Monday, 1 February 2016

Old Things and Bird Watching

We don't have any antiques in our house, just one or two old things (plus me and him of course!)

This is my favourite
 It's just a small chest of drawers about 7 inches tall that I've had forever. I don't know where it came from but I believe it was made by someone in the family before I was around. All I remember is using it for plastic dolls cutlery when me and my sister played house. Sometime much later I remember buying and fixing the little brass knobs as before that the only way to get the drawers open was to tip them out. The key is even older and it came from the very old wattle and daub cottage we renovated in 1983. The key lives in the drawers along with random foreign and old coins, fuses and picture hooks.It deserves being used for something better.

Here's something much younger. This little fella crashed into the window as I stood here making a cuppa. It clung on - stunned - long enough for me to go and get my camera and take this picture.
I'm surprised we didn't have more crashes because our neighbour is away, her feeders must be empty and all the blue tits in Knodishall are round at our place eating us out of house and home!
Col didn't sit outside to do the RSPB Garden Bird watch as he did in 2015 but watched from 3 different windows and over the hour saw 

Blue tit 30+
Great Tit 30+
Coal Tit 2
Longtail Tit 6
Greenfinch 2
Chaffinch 12
Goldfinch 9
 Redpoll 2
Blackbird 8
Field fare 2
Wren 6
Robin 4
Dunnock 2
Green Woodpecker 1
Greater Spotted woodpecker 3
Collard Dove 2
Pigeon 6
Jay 1
Magpie 2
Kestrel 1
Sparrow hawk 1
Pheasant 1
Jackdaw 2
Rook 2
Carrion Crow 6


Today the garden is much quieter so our neighbour must be home and has re-filled all her feeders.

Welcome to SusanRD and Christine Grant who have pushed the follower numbers up to 336, thank you for comments yesterday and welcome back to Bridget and Julee two favourite bloggers who've been AWOL for months!

Back again ASAP
Sue

23 comments:

  1. I am ashamed to admit that there are a lot of birds on your list that I would not recognise if they landed on my head. Reading that list made me realise how rubbish I would be at doing the survey. I should do something about my lack of bird knowledge.

    Your little cabinet is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an impressive list of birds in just an hour. I'm impressed that he can differentiate between Jackdaw, Rook and Crow .... I struggle, but then I'm as bad at recognising different bird species as I am at recognising peoples faces.

    I love the little set of drawers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thanks Sue x I wouldn't recognise a lot of those birds too! We had a lot less than you, much more common ones, Blue tits and Starlings mainly! The boys would love to sit and watch your bird feeders, ours is a bit boring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately I didn't do it this year due to the lack of birds, maybe next year she says living in hope x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Fantastic list of birds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's an impressive list! I've kept a list of all,the birds I've ever seen, but not in an HOUR!!! Blimey!
    Lovely little chest of drawers :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a nice little miniature chest of drawers. Is it wood that has been 'japanned', black lacquer which looks like black paint, or is it papier mache? A lovely little piece to treasure and in which to keep your treasures!
    What a lot of birds!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wood, probably black paint with a transfer picture.

      Delete
  9. Lovely little chest of draws. Wow Sue, Col did well counting all that lot.. I had more than I normally do when I do the Birdwatch but that amount is staggering. I had a Great Spotted Woodpecker arrive on the feeders the next day, shame it didn't turn up to be counted.. typical isn't it.. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's an absolutely cracking photo of all the blue tits on your feeder. Whenever I see 2 or 3 birds I always rush for the camera but by the time I'm back they've gone.

    I love the little chest of drawers and your memory of playing dolls house with your sister. That key is something else. It's the sort of thing I'd buy if I saw it for no other reason than it just looks so old. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the little chest!
    What an incredible list of birds and so good that you and Col can identify them, I would be struggling to name even a few.
    Wishing you and Col a good week.
    Pam in TX.xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. That's an impressive list of birds you have there. And what a great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, an amazing number of birds!!! I reckon half the county must have been visiting you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the chest , Its really pretty , The birds are amazing , I want to encourage birds but there are a lot of cats around here so i am not sure its a good idea xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our bird watch was dismal, it was chucking it down with rain so most of the birds stayed away. I love you key!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely drawers, & what a brilliant bird count. Thanks for the heads up that Julie is back, Vee x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for showing us your old treasures. Especially love that old key - that must stir up some memories!
    I see NO birds in my garden. I live next door to a little park, and occasionally see birds in there, from my kitchen window. There's a footpath running along outside, so the kitchen window has a metal grid over it. I'm considering fixing a bird feeder to the grid - that might attract some feathered friends. They totally ignore the one in my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an assortment of birds Col managed to see. Birdlife is alive and kicking in Suffolk.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wonder how many secrets and conversations that little set of drawers has heard - love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I didn't recognize all the names either, hope the little fellow is alright. I had a house wren do that window crash week before last, it did fly on, not too steadily though.
    I love the old key and box.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We had a similar set of drawers once, apparently they were popular design in Victorian/Edwardian times for keeping collections - ours was used for a minerals, fossils and stones collection by a relative of my husbands at the turn of the century. Good bird list!

    ReplyDelete