Sunday, 21 February 2016

Ipswich - here we come

Col phoned Friday evening to say I could pick him up Saturday morning as soon as the consultant had done his rounds. So off  to Ipswich again calling at an electrical place on the way to buy a cooker ready for delivering to the bungalow.
 For the first time in 30+ years I shall have to use an electric hob - I'm going to hate it! Although the heating in the bungalow is gas, the cooker that was there was electric. We don't want to go to the expense of having new gas connections and we've been advised not to have a gas cooker in a house that will be rented out (which is the plan for when Col is well again, plan A?). Therefore electric it must be and I'll just have to get used to it I guess. Cookers do seem to be more expensive than a few years ago and freestanding are more than built-in. We don't want to change the kitchen units at the bungalow as they are fairly new and in good condition. I wonder why the elderly lady who lived there had a new kitchen but not a built in oven?

Thank you to Sadie at a life in the English rain  ( another proper Suffolk gal only much younger than me!) for telling me that the library I shall be near in Ipswich has a craft group and other stuff going on - Great excitement. I shall be asking Sadie for all sorts of info about things going on in town because although most of Ipswich is as familiar to me as our little local towns, actually living there will be a whole new experience.


Photo from Mikesbus pages internet


 I've been going to Ipswich for shopping since I was a small child and can just remember these trolley buses which ran in the town centre until 1963. We would catch the 204 big red bus which ran every two hours all the way from Bury St Edmunds to Ipswich. If you look at my header and follow the road from Bury to Ipswich you will see the dotted line which was then the boundary between East and West Suffolk (until Local government reorganisation in 1973 when Suffolk became one county). We lived just into East Suffolk on the main road which was at that time the A45.
Each school holiday mum would take us on the bus to Ipswich and we'd have lunch in a small fish and chip  restaurant right near the bus station. It was always jam packed full because that was before coffee shops and restaurant popped up everywhere. My favourite shop was Cowells
!960s/70s buttermarket Ipswich found on google photos from EADT
because down in the basement was a fantastic toy shop with big trays of farm animals that you could buy one by one and loads of other pocket money toys. (It's strange to see cars in this road in this photo because the town centre is now all pedestrianised).

I'll be sharing lots more old and new photos of Ipswich over the coming months.

We've just spent a "happy" hour trying to contact BT and sort out phone lines for the bungalow. Still have to try and get through to Talk Talk - Oh what fun!

Back Soon
Sue








27 comments:

  1. It will all work out, eventually. A craft group so close is good news, the bloggy network is great for sharing information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck with Talk Talk - probably the worst company we have ever had to deal with! Happy Col is home - wishing him a smooth road to recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hope we have sorted out Talk Talk, but wont be sure until about a month after we move.

      Delete
  3. It will all come right, and the upheaval will be a distant memory. Happy to hear Col is home. Good luck with Talk Talk. Two years, or more, later and my neighbour is constantly having problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope everything falls into place for you. The more information you can glean from people the more exciting your new chapter will be.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phone delays are so common and so exhausing Sue - as though you hadn't got enough on your plate.
    I would feel the same about a gas hob - I have never used gas and love my electric hob, which I use if I am cooking something in the Aga oven.
    Do gope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I left my lovely gas hob / electric oven at my old house, as too wide for the kitchen here in the flat.
    So cooking is now all electric. I was dreading it, as I much prefer gas under my pans. But, what I inherited was an induction hob, which is better than the old fashioned electric hot plates. I was worried it might interfere with my pacemaker, but did my research and found it was ok. And, it didn't take long for me to get used to it.
    I hardly use the oven, as I have a combination microwave, which has a big enough oven for most things. And I have a Remoska, which I use twice a week for baking my sourdough bread - works better for one person than a larger loaf once a week.
    Hope you get on well with your new cooker.
    So glad Col is home again. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may well check out a combination microwave. We have got quite a small space for a cooker so not much choice but perhaps it won't be for long if we decide not to stay when Col gets better

      Delete
  7. I hated my foray into cooking n an electric cooker in our last rented bungalow. I had gone from an oil fired Aga, and back in our townie days had cooked on a gas hob with an electric oven which was just about tolerable. That was what made it a priority to get an Aga installed in this our 'forever home'.

    Good news about the library craft classes, hopefully a library well used will be safe from closure .... hopefully!!

    It's going to be fun for both of your exploring and re-learning all about Ipswich again.

    Good luck with BT, we vowed NEVER to use them again ... they are bloody useless, we went with satellite broadband and our mobile phones instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are in two minds about phone/broadband because if we do get to travel round in the caravan then we won't be at home much. We'll see what happens

      Delete
  8. I know that you have little choice but to "get on with it" however I am so impressed by your apparent positiveness throughout your blog.
    You are a great example to us all, ( whether you like it or not!). Many people would have buckled under the tasks and stresses you face. Add the dreadful winter weather into the mix and it's enough to send anyone under the covers!
    I truly hope that living in Ipswich exceeds your wildest dreams and that Col is soon fit enough to enjoy the change too. Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      Our winter here on the east coast has been very dry and mild, completely different to other parts of the country

      Delete
  9. Strange how companies perform differently throughout the country. We have BT for phone,mobile and broadband and they connected us to the exact hour on the contract.how lovely to have a library and craft club on your doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had good service from BT too, a few years back we had all sorts of problems with the wires along the road and to the house and they got it sorted quickly each time

      Delete
  10. I have only ever cooked on gas unless we had holiday accommodation with an electric cooker , I really dont like it , But apparently the new models are easier to control so fingers crossed you will be ok , But like others have said you are so positive i really do admire you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would not like to cook on an electric hob now either.

    Ooh, there's a blast from the past! I remember Cowell's, but only just.

    Wonder if you can remember something that I am certain I do, but no one else ever does. At the top of The Walk, do you recall the fur shop? I can't remember the name, I've googled and not found any photos, but I can clearly remember looking in the windows. And I thought it was a shop in two halves, one being where Thortons is, the other half where the jewellers opposite is. Do you remember it? It drives me crazy. I also remember Bowhill Elliot - I think it was called - being where Franklins is now, it was so Grace Brothers I loved it!
    I know some people don't like Ipswich these days, but I do. :O)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm no help as I can't remember either the fur shop or Bowhill Elliot. I do remember when Debenhams was Footmans and the whole place especially the toilets were very plush - unlike now! Do you remember the below ground loos by the bus station with a lady attendant and a Left Luggage facility that was probably way before your time

      Delete
  12. 70s Ford Fiesta and Hillman Avenger saloon on view! I hope all continues to go well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I left my gas cooker and open fire at our first house... bigger family home came with electronic hob (boo, easy to clean but never really gets hot enough for stir fry) and a horrid electric blown air heater/ fake fire. Bleugh! This next move for you is compromise all the way. Hopefully Colin will (with stubborn optimism) get well quickly so it can go back to investment property while you travel. Love to you both from all 5 of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - back to school I guess - have fun up there in the Frozen North!

      Delete
  14. I have always had cookers with a gas hob and electric oven. I ain't going to change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want an electric hob either but needs must.

      Delete
  15. Good luck with the move to Ipswich! I hate cooking on electric rings too, but have been considering an induction hob. I've been trying out a single plug in induction ring, for times when the Aga is overloaded, and it does seem to be distinctly more responsive.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of change in your life, which is always unsettling, but hopefully it will be positive too. I'm a relative newcomer to Suffolk but learning to love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to hear from another Suffolk resident, hope you enjoy reading. I popped over to visit your blog and see I've read several of the books in your list.

      Delete
  17. Almost nothing changed on photos :) You'll live in the wonderful district.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It will be great seeing your old/new pictures of Ipswich. It's my hometown. I currently live in Kalamazoo, Michigan but visit home once a year to visit the rest of my family who still live there.

    I'm thinking of your husband, following his story and hoping all works out well. My Mum was diagnosed with cancer last year. She's doing great now. All the doctors and nurses at Ipswich hospital were great! Your husband is in good hands!

    ReplyDelete