Wednesday, 8 June 2016

The £100 book?




Is the book in this photo really worth £100?
Well, there are a few copies on Amazon for sale for that price but whether anyone will buy them is a different matter. I paid 50p - much more realistic. Knowing nothing about it or the author - as I was only drawn to it by a small embossed picture of a farmhouse on the front cover - I came home and looked him up.You can read about him here if you want. Seems he was best known for having an affair with Evelyn Gardner when she was still married to Evelyn Waugh.
So where was this treasure?........... At a midweek boot sale which I ventured to early this morning, held at Needham Market which is just a quick dash down the A14 from here.
(I'm pleased that I am now confident enough to zoom to boot sales along busy main roads! I couldn't and wouldn't have done it a couple of years ago). There were quite a few booters there but most of them looked like traders or dealers and other than the book, only  £1.20 was spent on the wooden train and a pack of notepaper and envelopes.
By 8.30am it was getting hot, and I'd been round once so drove home again via Asda for shopping. Then spent an hour sitting in the garden until it got too hot for that too.

Col, by the way, is back in hospital AGAIN! He just had 3 days out then felt hot and shivery, his temperature was almost 38 so a phone call to the special cancer ward 'hotline' number and they told him to go back again. His neutrophil level was almost zero ( Neutrophils are the white blood cells that protect against infection) so he will be in hospital having frequent platelet, blood infusions and antibiotics and they will keep a close eye on him for at least 5 days. The type of Non Hodgkin Lymphoma he has is certainly a nasty one.

Thank you to penfriends (who read this blog) SW for the little hat for baby Jacob and  WM for the muslin cloths also for our little fella. Both arrived in the post this morning. J, H and baby Jacob are hoping to get here for a weekend soon if we can't get there.

Thank you for comments, now it's time for another half hour in the sun - just in case this is the last day of summer!.


Back in a day or 3
Sue

19 comments:

  1. We just had a fire alrm at work - exploding phone battery, so we've just had an unscheduled twenty minutes outside on a very pleasant day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness it wasn't in the middle of a thunderstorm!

      Delete
  2. I admire your fortitude Sue - you certainly deserve to be sitting outside in the sun. Best wishes to Col.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit down yesterday when they said he would be in for at least 5 days again when he had only been home for 3, but am back to the going with the flow mode today.

      Delete
  3. Very sorry to hear that Colin is running a low grade fever. Do hope he is well very soon.

    That is a lovely little wooden train. How lovely that you may get to see Baby Jacob this weekend.

    Enjoy the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not this weekend but sometime this month. The sun is lovely after 2 weeks of grey.

      Delete
  4. My best wishes to Col, I know how devastating a sudden rush admittance to hospital can be. I admire the way that you just shoulder through these troughs, but really there is no better way if you have the strength. Lovely finds, I wish there were some boot sales close to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a difficult time for you both, I love you little train, wooden toys are really the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is what I call a bargain book. Love the train too. Hope all goes well with your husband he is certainly having a rough time of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pu tit on for £95 and undercut the rest! Hope Col is out again soon and can enjoy this sunshine, I doubt he likes being cooped up. Love from my family
    Kev

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear Col is still struggling with his illness, hugs to you both. Great boot sale finds, Sue, I would read the book and list it on Amazon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Something is only worth what folk are willing to pay for it ... nope I don't THINK I would pay £100 for a book.

    Sorry to hear Col's back in hospital, you really are both going through a tough time at the moment. Fingers crossed for continuing sunshine for you to sit out and enjoy your books and garden ..... and it's the tennis soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear that Col is back in hospital again, hope they get him home to you soon.

    Love seeing you in full Nanna mode - great train!

    Would I pay £100 for a book - well, not on a regular basis but I do collect (and read!) books by a particular 19thC author who is no longer in print (although a couple of small publishing houses are beginning to reprint her books) but mostly I am buying 19thC prints of her books which are not that easy to come by and they do cost, often, closer to £100 than they do to £5 so...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I often wonder where prices come from? When I look on ebay the same item varies so much. Get Well soon Col.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope that all will be OK for Col and that he will soon be home again. That book price is amazing. There is an old Good Housekeeping cookery book that I would love to get a copy of, it was a special book club edition, and whenever I have seen it on amazon people want a fortune for them, it is only a recipe book! I am amazed at what some people will charge and what some will pay! Your book is much better value!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to here about your husband's continuing problems, it is a nasty disease for sure. Great bargains!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll be keeping Col in my thoughts. Hope things look up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Sue I do hope J & H can make the trip to visit you so that you can meet Jacob, you will both adore him. Fingers crossed that they visit you both very soon x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Will keep our fingers crossed that Colin will not have to go/stay in Hospital as often!!

    ReplyDelete