Monday, 12 September 2016

Hobbies

Second puzzle of the summer finished and no bits missing - phew, the only problem with charity shop jigsaws is you can never be absolutely certain it's all there until the end.
So I've mended the box, stuck on a label saying 'Complete'  and it's off to the charity shop.

I'm not starting a new puzzle straight away as I want to use the table for a bit of papercraft card making, speaking of which.........look what I found at yesterday's boot sale............a carrier bag full of crafting bits and bobs for £3. I had no idea what was in it for sure until I got home and unpacked although I'd spotted two books and a Framecraft Mirror  to put cross stitch in. There are always some on eBay selling for £8 each but luckily I've found several for much less over the years. I stitched 2 for Sister and Sister in Law last Christmas..... or was it the Christmas before?
When I sorted everything out I found quite a lot of useful stuff including 3 gluesticks, craft papers, a big bundle of silver tissue paper, some silk ribbon, foam glue dots, all sorts of bits that were free on the front of a cardmaking magazine and the mag was there too with ideas for using them. A good £3 worth that's for sure. One of the books and the cup-cake boxes will go to the charity shop. Perhaps someone running a Macmillan Coffee Morning later in the month will find them.
The only other thing I got  yesterday was a new pack of 16 fat wax crayons for small children for just 20p.

 The other day Sue in Wales asked if I had unpacked all our books .......I wish........... but this bungalow is Small and I mean SMALL. We only bought  the bungalow because it was detached, in a quiet part of Ipswich, with room for the caravan and didn't need anything doing to it. Space for over 1,000 books wasn't a priority. Back in January and February 2015 I took photos of all the bookshelves we had at Fareacre, they are HERE  if you want to see them..........13 separate posts!  We had room for all the books on shelves in the hall and under the stairs. I got rid of several books before we moved but there are 22 boxes still packed away. Here there is just room for one bookcase with 5 shelves and a lot of the books on the shelves are Col's that he thought he might want to re-read while he's recovering during the winter.
  The only books of mine that I've already read  are just a few that I couldn't bear to be without. (Hovel in the Hills for instance) Most of those piled up at the front have been acquired by me since we arrived here......whoops!  Annieb asked if we were going to move to somewhere bigger just for the books - yes as using a kindle instead would be far too simple!.............and we need room for the grandchildren! :-)
Now here's a funny thing ........... the other day I said I was reading my first ever Barbara Pym - A Glass of Blessings" so I go to write it down in my book-of-books and lo and behold I've already read "An Excellent Woman". When? Where? I don't remember it at all. Shall have to borrow it and re-read. I do sometimes worry that I read so fast that I don't remember a thing about what I've read. Should I  read everything twice? Although as I don't have to answer exam questions on content perhaps it doesn't matter.

Not a good weekend for the poorly man, a nose bleed lasting 16 hours because his platelets are so low meant a night without sleep. More test results due today perhaps the doctors will find out why various blood counts are not recovering as quickly as they ought to be. Because of rain, being worried enough to visit him 3 times on Saturday and being tired Sunday I didn't get to any of the Heritage Open events that I'd planned on seeing. I wanted to visit Ipswich cemetery and the old Broomhill swimming pool...............next year perhaps.

The weather forecast for here for the next few days is HOT, much  hotter than it should be for mid September. I'm looking forward to going to the beach hut at least one day .......haven't been for a couple of weeks and with children all back at school it will be nice and quiet again...........makes me sound like a grumpy old woman.......Oh yes...........I am!

Back ASAP
Sue

17 comments:

  1. Hi Sue I hope Col is a little better than he has been its not a very nice condition - my father had it amongst other things. I have the same trouble with books. I have loads packed away and I still keep obtaining more a lot are in storage and then every so often I refresh them. however I do use my books a lot a kindle does not quite cut the mustard for me at the moment - not tactile enough. I suppose one day it will come in very useful or its successor if my eyesight is not as it should be. you found quite a nice little hoard there at the car boot. I like the Framecraft finishing pieces and have collected several over the years from car boots etc. I am desperate to do some needlework at the moment but for one reason or another do not seem to be able to settle heyho no doubt at some point that will happen have too many ufos to get started on again and some new unfinished new to me pieces that I have managed to obtain. must get into a routine as to when I have some time to craft - now the longer evenings are starting to come across us. hope everything sorts out for Col and of course yourself. Take care. pattypan xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love getting a cheap mixed bag of goodies from the car boot, it's exciting when you get home and discover what you've got!
    Send our best wishes to Col, poor man, hope he feels better soon.
    I never got to go to the Heritage open event either, had to take my daughter horse riding

    ReplyDelete
  3. So annoying when that final piece is missing! Great crafty stash too.
    Hope they find out what the problem is with Col real soon so that he can focus on his recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wonder about Charity Shop jigsaws and bits missing.
    Love to you and to Col too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab car boot find Sue.
    I haven't found a decent one yet but I am starting to visit the charity shops more now that hubby and I are going into the town centre more.
    So sorry to hear about Col. You are both always in my thoughts-x-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear Col is having it rough at the moment. Hope the doctors can get to the bottom of it.

    I love the jigsaw, the picture is exactly the sort of thing I'd go for. Still not completed the one Mum bought me for my birthday. Brilliant crafting haul. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to have to muscle in on the car boots you go too now I'm a lady of leisure! Lovely bag of loot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to have been absent, but I have hardly been home this past couple of weeks. What a lovely jigsaw and glad no pieces were missing. You certainly did well with your carrier bag full of craft bits for £3! I love not knowing exactly what is in a box or bag full - such fun finding out!

    Sorry to read that Col had such an horrendous nosebleed and hope they can get to the bottom of his platelet problem soon and sort it.

    I am putting off reporting our internet and line problem to BT as it takes so long and I will give up the will to live and this is my afternoon OFF. Hoping you have a good one too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about Col. Hopefully it will be under control soon.

    I am SO jealous of your crafty bits and bobs. I did have a few good charity shop finds while I was over. I flew back to US on Friday. I had a lovely time - the weather has been so good to me! Enjoyed spending time with Mum.

    I have plenty of posts to catch up on and plenty of photos to sort through!

    The puzzle looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear about the nosebleed. I sure hope Col is feeling a bit better now.

    I love all your bits of paper crafting supplies. Hope you share what you create with all of us.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear about the nose bleed, do hope Col starts to improve significantly soon and can come home to you!
    One of the reasons we have just moved out of the bungalow we took on a year ago was because of book space - it wasn't the only reason but it was a significant one. I have currently unpacked about a third of the 74 boxes of books we moved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 74!! Wow that's a good collection

      Delete
    2. One of the advantages of teaching English literature for a living - I justify any book purchase as 'work related'!

      Delete
  12. That was a great craft haul, a real bargain. Hope they manage to establish the cause of the nosebleed and he feels a little more comfortable soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope Col feels better soon. I am down to my "I can never be parted from these books". There are still more than there should be, some are sets. lol excuses

    ReplyDelete
  14. poor Col, that does not sound nice.

    Too hot. Horrible. Not happy!
    Bill and Violet were in town for the Pigs gone Wild final showing, but they had to hang around for it to open. Which is how they ended up on the roof of the Willis building. I forgot about the Heritage day, I wanted to go and look at Broomhill pool too, I haven't been there since the 80's & we used to meet up during school hols. Good times. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poor Col. I cannot imagine the discomfort of a 16 hour nosebleed :-(

    There's always that 'phew' moment of relief when the last piece slips into place on a secondhand jigsaw puzzle isn't there, it's a nice one too.

    ReplyDelete