Saturday, 7 May 2016

In which I manage to get to a car boot sale..........

......................At last!
It's been a long wait to get to my first boot sale of the year, what with moving and the weather but I was up with the lark to go to the once-a-month-out-of-the-football-season boot sale at Melton near Woodbridge.
It was packed with sellers and buyers, more than I've ever seen there before.


 This was my haul. I've set myself some rules for buying for the future grandchildren -
1. Things must be less than £1 and
2. They must fit on the shelf of the new wardrobe.


My favourite buys? The two Victory wooden jigsaw puzzles -£1 each and 4 Ladybird picture books for 25p each. Can't resist Christmas cards at 50p for the pack. Love the lift out animal puzzle too.

Mighty Movers is a brand new book/pack of 6 pictures of Big machines and some of those picture cubes that make the pictures in the book. The Alison Uttley is really for me (after reading her books of country essays I thought I'd collect a few of the childrens stories) and the wool for my sister to knit more baby cardi's.

I know some of these things will have to stay in the cupboard for a few years but Be Prepared is my motto!

I forgot to include in the picture another book, " From Store to War" by Linda McCullough-Thew. (over £3 on Amazon -but  50p from the boot sale) This is the biography  of a woman who joined the ATS during the war and mentions that it is a sequel to an earlier book  "The Pit Village and the Store" which has now been added to my Amazon wish list.

It was very strange to tour a boot sale and not look at the plants but my enthusiasm for growing our own food seems to have vanished with our move here. I guess after 37 years it was bound to wane, perhaps when Col is better and we can make some veg beds I shall get my growing mojo back.

The other day I forgot to say thank you to VC  for   the encouraging words about her sister and Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma.

Back in a tick
Sue




13 comments:

  1. you got some bargains there, and you are most certainly always prepared! :O)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you're building up a nice little stash of things for the children. I'll be doing the same in a few months. I've seen lots of things in charity shops that look practically brand new. And when you think of all the things they put in their mouths at nursery and playgroups, it really doesn't make a difference where they've come from.

    Just watched your little clip from the beach hut. Nothing nicer than hearing the sound of waves rolling in. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always buy for my grandchildren from the car boot sales they love my finds. The old fashioned wooden toys and games are always a hit and are returned to again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the same for my grandchildren - collecting a box of bargain toys and charity shop finds with a variety of toys and books to get their parents started.I love ladybird books. My husband wants to collect original Rev Awdry train books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always look in charity shops and car boots for suitable things for the grandchildren. Much harder now they're older.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good bargains. Interesting your observations on growing your own food. I had an allotment for 14 years until I had to give it up due to illness. I assumed that once I was well, I would miss it and want to start again but I didn't. I feel content with the flowerbeds in my small garden and get a veg box delivered!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are creating a fabulous little stash of goodies for the future GC! Good self imposed rules too! My friend has gone to a carboot today, she always manages to find quality goods whereas I only seem to find tat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't have "boot sales" here in Ontario. Instead, we have yard sales, or garage sales where people set their stuff out on tables, etc. in their driveways. I've tried to have a few myself over the years, but we aren't located in an area that gets enough traffic, so I'm usually not all that successful. I think you've had enough to think about with moving and hospital visits that your vegetable gardening doesn't have to be a priority anymore. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few garage sales here on occasion. I came past the end of a road where one was happening yesterday, glanced down the road and it was jammed solid with parked cars and more cars trying to get up and down the road!

      Delete
  9. I read your blog,but haven't commented before.Reading the Sunday Times magazine today saw article by Amanda Foreman "Georgiana,Duchess of Devonshire author.In the article she states her husband was diagnosed with NHL 7 years ago and is now fine.Hope you were able to get to your beach hut this lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you have got some good bargains, I love car boot sales, well done x

    ReplyDelete