Friday, 26 February 2016

Chemo number 3 of 6....... delayed by a day and whisper it quietly.......2 more books!

One of the things we have discovered on this coping with Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma "Journey" (sorry, hate that word used in this context but couldn't think of another) is that things rarely go to plan and they get changed at short notice.

Colin rang yesterday morning to check they had a bed for his 3rd Chemo session, -  they hadn't, but we had to trek to hospital anyway for  9am appointment for his scan in the frighteningly named Nuclear Medicine Centre! (They weren't able to do this Wednesday so we could have organised some more help with packing after all - Bother) He popped into the ward just to check they hadn't suddenly found a bed for him - No. The consultant was on the ward so Col asked him about the X Ray results from the other day, all was OK but they are concerned at his lack of energy and shortness of breath. They really need him to have the Rituximab which helps the other chemotherapys to work but that was the one he had a bad reaction to and they had to stop it quickly. They plan to try it again with this 3rd session. The nurses on the ward said ring at 7pm and if they had a bed he could come in. So he did and they had and another trip to Ipswich. Two 50 mile round trips in one day and my driving is improving all the time!
 All these changes play havoc with meal planning - will there be 2 people here for dinner or just me? Do I need to get more bread out of the freezer on not? Do I need to buy milk or will I be on my own for a few days and not use it? The only thing to do is just to go with the flow.

As I write, this afternoon, he has had the first lot of chemo and has just texted to say the nasty stuff has been going for 20 minutes and all is OK this time............Phew!. I won't go up today but hopefully will be able to pick him up tomorrow. 

I went down to Leiston this morning....... paying a bill, a few bits from Co-op, picking up tablets from the doctors and taking the last bag of unwanted items to the charity shop. Of course while in the charity shop I Had to look at the books and spotted the book on the left "Letters from an Airfield"
Subtitled - The True story of a GI Bride of The Mighty Eighth. It was the mention of The 8th Air force which made me look again as of course our son- the archaeologist - is working on documenting the buildings of the 8th USAF, and I wondered if it had any information that might be useful for him. When I got home and had a look it turns out to be even more interesting as it's about a girl from Knodishall! What the connection is between Jack Rosenthal - well known playwright who died a few years ago, and a girl from Knodishall I shall have to read and find out.
Then I noticed the second book " Lake in the Clouds"  by Sara Donati. It is set in the newly independent American States and has over 600 pages and a huge list of characters - according to the first pages- a bit daunting. It might be a good read ........one day. I forked out £1 each for these two.

Now, in reply to lots of lovely comments from the last two posts............

My friend Mary in Bath reminded me that our Penny Pincher Paper Penfriend group has also been writing letters for 15 years. We take it in turns so only one letter every few months and I really look forward to receiving and writing. Our numbers started at 7 dropped to 6, went back to 7 then 8 but now the two newest people aren't writing so we may be back to 6 again, I have to admit that I'm not keen on sending letters to people who don't take a turn to write.

Vintage Singer at Mendingmakingcrafting said that I always sound so calm with all that's going on at the moment and do I ever go "arghhh!". I think I'm past the stage of getting in a panic! I like to think I'm quite organised - helped by all the years of being a Cub Scout leader when being un-organised meant 30 boys in  a Scout hut running riot!

Gill asked if my penfriend W from the windy Scottish island and I have ever met up, and no not yet.

Hello and thank you to Donna who said she is enjoying reading the blog

That's my lot for today except there is a new follower BUT when I clicked to see who it was a warning came up that the blog contained Adult Content - Oh dear, not the sort of follower I wanted to attract at all! how can I get rid of this person? any ideas?

Back Soon
Sue

21 comments:

  1. Crossing fingers and toes for Col during this treatment! He's halfway through when this one's done... hurrah! A friend in college (ions ago) had Non Hodgkins Lymphoma, and was back to full health within a year of chemo. Something to look forward to! By the way, I'm a firm believer that a woman can never have too many books. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halfway through, well done to you both. It's been a tough time .... you deserve two new-to-you books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your polite calling it a journey, I thought it more of a roller coaster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are all tough stuff!

    Where I am here we have a lot of old 5 Group RAF bomber airfields from WW2 - the farmer's fields sometimes have these mysterious concrete circles in, which are the old dispersal points. There's all manner of bits and bobs lurking under the fields, I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think if they have a google account you can block them when you click on them, try this link
    http://smallbusiness.chron.com/block-user-blogspot-33884.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are brilliant, I've removed their picture. How do you know all these techy things?

      Delete
  6. I've had a couple of comments that have had adverts embedded in them. Weird! Good luck I hope Col can take the medication without a reaction this time so it can help him further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that people have to sign up to comment, it has got rid of the spammers. They are trying to be clever and join up with their business/web site name which creates a link back to them. The comments are usually short and complimentary, in the hope that they aren't noticed. But we know better :o)

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear Col is doing better this time. Fingers crossed he keeps it up.
    I hear those whispers as loud as shouting from the tops of the hills having had three MaryEngelbreit books arrive this morning {the sort that cost 1p plus postage} and just been given a copy of the first of the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon of which I hear there is much hype and hoopla so we'll see.
    I have and enjoy several pen friends, none in the UK though so it gets a tad expensive.
    As for getting rid of that unwanted follower, can you block him/her?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Must be really frustrating not knowing exactly what's happening and having to drive backwards and forwards. At least the long journeys are coming to an end. Fingers crossed that Col doesn't have a bad reaction this time.

    The bed situation has got me thinking, would it not matter too much if Col had chemo a couple of days later than originally planned or would they find him a bed somewhere? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People often have to have chemo delayed for a few days - if they have a bad cold or infection etc, so although they like to try and keep it at every 3 weeks (for Cols treatment) it's OK for a bit of a delay.

      Delete
  9. All these journeys must be so frustrating for you both Sue. Put your feet up this evening and read one of those books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue, I am still here reading, albeit late (some things never change) and think you are both amazing, positive people. I wish Col all the very best and hope that the worst is behind you and your new house will be the start of a new phase to your life. We are still around all over the place, and I would like to think that at sometime in the future we could meet up on a campsite somewhere. X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hugs for Col and you. I enjoy your book "sharing".

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those books look very interesting.

    Glad to read that Col is able to take the "bad stuff" this time around.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. FECKING cancer! It's what my sister used to say and still does. The way it and its treatment dictates life! But just take a day at a time! Hoping it goes smoothly for Col and you, and you have a good weekend X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Sue,
    first time commenting, to wish you and Col strength and wisdom dealing with the cancer, we're going through the same struggle with my mum's pancreatic cancer.
    You were so inspired to pick up the Sara Donati book...I do hope you'll enjoy it, it's the third one in a series of 6 and I found them absolutely mesmerising. They are perhaps my favourite books in the whole world (and I do recommend that you find the first two as well if you can).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and thank you for commenting. I shall look forward to reading that book or maybe I'll see if the others are available anywhere first

      Delete
  15. The "Airfield Letters" book looks particularly interesting. I always read your blog when I get up when I have my first coffee- I'm in Winnipeg. I do hope your husband's health improves. I can't believe how well you are handling the move, the trips to Ipswich, all the driving. You sound very calm and assured. I liked reading about your son the archaeolgogist. All good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. Moving into town will certainly save a lot of travelling

      Delete
  16. Very annoying that the hospital can't keep you informed so that you don't have to make two trips. Wishing Colin well and I think you are doing an amazing job coping so well xxx

    ReplyDelete