Tuesday, 6 October 2015

The Three Craft Books

 When I did my usual library book photo last month someone asked if I could share what was in the 3 Craft Books. I took a photo at the time, wrote the post a couple of weeks later and then forgot to post it. Better late than never!


Granny Chic, well what can I say about this. If you think having a curtain at your window made from random bits of net, tray cloths and doilies stitched together any-old-how is a "peachey" idea then this is the book for you! The authors were bloggers to start with but after the book seem to have given up blogging.

Have Yourself  A Very vintage Christmas is a book from the States. Taking a look at what was in fashion there for Christmas decorations for each decade from 1920s to 1960s. With ideas to copy and recipes too. There is an Art Portfolio at the end so that you can photocopy some things to make postcards,stickers or seals. The history bit was interesting - seeing which ideas made it across the Atlantic but the only idea I liked was  a Yuletide Shelf Edger, I could do this for my dresser if I find myself with a hour or two to spare before Christmas!

The third book is Vintage Craft by Pearl Lowe published in 2013.
Some nice ideas in this book if you can find all the vintage bits and pieces. My problem with vintage decorating is that when you have a wood-burner everything soon gets covered with dust and many of the items used would be difficult to wash or clean.

I'm glad I only borrowed these from the library and didn't shell out the huge total of £50 for them!

Welcome to John, a new follower and many thanks for comments last time.

Back Soon
Sue

30 comments:

  1. I like the idea of shelf edging - but have no shelves in our current house which would be appropriate! Borrowing from the library is by far the best way forward - it saves us bloggers some money AND it keeps the libraries open because people are using them regularly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon I say thank goodness for library books several times a week!

      Delete
  2. Its nice to look .. but I don't know about you .. but I dint seem to have much time to make things just for a few days over Christmas. May be its me .. I should make the time .. but I would rather do something that I could enjoy all year round ..
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How brilliant to see you back in Blogland.

      Delete
  3. Every time that daft Kirstie Alsopp comes on the telly , I just have to watch for the fun of hurling abuse at the TV. Vintage recycling can look great but they never factor in the cost of all the stuff you need drives me mad...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's forced up prices that's for sure

      Delete
  4. My Granny used to line her larder shelves with paper, she would measure and cut to size, crease it so some fell down and we had to cut a pattern along the bottom edge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my mum used Fablon - sticky plastic stuff

      Delete
  5. I am now looking at my dresser and thinking could I should I, I suppose bunting has taken over from the vintage shelf edging :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you definitely need edging on your dresser and bunting too!

      Delete
  6. These books look great! I love crafting, it’s a lovely way of making your home feel more homely and unique looking on a budget, especially at Christmas time. Nothing beats homemade Christmas decorations and it is fun for all the family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the shelf edging too. Like you I mostly get craft books from the library as mostly there is not a lot in them x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many craft books in the library - a good money saver

      Delete
  8. I got Granny Chic cheaply in the Works. One or two bits I might make, but like you, think a lot of the stuff in there looks rubbishy and not chic AT ALL!

    I am in crafting mode again, and working on a teddy bear (knitting) and a crochet circular cushion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was just too old for that book - and not a granny yet anyway!

      Delete
  9. I loved your comment about Granny Chic. I got it from
    the library a while ago out of curiosity - I thought the
    hipster tweeness (probably unintended) was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have had that Granny Chic book for ages now and I love it, it always make me smile when open it up and turn the pages its so warm and colourful and homely to. Enjoy you new books, dee :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad someone enjoys it - you are much younger than me I guess!

      Delete
  11. More stuff made to take with you when you move Sue? Maybe not. Especially if it is the caravan option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you are right not room for many extras in a caravan!

      Delete
  12. Find a lot of craft books are a lot to do about nothing. Just bought myself a new Tilda book though, and am already in love with it. Not many craft books in our local library sadly. Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A concept by Tone Finnanger. Probably best known in Scandinavia, but I have seen several european blogs referring to her in connection with The Tilda dolls and fabric. Pam

      Delete
  13. Interesting..... I'm having lots of fun with the old Singer sewing machine that I've inherited from Mark's Grandma. I'll have to take a trip to my local library and see what's in the craft section. As you say... most books only have a couple of ideas that appeal so it's not worth buying a copy. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craft books are like cookery books- they look more useful than they actually are

      Delete
  14. I used to read Dottie Angel's blog, more to see her lovely little dachshund than for the inspiration to copy her ideas. When she took down some really nice wallpaper in my favourite shade of green and went over the top with doilies, and then started planning this book with her blogging friend I sort of gave up hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can quite understand you going off anyone who gets rid of your favourite colour wallpaper! :-)

      Delete
    2. Hehehe ... you know me so well ;-)

      Delete