I'm not bothered which channel it's on. We missed the heat wave, had torrential rain and storms instead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bet the wild weather today made you think about winter more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've not seen any of the paralymics, as i didn't know they were on. Am slowly getting through a book I started a few months ago. Never enough time to get all read and what needs done becuz of work and sometimes I just am lazy but need to get better at it than being on my computer/phone/tablet. Real life is here! Sigh! I catch up on my days off work and sometimes it's overwhelming! My tomatoes didn't do as well as I'd hoped even though the summer was good and they are in the sun. I did give it a go and maybe it will be better next year! We've had warm weather lately but the weekend is cooling down and maybe rain! Happy days and better news on Col next time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh! Can technicians even do that to appliances? Rude much. Over here in Australia there is a small but growing trend of folk getting there very old appliances restored and putting them into daily use. That technician sounds like he might have been getting royalties from the local appliance store(!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was just in case we had a problem with it later and then he could say we were told not to use it!

      Delete
  12. I am really trying to get ready for our long cold winter here on the prairies of Canada, but our new furnace can not be installed for a month and a half. Could be cold by then!!!

    A friend of mine had a sticker like that put on her furnace last year and was told that they would notify the gas company who would shut off the gas in 90 days if the furnace was not replaced. They made it just under the wire.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete