Monday, 15 February 2016

Monday - catching up on all sorts

Thank you for the continuing support through lovely comments. As Marlene said in one of the comments - we do feel like we are on a merry go round, trying to hang on as it goes round and round between hospital and home! 
Welcome to 2 new people in the followers pictures - Chars and Edwina. I apologise in advance as you've started following just as my blog seems to have got stuck on just two subjects - Moving House and Cols Non Hodgkins Lymphoma! At the beginning it was full of self-sufficiency, frugal living and campsite news but our world has changed considerably since April 2013. Follower numbers are now back to where they were before Google started chucking out non google followers, although having said that things will probably go peculiar again.

Col is feeling well after the blood transfusion, it seems strange to think he gave 50 pints of blood between the ages of 18 and 55 and is now getting some back (not his own obviously!). He started giving blood when he worked for a builder in the village where he lived and the men would all go together - what a good idea that was. When he changed to working for the County Council he had to go in the evenings, I went once but felt very faint afterwards then of course I was pregnant, we moved out of town, had the children and it would have been complicated for us both to go. He got a lovely pen as a gift for his 50th pint, I came across  it when sorting and thought it might as well be used rather than sitting in a box in a drawer.

More things got cleared out this weekend as our son and future daughter in law came and collected a settee and also moved a single bed frame and mattress downstairs for us. We didn't think we could take it to the auction sale but I was reading through their on-line catalogue to check our stuff was listed and saw they had a pine bed and mattress on the list so maybe we will take it over there for next week. They have nearly 800 lots for sale today so I think we will be lucky if we get £10 each for our few bits of modern pine. We also delivered a few items of gardening stuff to our youngest as they now have an allotment in Leiston and they came and sorted which of their stuff that has been here since last May can be chucked. Col has organised a friend to come and collect the last lot of scrap during the first week of March and taken a photo of an old caravan chassis to list it on eBay. So little by little the list is getting ticked off.

Some good Rugby on TV over the weekend - England v Italy and some not so good - France v Ireland and did they say it was the 10th time in a row that Wales have beaten Scotland? We also watched the Snooker Shoot Out competition where they got 10 minutes to see how many balls they can pot. Just one chance to go through to the next round. It was interesting to see lots of new faces.

Two books have been added to Books Read 2016 over the couple of weeks. A new-to-me-author writing crime fiction = G. M. Malliet - Pagan Spring. Unfortunately I found it's number 3 of a series but there are two newer ones so they've been ordered. This is another author from the States writing books set in England, a fact given away by the spelling of 'gray' and the mention of 'scallions'! but a good read nevertheless. The other book was Angela Thirkell - The Brandons. One of her Barsetshire series first published in 1939. I love the look at Country Life of the period, where the gentry and the servants Knew Their Place, full of genteel snobbish people but looked at with gentle irony and flashes of humour that make you smile. Her books are gradually being reprinted by Virago Modern Classics, with 6 more due this year.

This morning I popped to Saxmundham  for bits of shopping - still trying to find things Col fancies eating, he has gone off muesli, our usual teabags and home made bread after this last chemo session, it may be different next time - makes shopping quite complicated!  Picked up a mail re-direction form from the post office too.

That's our news up to date

Back in a day or two
Sue





25 comments:

  1. Hello Sue,
    I am one of the people who follows your story without really commenting but today I decided to add a little comment. I love your blog and find it inspiring and have followed you for the past year or so. Now you have joined a group of people that I too belong to. The wives of those fighting non hodkins lymphoma. I am not sure if cols is the same as my husbands. My husband has Bcell and follicular. As I read your blog at the moment I remember that constant journey to the hospital for treatment, tests etc and it makes my stomach turn. It wasn't that bad looking back but I still feel for you.My husband was diagnosed when our youngest was three days old (he has just celebrated his 10th birthday)and I remember it being very traumatic-dragging three children under four to most appointments or ferrying them from one friend to another and I cant remember much about what he went through as I felt like I was juggling everything myself. The treatment is extremely effective but utterly exhausting. My husband worked throughout as a computer analyst so not heavy manual and he found it tiring. After the treatment we returned to a new world where we have chosen to make the most of every second we have. We work the minimum number of hours and use every moment of our free time to play together as a family. we worry much less about the house, clothes, cars or anything else involving money. Hence the reason I followed you blog. I think making the move now is a wonderful thing to focus the mind on and the future you will both have in your new home. Good luck with everything and thank you for the blog.Best wishes from Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this lovely comment. It must have been an incredibly worrying time for you with 3 small children, I struggled with 3 children under 8 even without all the additional problems!
      Col's type is Mantle Cell - a one in 20 and unusual because he is only 58. because of his other health problems last year we had already decided to sell the smallholding so he is able to rest as much as he needs and things will be so much easier in town when we will be much closer to the hospital. As soon as he is well we will take the chance to travel a bit with our caravan and then probably move again as the bungalow is tiny.

