Friday, 9 September 2016

47th out of 47 and 91st out of 91!

Those numbers above are where I am in the reservation lists for the new Alexander McCall Smith in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Series  and " The Essex Serpent" it's by Sarah Perry - this popped up on Amazon "Recommended For You", a  new-to-me author, it sounds good - we shall see. As I'm 91st in the waiting list it's obvious that a lot of other people think it sounds good too. Suffolk Libraries have 43 copies so it shouldn't be too long before I get to read it.

My real reason for browsing on Amazon was to pre-order a new book (Tut!). I'm so excited for Scott at Furrowed Middlebrow Blog as the first books he has collaborated with Dean Street Press to republish are available to pre-order now. I've ordered  A Chelsea Concerto by Frances Faviell. and added "Bewildering Cares" by Winifred Peck, another reprint due out in October, to my wish list.

While I'm looking forward to that arriving here is my latest haul of requested library books .

"The Past Is Myself" is a home front biography but from a English woman who married a German lawyer in 1934 and lived in Germany right through the war.
"Everyone Brave is Forgiven" is a novel and also set during 1939/45. Just coincidence these have turned up at the same time,
The other 3 are all crime, two modern and the bottom one is another of the Jill Paton Walsh books featuring Lord Peter Wimsey the character created in the 1920s by Dorothy Sayers. I've now actually read a Sayers original - "Whose Body?". The very first, written in 1923. That's going to be passed onto a friend.
I've still not finished  "How to be a Tudor" and I'm also reading and enjoying my first ever Barbara Pym - A glass of Blessings"

Loving the Paralympics and Gold medals already even though it's only been on for a day. I shall be watching as much as possible and will also catch " The Last Leg" each evening if I can. I'm quite fond of Josh Widdicombe - in a motherly sort-of way obviously!

Thank you for your prayers and kind wishes. If you've seen Col's Facebook page you'll know he has had another slide down the snake in the snakes and ladder game he's on but is back on a ladder again now.

Back in a jiffy
Sue

20 comments:

  1. Poor Col really is having a tough time - and you too. Hold on though - and look forward to the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is really struggling to feel well - so many setbacks

      Delete
  2. Sorry Col slipped again, but sounds as if he's on the way back up now.
    Love The Last Leg too, and have that bit of a soft spot for Josh Widdicombe too ~ or Trego Mills as I sometimes call him after that clip on MTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall have to investigate what you mention, never watched mock the week ( guessing that's what it is)

      Delete
  3. Barbara Pym is my favourite author ever, I love all her books. I enjoy your blog, especially the blogs about books.
    Regards from Italy,
    Nora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading more Barbara Pym, have no idea why I've never read any before. Glad you enjoy the book posts

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about Col, I hope he's climbing up the ladder a it more now :-)

    Have you managed to unpack all your own books since you moved, and more importantly .... have you enough shelf space to put them all out anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rolls about floor laughing!!!!
      There are 16 boxes of books under Cols bed and 6 more piled up in the corner. I have one bookcase with 5 shelves of books..that's it, no room for anything else. That's why we won't be staying here long once Col is better.

      Delete
    2. Are you going to buy a bigger property just for your books!! Have you thought about having a kindle its a lot cheaper lol

      Delete
  5. I've been reading "River Monsters" from the library. Great writer Jeremy Wade. I love libraries

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keeping good thoughts and sending them your way for Col's healing. Hope he will be home in no time.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue, your 'books read' list never fails to amaze me! I aim for a book a week, but don't always achieve it (especially since I had a real 'reading famine' in July and August). You manage twice that, AND do all the other things that your busy life presents you with!
    As ever, thinking of you and Col, and, hoping the grand-babies (born and yet-to-be-born), and the rest of your family, are all doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't know if you will see this message in time but it is Heritage Weekend in England and amongst the places open in Ipswich is Broomhill swimming baths, just to look round there is an on going campaign to get this reopened, just in case you are interested. Hope Col stays on the ladder now no more snakes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love love love Barbara Pym, so do hope you enjoy reading her books, but sorry Col's had a rocky time recently.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love love love Barbara Pym, so do hope you enjoy reading her books, but sorry Col's had a rocky time recently.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm enjoying The Last Leg too - but mostly because of Adam Hills who is my "crush du jour" at the moment. I think he is VERY good looking. And funny.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for the mention, Sue! Hope you love the books as much as I do. And I'll look forward to hearing more about the Bielenberg books--I've flirted with them occasionally, but never made the commitment. Also, Glass of Blessings is my favorite Pym.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Late scholar is on my waiting list..

    ReplyDelete