Saturday, 4 June 2016

The week just gone

Apart from becoming Nanna Sue on the 27th, gazing at pictures of baby Jacob, stitching, sudoku-ing, baking  and watching as much tennis as the weather allowed, I did do a few other things while waiting for Col to come home after chemo number 6. (The really silly thing is that he probably didn't have any infection as nothing showed up in the blood culture. The high temperature was probably due to him having a heat pad round his neck because he felt so achy!) I finally picked him up yesterday afternoon.

So back to last Sunday when I zoomed out of Ipswich early to go to a car boot sale. It was Huge but mostly dealers or people wanting silly prices. All I found was a yellow ink refill for the printer, a big pot of parsley, a babies knife, fork & spoon set and a book about the ENSA organisation during WWII. Total spend £3.80 so apart from the exercise I got walking round, it was almost a waste of time.

I've walked to the shops and post office through this alleyway  passing under these colourful trees


I've been to Asda and seen these most frightening of garden ornaments
The worrying thing is that earlier in the year they had many more than this so some idiots people must have bought them. They even had queen shaped ones and now they have gnomes in swimming trunks!


I went to the library to return some books and  collect a few more. From the picture on last Monday's post two went back unfinished = Deadlier Than the Male was a study of women's crime writing looking specifically at 5 well know authors . It was a bit to literary for me and as it was first published in 1981 it's a
little dated so I just flicked through the chapters on Josephine Tey, Dorothy Sayers and Ngaio Marsh.  All of the reviews of The Girl from Station X by Elisa Segrave were good but after about 3 chapters I  couldn't be bothered to read on. The mother/daughter relationship was too uncomfortable. I probably should have persisted to find out what exactly her mother did at Bletchley Park during the war but............
Picked up were two diaries. First 'The view from the corner shop' by Kathleen Hey, the diary of a Yorkshire shop assistant in wartime and The Journal of Beatrix Potter - a massive tome of nearly 500 pages.


Then this morning it was the once a month boot sale near Woodbridge. Last month it was Huge, today the weather was foggy and nowhere near as many booters there. So after just  short  look round  I returned home with this small haul.

 Another Sudoku book for 30p, a cotton pillowcase to cut up for the inner sachets of the lavender cases for £1, 3 bird pegs for crafting -50p, yellow-duck hand puppet was 20p - he's brilliant! and all the 7 Josephine Tey books for £2. It's many years since I read some of them and the coincidence of reading about her in Deadlier than The Male and then spotting these books seemed too good to miss.

And here we are - a Saturday at the beginning of June. Although Col has to have blood tests and platelet infusions everyday this week, the weather is set to warm up so we might get to the beach hut  and there is a good tennis final on TV tomorrow - what else can a person ask for!

Back Soon
Sue
PS welcome to Ana and Jan who have clicked the follower button.




34 comments:

  1. Hopefully you will get to meet your grandson soon! He will make you smile so much! Our lovely 5 month old granddaughter gives us so much pleasure.

    How do you find life compares, generally, living in the town to living in the country? Are the conveniences worth the sacrifice of everything the countryside brings???!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once Col's platelets climb so that he doesn't need daily infusions we hope to manage a couple of days in Surrey to see baby Jacob.
      As for town/country comparisons that needs a whole post of it's own!

      Delete
  2. Even if you didn't find great finds at the CB at least you got a few things. I love the duck - great for when grandson gets older. Best wishes to Col.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our youngest had Pink Pig, a knitted hand puppet that was a great favourite for many years. I think Yellow Duck will be popular when he comes to visit

      Delete
  3. Why would anyone want to ruin a perfectly good garden with those horrible gnomes?
    I'm waiting for the car boot at the local steam engine club ground. They don't have them so often so it might be a good one-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plastic monstrosities actually look better in the photo than they are - Truly dreadful

      Delete
  4. I might comment more later on, Sue, but aren't you going to be a Granny? or Grandma? So many grandmothers now are referring to themselves as Nanna or Nana or Nan or Nanny? I do love being Granny, I don't think it's old fashioned at all, but I always think of Nanna or Nanny as either being a female goat or a children's nurse. But it is very popular now. I am Granny to Harrison, Diana's mother is Grandma, and Diana's step-mum (the lucky lad has three grandmothers!) is Nana. I wonder if he'll get muddled? I'm his mad Granny, I talk to him in exactly the same way as I talk to all men and animals, he'll get used to it!
    Very best wishes to Col even though he won't have a clue who I am, and to yourself, Sue.
    What super books you've found!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We kept goats for 20+ years and never referred to female goats as Nannies. Although males were always Billies. I will be Nanna or Nana Sue - one n or 2 doesn't matter. Col's mum was Nanna to our 3 and Col's Nanna was Little Nanna. My mum was grandma to our children and I have no wish to continue with that.

      Delete
    2. What I thought was lovely was that my mother was Little Gran to our children and Chris's mother was Big Gran. This was because my mother was younger and actually smaller in height. This worked out very well. But if you didn't get on with your Mum then small wonder you prefer Nanna, and Nanna Sue sounds lovely.
      Hope Col is recovering from this what-could-be-an-infection. Also hope you are having good weather this afternoon (Sat) ... it's lovely here in Devon and husband is painting our boundary wall to our back garden while I've been guzzling a banana milk shake!
      (A very good division of duties in my opinion!)
      Margaret P

      Delete
  5. Thinking about Col's forthcoming week Sue, I can only say thank goodness you managed to move so near the hospital early. Love to you both - and can't you manage to somehow sabotage those awful gnomes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just made the whole hospital thing so much easier.
      I wish I'd taken a photo of those awful gnomes earlier in the year when there were even more of them,lined up in 3 different places they looked as if they were planning a take-over!

      Delete
  6. Oh those garden gnomes used to freak me out as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are nasty plastic things and some are 3 foot tall - horrible

      Delete
  7. I'm watching the women's final right now and Muguruza just took the first set. I hope she can keep it up.
    Growing up in England in the 50s-60s there was a house around the corner from my nana's that had an entire village of gnomes in the front yard. There must have been at least 25 of them with little houses and a pond with a bridge. My brother and I used to go and stand at the gate and be mesmerized by the whole thing. They weren't as tacky back then, no plastic, I think they were all cement. Rarely see them over here.
    Glad to read that Col is home and you can sit and relax for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes they come across really old ones on the antique programmes and they fetch a lot of money, but these plastic things are horrible

      Delete
  8. Agree about the ghastly gnome and queen army - ugh! Can't imagine who would waste their money, and garden space. I saw them at Asda and find them really off-putting - I am developing a liking for Morrisons! Shame they closed our local one. Hope you see baby Jacob soon. I am so lucky, I see a lot of my 6 mth grandson and 3 yr granddaughter. Nothing so soothing as holding a (quiet) baby. All good wishes to Col for recovery and yourself - enjoy the seaside. (PS I enjoy Needham car boot - went for first time to Wed one recently instead of Saturday and found it just as fun if not better than Sat).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might pop along to the Needham boot sale soon, haven't been for a while, it used to be awful getting in and out. Is the wednesday one a later start?
      When we thought about finding a house in Stow I thought how handy it would be having Lidl, Asda, tesco and Morrisons all in easy reach, then they closed Morrisons and we couldn't find a property we liked there anyway!

      Delete
  9. Agree about the ghastly gnome and queen army - ugh! Can't imagine who would waste their money, and garden space. I saw them at Asda and find them really off-putting - I am developing a liking for Morrisons! Shame they closed our local one. Hope you see baby Jacob soon. I am so lucky, I see a lot of my 6 mth grandson and 3 yr granddaughter. Nothing so soothing as holding a (quiet) baby. All good wishes to Col for recovery and yourself - enjoy the seaside. (PS I enjoy Needham car boot - went for first time to Wed one recently instead of Saturday and found it just as fun if not better than Sat).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a small gnome once but my sons eliminated it. I have never had the urge to replace. Great book finds but pity no Daughter of Time there. I must retread her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I thought the same about Daughter of Time as it's probably the most well know, I searched all through the boxes but no sign of it in this collection. Now I can happily search charity shops for it as a collection needs to be complete!( My excuse!)

      Delete
  11. Sue how could you.....I've got a family of the horrible things lurking round the house, they were however all gifts...lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sue,
    I thought about you when we made our brief visit to see the family, I knew both you and Colin would have loved to be there . Hope you get to meet Jacob Rhys very soon so that you can both give him a very special cuddle. We are all very lucky grandparents xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Col's stem cell therapy has been put back a week so hopefully as soon as his platelets recover so that he doesn't need regular infusions we will get there before he has the big treatment

      Delete
  13. Those gnomes at asda over in Southport made my little girl laugh. She's been watching Gnomeo and Juliet recently, so maybe identified with them, don't think she's actually ever seen them in a real garden! My "big" brother is only 5'6" and so on his stag do, his mates dressed him as a garden gnome and sat him on a bridge over a pond in a park up in the lakes. They gave him a fishing rod and everything!

    Hope you get a cuddle with Jacob soon. Nana, gran, granny, whatever: the unconditional love is the key, not the label.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He He, your poor brother, what a lovely lot of friends he has!

      Delete
  14. We found a gnome but he is very sweet with a long beard and walking stick. He very old and is always hiding about in my garden somewhere.
    But I would never buy one of the ugly plastic ones ! They are scary.
    I like your walk under the trees.

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One old one is OK, an army of plastic is just worrying!

      Delete
  15. I hope you get to see your beautiful grandson soon, that first cuddle will be so special. I agree those gnomes are awful and tacky but they make me laugh when I see them in Asda's xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those gnomes would go well with my plastic flowers ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm just amazed how many less there are than when they first had them......where have they all gone......whose Ipswich gardens are full of gnomes?

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad to hear that Col is now home...I agree about gnomes...they are creepy things just like clowns...not for me I'm afraid...hope you soon get to the hut for some good ole relaxation. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I saw the 'Queen' gnomes when they were for sale in Asda and can only say ... her majesty would be horrified!! Yes, they do look better in your photo than they do in real life, in the 'flesh' they are grotesque!!

    I bet little Jacob will get lots of lovely Nana Sue cuddles when you get to meet him, what is Col's title going to be simply Grandad? Anyway your titles might change slightly when little Jacob starts to talk and says what HE thinks your names are :-)

    (I still think the name Jacob is just so lovely.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely to come across your blog at this end of the parenting spectrum. Not a granma yet but definitely the age for it!

    ReplyDelete