      Delete
  2. I have every book Angela Thirkell wrote - it took me about 15 years of combing second hand shops and boot fairs. I love her world although some of the attitudes would not go down well nowadays.
    When I was having chemo I found that it was sugar that made everything taste vile. Even bread contains a small amount of sugar. Crackers are a better option. Good luck with your move

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found some really old Penguin copies at a car boot several years ago but the print was so small I couldn't read them so I'm looking forward to more newer versions

      Delete
  3. I'm going to look up this Angela Thirkell as she sounds right up my street!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying finding some interesting books from the 30's and 40's

      Delete
  4. Loved Helen's comments Sue, and I hope you will find them uplifting.
    I also have one of the lovely pens for those who have given 50 donations of blood or more. I managed 54 but also I was refused on a couple of occasions when the blood wasn't up to scratch (no pun intended). Of course, since I had cancer I've not been able to donate, but I'd not to anyway by now, because of age. But I enjoyed donating, I got to lie down for twenty minutes and then get a cup of tea and a biscuit and without the children under my feet! So between us Col and I have given 104 donations, not bad, eh?
    I do hope that the transfusions continue to help Col.
    All good wishes,
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Col stopped when they decided they preferred people to book an appointment time and as he didn't know when he would be home from work it was very difficult

      Delete
    2. Forgot to say well done on your 54 donations

      Delete
  5. I feel for you both Sue and Col. And yet, writing this I thought that perhaps it is a good thing to have so much to think about. It must make the days pass quickly. And it does sound as if you have lots of support from your family. Love to both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat and yes the weeks are rushing by and Still waiting for definite dates for moving!

      Delete
  6. I've always been 1) too full of meds to give blood and 2) Too prone to stomach upsets. Feel rather guilty about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, have found the change in taste buds and loss of appetite a challenge, not to mention the fatigue. I continue to work full time from home (on-line) during treatment; sometimes, it is hard to complete each week's assignments. Hope you hear soon about moving dates and can finalize your arrangements. Continuing to keep you and your husband in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hospital consumes most of your life at the moment, but for loads of us, life after cancer is so very good. Keep looking forward, my cancer showed itself just 4 months after we moved to this house, so in between sorting builders and sorting our own stuff ( we downsized), it was hectic,but life around you goes on as normal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a blood donor and have been for 10 years. I think its important, you never know when you're going to ned some. I'm glad Col is feeling a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you to all those blood donors! I had to have one before my surgery two years ago, and I felt like a new woman after it.
    Sadly, I've never been able to donate, but DH and DD both have.
    Remembering you two in my thoughts and prayers.
    Jo Ann

    ReplyDelete
  12. How very good of him to do that, I hope he was blessed for it, and that he does well through this difficult journey you both are on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even if you don't get much for the furniture at least you know that it will be gone and all the bits of money add up don't they. Plus if you find you need some more furniture if you do move again to a larger house in the future you know where to go to get some at a good price! I hope that you don't mind if I don't always comment about the medically things, I assume that you don't always want to hear my thoughts and that you know that you are both always in my thoughts anyway, because you are! I have a friend who is just about to start on the same journey and I know they will talk and it is my job to listen and not always to comment. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for not commenting on the health thingys. I would avoid all mention of it if I could because I really don't like talking about all the details (even avoiding answering the phone!) but it's difficult not to say something when nothing else is happening in our world at the moment.
      The furniture was nothing spectacular- quite glad to see the back of it, should get a cheque for a little through the post sometime.

      Delete
  14. Sounds like you are getting there slowly but surely. I'd say with all you've got going on you're doing really well. 50 pints! That's a number to be proud of. I wonder how many people Col has helped over the years. I'm afraid I'd cause more trouble than my pint would be worth. They find it hard to get anything out of me and I hate needles. Grandad worked at Ferranti and they would come in and 'do' the workforce. I know he got a few badges when he hit certain milestones.

    Just wondering if Col ever has a week off from hospital or does he have to go for something or other every week? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, every week, several times it seems!

      Delete
  15. I'm thankful for all blood donors as my life was saved when I was 5 years old when I had to have 2 blood transfusions.. I'm one of the rarer blood groups (7%) A- but unfortunately I've been told not to try and give blood as they struggle to get any out of me when I need blood tests. I have no problems with needles and watch when then try and extract it.. my body just doesn't want to part with it.. unless of cause I cut myself then it's a different story!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blood donation is an heroic act. Keep donating and save lives.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Angela Thirkell is an old favorite of mine. I started reading the Barsetshire series when I was a teen in the 1950s, although I did not read them in chronological order. I search for them in used book shops but have only been able to collect a few. Maybe they will be available digitally if they are reprinting them. A good social history of England in mid-century.
    Hope the move goes well.
    Sarah in California

    ReplyDelete