Sunday, 12 June 2016

Thought for the day.........................


............Who decided tea bags should be in boxes of 40, 80 and multiples? surely 50 and 100 would be more logical.

Oh, I've just noticed two more people have clicked the follower button, so welcome to Bridget and someone else but not sure who.

I finished this new Elly Griffiths book in double quick time and was slightly disappointed, hardly a mention of archaeology at all and  the characters have lost their character (if you see what I mean). This is the 8th novel in the series, this time set mainly in the pilgrimage village of Walsingham in Norfolk. If you haven't read these and you like modern crime novels and prefer to buy rather than borrow, then The Book People have the first 5 on offer for £7.99, and no I'm not getting paid to tell you this - unfortunately!

What to read next? I choose The Year of Reading Dangerously, How 50 Great Books Saved My Life by Andy Miller but Oh Dear, after 40 pages I was already getting cross. A few weeks back I had a book called How to Be Well Read by John Sutherland - his choice of 500 'great' novels, and after flicking through discovered that although I read a lot I wasn't well read at all. Reading The Year of.....  I realised that actually I'm not bothered that I've never read all the books that I 'ought' to have read. That's the difference between me and Andy Miller, he pretended to other people that he had read all the big classics, he was ashamed at what he hadn't read and wanted to  read more of them. Whereas I just can't be ar**d!
Mr Miller has a lot to say about a reading group he joined - it sounded 'awfully pretentious darling' and that is one of the reasons I've never joined one, I like reading, I enjoy sharing my thoughts about books on here but as for dissecting and discussing a book afterwards - No, I'm too busy getting on to the next book!
I see that my friend Mary In Bath has commented yesterday that she enjoyed The Year Of.....  and said it will give me more inspiration for reading, we'll have to agree to differ on that I reckon :-)
There was just one sentence in those first forty pages that struck a chord........ a nineteenth-century German philosopher called Schopenhaeur said "It would be a good thing to buy books if one could also buy the time to read them". Oh So True.
 
 We had a good thunder storm and rain on Saturday afternoon, I had the football on TV to keep me company while cross stitching (yep, Col is still in hospital, they won't let him out as his temperature just won't stay steady and his immunity level is at rock bottom) and was expecting the picture to go all peculiar as it did over at Fareacre but then I remembered -Duh! we hadn't got a satellite anymore, we're on Freeview now we're in town, we couldn't get it in the country. Good, no more losing the picture during every storm or heavy rain. We hadn't had any rain for a couple of weeks and everywhere smelled wonderfully fresh.

Please could some of you do something for me? I've noticed that on some folks blog roll my blog is still listed as Frugal In Suffolk - well, as we are now pretty un-frugal especially when it comes to food and buying a beach hut! could you go into the edit bit and change the title, Ta - much obliged.

Back Soon
Sue










26 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear that Col is still in hospital. I hope he gets home soon.

    It's funny how different we all as readers but we should never be ashamed of the books we haven't read. I haven't read any of what they call 'the classics' because I don't like them. On the other hand my daughter has read them all and thoroughly enjoyed them. I don't feel ashamed that I haven't read them just glad that the time I would have wasted on them was spent reading something I enjoyed-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's never enough time for everything I do want to read so no time for reading what I don't want to read!!

      Delete
  2. I hope Col gets home soon. I dislike snobbery about books. Like u I read what I enjoy. I don't have time to waste reading boring books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to check how you were listed on my blog roll. Don't have to change it thank heavens as sometimes when I edit something it disappears completely. Then I spend days getting it to come back.

    I think some of the what to read lists depends on who (or what) is doing the list making. Really, I know for a fact that some of the books I read would never make the cut, but I enjoyed them immensely. Reading is to be enjoyed and nothing goes to waste when a book is read.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I give up on books that are boring quite quickly

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry Col is in hospital, but the best place if he needs careful attention. Very best wishes to you both.
    As for reading ... the book sounds just what would put me off attempting to read books which I "ought" to read. As a friend said to me years ago, "beware 'oughts' and 'shoulds'!" I read what I want to read, I'm not going to be examined on my reading. Shy should I feel bad that I've not read War and Peace or the whole Dickens oeuvre or Plato or Proust? What you might like is a book with a similar title: The Year of Living Danishly, now that is a book you might enjoy (if you've not read it already!)
    Just had the Red Arrows doing their stuff in Torbay, I could see much of it from the bathroom window and then an RAF Typhoon, screamed overhead and did barrel rolls etc out at sea, it was a wonderful display! And the sun shone for this third day of the Torbay Air Show!
    My reading is quite diverse at the moment - a book on Tall Ships and one on the rebuilding of London after the Great Fire (written and published in 1940, during the 2nd time London was blitzed, not by a fire but by the Luftwaffe!)
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thought of reading war and peace makes my arms ache!
      half the red arrows went home yesterday (after the royal flypast) over Ipswich - got a half second glimpse!

