Wednesday, 1 June 2016

Replies to 100+ comments!

There were so many comments on the last 3 posts and I really should reply so...............
Thank you to everyone who wished the infection away so Col could get home, sadly he is still in as they are waiting for the culture to grow to see what it is! He now feels absolutely fine and has had no more high temperatures so it might be nothing at all...........which would be good but frustrating. He won't be out before Friday morning. The man in the next bed died suddenly last night, which is awful for the others in the ward (and for the mans family obviously) because they don't seem to have anywhere to move the deceased away from the ward ........... really horrible for everyone. The nurses were deep cleaning the bed at 4 am - in the ward with 5 people wanting to sleep-  and when Col next woke up there was someone else there already! Our NHS is wonderful but some things could do with extra money/nurses/space etc.

Also thanks for all the comments about little Jacob Rhys - love that name, can't wait to see him.

Simon......the food in Ipswich hospital is awful, it is shipped in a lorry from somewhere in Essex and just heated up in Ipswich. Potatoes are either rock hard or a mush, they don't seem to add any flavourings so things are mostly tasteless. Luckily they do provide the cancer patients with a cooked breakfast if they want it and that is done on site. The cancer ward is the only one with this 'privilege'. The wards do their own toast so at least that's fresh.

Our daughter - the new mum - was only 6lb 3oz so I'm not surprised little Jacob is a small fella, I'm sure he will soon grow.

Thank you to My shabby chic and Mid Suffolk Meadow for explaining the ESA increase

Christine at Bluebell and Violet ( Jacob's other nan/gran) I am extremely envious that you have been able to see our new grandson already! He looks so cuddly and kissable

Ilona - yes you are so right about moving, it has made things much easier.

Jackie in Canada, sorry that your son couldn't continue in archaeology, I hadn't thought about the effect of snow and frozen ground on digs! Our son only ever camped once when on a dig - way back in uni days. Most archaeology work here is short term contracts and so much is done by volunteers that it's not easy to get a proper salaried job - he is very pleased that he'll be able to stay living in Suffolk.

Mary, I'm glad you are enjoying The Shepherds life, it's one I'm adding to my read-it-again list

Jess - Happy birthday to your OH and look forward to seeing you in the Summer, I want all the inside info on what the new owners are doing at Fareacre! Baby Jacob has more hair than his Grandad Col at the moment - Col's hair may grow back white which will look good I think!


Sadie - the cheese straws gave Col indigestion  ( a phase of the after -chemo thing) so I had to bring the rest home and eat them myself !

Lyn at I prefer reading - I've made a note of which Trollope's you recommend as the best to try so will give one a go.

Thank you to Sam who asked if I could speak about blogging at a meeting of small business members in Suffolk. All I would be able to say is that I started not having a clue what I was doing and carried on because I enjoyed it! Oh, and thank you for clicking the follower button.

Sue in Wales - No Col doesn't enjoy watching tennis as much as I do but he's got used to my Month-of-tennis-watching and puts up with it. Good job it's just a month! Our son said that on one of the Sky channels there seems to be tennis on all the time - probably a good thing we only have Freeview - I would never get anything done.


Back in a day or two................do hope the B******weather has warmed up a bit - it's freezing here and so very grey and windy too

Sue

20 comments:

  1. How wonderful that everyone has been so supportive!! That is great, a wonderful side of blogging, in fact, just about the best hey! Just one thought, does Col have DLA as well as the ESA? You should check if not and if not see if you can get it backdated, probably only by 3 months max, but check. Should be mid rate, but probably - although this is crazy - not higher rate. Might be worth a look and hold out for higher rate if you can. Hope they figure out the infection. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. col can apply for PIP its taken over from DLA and is the only thing weve managed to get, the forms are horrendous so theres nice folks at the local council for that . then you can ask for a home interview

      Delete
    2. Thank you for all the info. he wouldn't be eligible for PIP as he hasn't really been ill enough for long enough. We are glad we downsized so have ample savings to see us through

      Delete
  2. You might get the extra esa backdated too from the begining of the claim xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Sue, I agree that the weather doesn't help at all. It is awful here but I understand it is even worse where you are.
    Do hope Col's temperature goes away and that he is hoe on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He only had a high temp once and now feels fine so they may be keeping him there for nothing but they get very concerned with high temps due to the risk of sepsis

      Delete
  4. Read The Shepherd's Life in two days - awarded it 5 stars (my top rating!)
    Trollope - The Way We Live Now - greed and deceit in business and politics, still very relevant today. Most people in my book group loved it, though it's a long read.
    Hope Col gets home soon, especially as the food is so dire! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read a precis of it and thought - heck - can't be doing with that! I'm going to try Barchester Towers it sounds a bit easier.

      Delete
  5. that's a lot of replying you've done there! Yes, it is still freezing. We've been at home all week, so today I said to Violet 'we're going to walk up to Asda', so we did. It was blustery, and teeny raindrops could be felt now and then, but the sun burst out at least three times. Well, I say burst, I mean peeped around a cloud or two!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sun? when did you see that? and how did I miss it?

      Delete
  6. It is amazing to think that hospitals pay so little attention to meals for patients,both from a nutrition aspect and to give patients something to look forward to.Glad your husband is feeling a lot better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about money......or rather lack of it

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear Col is feeling better and hope he's been able to come home today. I've been on a ward twice where somebody died. It's horrible because they tried to resuscitate them and although they drew the curtains you could hear everything that was going on. It really is like something you see on TV, staff just come running from nowhere. Leaves you with a funny feeling especially as it can take a while for the body to be removed. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's happened two or three times while Col has been in and out and in again. The nurses told him they have to leave the deceased where they are until all relatives have been to pay respects, but it just doesn't seem right at all

      Delete
    2. That certainly doesn't seem right from everybody's point of view. If it were my relative I'd want the privacy of paying my respects in a private room, not to be the centre of attention on a ward full of people. Honestly, I don't know who makes these rules up sometimes. xx

      Delete
  8. Good news that he is feeling a bit more chipper and I hope it isn't an infection. I can imagine having someone in the next bed die must be pretty horrid and make you feel SO mortal. Fingers crossed his final treatment can soon go ahead.

    I am off to Hampshire for a few days to stay with my best friend, although we won't be going out to celebrate as she can barely walk now. Bad side effects from chemo and steroids. So if I don't post on your blog, it's because I'm not at my computer.

    I am hoping to take the sunshine with me (we've had it sunny and hot (if windy) all week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I don't like to gloat... but we don't often get a chance so here goes: we've just got back from a few days in the van for OH's birthday/ half term. All of us caught the sun. I look like I've already done my first week in suffolk summer. We were out on a boating lake at the site we were on in the dinghy. Rolling round in the field with the kids, perfect! Came home for a blood donation appointment and they didn't want me!! I have a history of fainting but wanted to try again. After a long conversation with the nurse in charge of the centre she sent me away. So as much as I wanted to give back some of what Col has needed, I'm not allowed :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are brilliant for trying, that's more than many do!

      Delete