Wednesday, 29 June 2016

Things 'discovered' this week

  • I discovered that if  I'd have paid £14.99 for this,
CoverI'd have felt aggrieved. (so thank heavens for libraries). It's largish type and  double spaced so 452 pages could have been 226. Then each chapter heading has a page to itself, so make that under 200 pages, and just two evenings reading.
The story itself is fine, sort-of chick lit I suppose - not as good as some of her earlier books though, seems to skim the surface of the characters.
After writing this I looked to see what people had written in the Amazon reviews - they were very mixed. So you pay your money ( but don't!) and make up your own mind.

  • I discovered that all pieces were present and correct for the jigsaw puzzle. I shall pass it on to Col's sister for her neighbour.


  • I discovered that if you bike to B & Q to buy a new shower (ours packed up Monday morning when the water suddenly stopped and the on/off button got stuck) you have to walk back balancing the rather large box in the bike basket,

and because our nearest B&Q is closing I got a bargain. But then Col Discovered sometimes you just need to turn off water and electric, take the shower to bits, fiddle with the bit inside where the on/off button is and it will work again. I won't be taking the one I bought back to B&Q because it will happily sit in the cupboard ready for when the old shower really does go wrong.

  • I discovered that I don't know what this is. Before the flowers appeared I thought it was a clematis
now I'm not sure.

  • And finally, if I didn't know before, I discovered that I am a hopeless case when it comes to car-boot sale books. I blame  Scott at Furrowed Middlebrow blog  for a couple of these, because of reading it I've caught his addiction to old books! But not at any price, as this pile of books, another toy for the grandchildren's cupboard,Christmas doilies and the canning set were £4.50 in total.


Thanks for comments and welcome to new follower Serenata ( I like your book lists!)

Back Soon
Sue

23 comments:

  1. Hi Sue, the shrub is called Leycestria Formosa, common name is Himalayan Honeysuckle. It has purple berries later in the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness you were quick sorting that out for me- Thankyou

      Delete
  2. bargain on the canning set well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just in case we get to our hovel in the hills or I'll put it on ebay as "Vintage!"

      Delete
  3. My old flat doesn't have a shower. I like to have very long baths, but I'm tempted to buy a solar heated shower and use it in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have more sun than we've got!

      Delete
  4. Whatever you do, don't pick the flowers to go inside. If there are any purple berries on them they fall off and stain whatever is underneath. They are a lovely plant. Just keep it in the garden and admire.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dare I say that the farmer and I both hate Car Boot Sales and never cross the threshold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so upset that B&Q are closing. I often strolled up there to get vouchers for Bill and my dad, it was so handy. I can't bear to go in there now, seeing it winding down :o(

    you are such a rascal with your books, but I don't blame you. Got to have a few treats in our lives :O) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The shrub is called Pheasant Berry. They self seed and are dead easy to make cuttings. We have a quite few of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pheasant berry is an alternative name, also known as flowering nutmeg. As Dave says they self seed and are very fast growing, easy to move too if necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The canning kit alone is worth over £4.50, what a fab haul! My nephew used to love sitting there pushing the cubes around the wires on one of those toys. I think it came from the early learning centre

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant haul from the car boot sale. I'm on the look out for some things for the garden for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've put me to shame with the jigsaw, I've still only done the border on mine. You car boot hauls are very good. I'll be keeping an eye open for baby things myself from now on :) Smiling at you balancing the shower on your bike basket. When I first left home there was no washing machine in the house I moved into and I used to balance all my laundry in my bike basket and pedal to the laundrette in town. Could hardly see over the top of it! Hope Col is keeping well. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding interesting toys for grandchildren is becoming another addiction - there is some amazing cheap but good quality stuff in charity shops

      Delete
  12. There's something VERY appealing about old books isn't there. I love the thicker pages and the gorgeous covers. I don't have many at the moment, but I can see how it could very easily develop into an obsession collecting them.

    I love it when a jigsaw is finished and all the pieces are there. We have a very nice one that we actually paid quite a bit for and we guess our pup ate two of the pieces as one day we came home one day to find she had been on the table with it and by the time we finished it there were two missing :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably didn't search too hard for them at the other end!!!

      Delete
  13. You can never have too many books, Sue!
    By the way, well done on completing the jigsaw! It's really pretty, isn't it (even with the moggies, har, har!)
    I enjoyed the Rachel Hore, but as with a great many writers, their publishers expect them to deliver a book a year and this is when quality begins to suffer. I have this from the horse's mouth (i.e. a top selling writer who is a friend of mine) and it's often difficult to meet that demand. Also, when you're known for a certain style of writing, chick-lit or saga or whatever, you have to stick to that formula, so with some writers you could just change the names, the location and the jobs they have, maybe shuffle the problems they have (for all novels are really problem solvers) and you'd have a new novel ...
    I also have a friend who wrote a different type of novel each time she wrote (and she is an excellent novelist) but her publisher dropped her because she couldn't be slotted into a particular genre! Since then she's published independently, and done very well for herself, I'm happy to say.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots of discoveries. At least you only borrowed the book and hadn't actually bought it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just wanted to pop by and say I always read your blog, and you and Col are in my prayers, even though I rarely if ever comment.
    Been meaning to say so for a while, because sometimes it's just nice to know people are thinking of you even if they don't say much, I think. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Sue 😊 I'm away at the moment but hope to catch up next week and update my blog!

    ReplyDelete