Friday, 10 June 2016

Yet more library books........... and a rose

Another load of books brought home from the library. The waiting list was very long for the Elly Griffiths and I'm pleased that it's my turn at last. Guy Fraser-Sampson is a new author to me, he is speaking at the Felixstowe book festival. I've read most of Rachel Hore's books - this is the latest. I think The Fever Tree was mentioned on a blog - no idea what it is. The Year Of Reading Dangerously looks good and The Hogs Back Mystery is another in the British Library Crime Classics reprints. The Attenbury Emeralds is one of the books by Dorothy L Sayers that Jill Paton Walsh finished writing. Human Voices by Penelope Fitzgerald caught my eye on the returned shelf.
I'll let you know how I get on with them all. (Maybe I should stop ordering from the library for a while and read all the books I'm acquiring elsewhere, then I could blog about it or even write a book, like Susan Hill did with her book Howards End is on The Landing! )(or Not)



I squeezed between the caravan and the shrubs out the front to bring in this rose which is different to those in the back garden but it's a disappointment -gorgeous colour but no scent whatsoever. Which means that out of the 7 bushes here only one is scented.

Have a good weekend everyone, enjoy the weeks of football if that's your thing, personally I'm looking forward to Monday when Tennis from Queens Club starts on TV. Talking TV did anyone catch a programme on BBC4 last night, I hadn't seen it trailed at all but happened upon it by chance, it was called Make! and featured two crafting workshops - Lampshades using textiles and paper cutting, I assumed it was the first in a series but it seems to have been a one off. Pity, as it was quite good and inspiring.

Back Soon
Sue












21 comments:

  1. Good book selection. I loved The Fever Tree and The House on Bellevue Gardens.
    The rose is pretty, but so many now have no scent, sadly.
    Best wishes to you and to Col,
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. On bbc4 next Tuesday (14th), at 8pm is make.My tv book doesn't say whether or not its a repeat. Brilliant program lets have more please. Regards Jane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looked at in on BBC schedule and yes it is a repeat of last nights

      Delete
  3. I've noted down some of the books you have there as I am just about to finish Forever Amber and need something to start on next. Can't do without my nightly read.
    My climbing rose is just starting to flower. Looks gorgeous but no scent there either-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOooh! When I was a little girl, Forever Amber was considered rather risqué! No doubt there is much worse available today, har, har!
      Margaret P

      Delete
  4. That's a shame there is no beautiful rose scent, but what gorgeous colour! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved that programme last night especially the lampshade making. I would have made it into a wall hanging though! Enjoy your reading and thinking of Col as always. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  6. ....that rose is just pure delightful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh I forgot about Make- will catch it on iplayer. Just finished, and quite enjoyed, the Attenbury Emeralds. Finding the crime Clasics Reprints a real hit&miss affair- found some realy good, others a bit ho-hum - but they have such cool covers!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. At our Friday coffee morning today Sue several friends had watched that Make programme last night and said how good and inspiring it was.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really sorry to hear Col is back in hospital again. He seems to be having a rough time lately, hope he's back on track soon.

    Don't know what's happened to roses these days. My nanna had loads in her garden and they had a lovely scent. Either my sense of smell has gone AWOL or these days scented roses are a rarity. Such a shame because when they do have a scent they smell wonderful. It's a beautiful rose though. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love reading Rachel Hore and Elly Griffiths. I got my MIL interested in the Elly Griffiths books too - I like that they are set in the area. I haven't read either of those. They are quite expensive over here - maybe I'll find them in a charity shop when I come home. A girl can hope, right?

    Hope you have a good weekend and get in some reading time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just finished another EVA DOLAN, set in Peterborough and features a lot of what is happening with eastern European workers. Recommend them as a completely new slant on modern life and good stories. Lots of Elly Griffiths in the library here as it is set locally - but I got cross with the writing when it gave the idea it takes less than 30 mins to drive from Norwich to Holme by the sea via Kings Lynn!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fever trees are South African used to be called Acacias.
    Early settlers called them fever trees as they grow in swamps where malaria is prevalant. Not actually the tree's fault! Beautiful trees with shimmering lime green bark - much like silver birches, but with thorns.

    http://elephantseyegarden.blogspot.co.za/2010/06/fever-tree-umbrella-thorn-mimosa-port.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS maybe a seriously fragrant rose for granny's new garden?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sue, I stumbled upon that program to. Nice to see the men getting stuck in and enjoying the embroidery. Ive been making seats for my outside bench David made me, I love the bench even though it is simple. When I finish the cushions I can sit in the garden with a book or some hand sewing bliss

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hadn't seen it advertised either What a great programme it was. Everyone was so genuinely thrilled and enthused by their makes. Those lampshades were stunning.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope to have more time for reading soon - I currently read "Vanished Kingdoms" by Norman Davies...

    ReplyDelete
  17. My daughter told me to get that programme on iPlayer - haven't had time yet, so may catch the repeat on Tuesday.
    I love The Year of Reading Dangerously. Lots of reading inspiration in there.
    My reading pile is already huge at the moment, so don't dare go to the library!
    Thinking of you both as ever. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks. I had not realized there was a new Elly Griffiths out. I am now on two waiting lists for it. Love her books.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Shame the roses don't have any scent, I am sure you can add some more in time!

    ReplyDelete