      Delete
    2. I meant to add that I gave up on the Elly Griffiths novel which was set in a racing stable, I just lost interest. Perhaps her next books were/are better but then you say you were disappointed with the latest ...
      Margaret P

      Delete
  5. I will now go and look what you are called on my blog roll and change it if necessary Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just pulled "Reading Dangerously" off the shelf, and find I haven't actually read that many of the books on his list - 19 out of his 50, but I did enjoy reading about his exploits!
    I belong to two book groups, and my least favourite one can at times be a bit serious and analytical. But the other one is a laugh a minute, and we consume food and wine as part of the proceedings! We've got quite similar tastes, so almost never read a book I hate. Three of us are oldies like me, and the rest all have school age children. So, book groups are not all like his!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only read 2 and a half of the 50! but felt quite chuffed that I had actually already read 2 out of his list of books he intended to read soon and I thought his "discussion ideas" at the back were very funny. The book group with food and wine sounds good!

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear about Col. Hopefully he'll be able to come home soon.

    Sorry to hear about the book - I was looking forward to reading it. I actually did buy it for MIL for Mother's Day. Haven't heard from her how she liked it.

    I was on Skype with my Mum Saturday when the rain came. She got really dark all of a sudden and I thought it was a little early for the sun to go down! She said it looked really black out and then the rain came. She said there might be rain the next couple of days.

    I am currently reading Geared for the Grave by Duffy Brown that is a light mystery. It is set on Mackinaw Island that bridges lower Michigan from Upper Michigan. We might go over to the island when we go on our holiday. There are no cars allowed. Only bikes and horses/carts. It's a lovely place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Elly Griffiths is good but just not as good as the earlier ones, as if it had been written in a hurry. It got extremely dark here when it rained on Saturday and the forecast is a bit iffy for the whole week

      Delete
  8. Book snobbery sucks. I did my dissertation in the final year of my English degree on teen fiction. I concluded that the point horror series type fiction that teachers and librarians were despairing of was as well written as most of the 'real' books available at the time. Kids enjoyed them, they read voraciously and were experiencing all the same plot devices and language techniques they would experience in any cannon lead 'should read' list. The only difference was they were quick and easy to read and fun (if a little formulaic). They only used one device at a time, so there was less opportunity for complexities (or confusion!).

    I teach A level literature, and read any old trash I find in a camp site library all summer!

    I thoroughly recommend reading anything from the Carnegie medal short list, don't think they are 'kids' books. Some amazing titles on every time I shadow the award.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise you taught right up to A level, hope you don't have to do the same stuff over and over each year. and I've always thought that children reading anything is better than reading nothing. Our youngest, who left school at 17 read almost nothing by choice until Harry Potter came along now she probably reads more than the other two who did A level English.
      I wonder if the new owners of Fareacre have a campsite library,apparently they've moved the stall up to the campsite gateway and sell cans of drink - very odd!

      Delete
  9. Your blog address is : http://frugalinsuffolk.blogspot.com.au . I hope Col gets better v soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know, but the blog is called Our Quiet Life In Suffolk

      Delete
  10. Hi Sue .... and can you kindly remove off your blog roll my old blog - house of simple. the link is now closed and it goes nowhere. I had to close it but am now reblogging and starting from scratch. Thanks heaps P

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know, you are pretty frugal! Sorry the reading has been mixed, you are better than me though, I struggle on rather than giving up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many just waiting to be read although sometimes I think I read too quickly because I can't remember the story if anyone was to question me on it in an exam a week or so later!

      Delete
  12. Sorry Col is still in hospital :o(
    Football?! *insert little shocked face here*
    ;o)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No flags out of windows here though either! and in my defense it was only to keep me company while cross stitching and to stop my mind going off somewhere worrying!

      Delete