Thursday, 8 October 2015

Another thing for the hampers (and the cupboard)

Just occasionally, I see something with a yellow reduced sticker in Tescos that is actually worth buying.  Last month it was 4 mangoes at 50p each and thought a-ha - mango chutney.
 Ages since I made any, back in the days when Col went to the office in Ipswich and I got  a lift to town and the chance to look at proper market stalls where they often had mangoes at 4 for £1. Now they are £1 each or even more.
Straight home and fetched some jars in from the shed to wash and got the ingredients into the preserving pan.
An hour and a bit later and 6 and a half jars were made.
 The recipe is on my recipe page. This is a mild fruity recipe to make a contrast when it is served with curry unlike some I've seen which are hotter than the curry. If you wanted it hotter some chilies could be added.

Welcome to Victoria -  a new follower but  not a new follower! and Greta, there may be someone else too but I'm not sure who. Hello anyway

Back in a day or 3
Sue

14 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be making this when I see some Mango at the right price, when I make curry half a jar of shop bought is gone, our son loves it, Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds really nice.... and not too spicy. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo Gosh .. I love mango chutney .. now there's a thing to look out for ... cheap mango's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love mango chutney so I'll be trying out your recipe when I see some cheap mangos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband takes a mango to work every day and I find the cheapest fresh ones are Aldi, 2 for about £1.39. Aldi also have frozen mango at £1.39 a tub and their brand - ? Four Seasons - is the nicest one around. I had to get some fresh from Tesco this week though and they now do a 3 pack for £2.50. Tried to get him to swap for something else to no avail! Good job he works it off on a building site!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cave can't say that I have ever tasted mango chutney Sue - wish I lived a bit nearer (or was coming to Aldeburgh again shortly) - then I could try a sample.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mango chutney is one of my favourites! I am sure that it will be well received. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Mango chutney! My favorite! Recovering from Friday's lumpectomy, so, it will be a bit before I am up to making any chutney or jam, this year (surgery on right side, I'm not allowed to move the right arm much, yet, and, of course, I'm right handed).

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is something I regularly make too. Off to see how your recipe compares with mine.

    P.S. You did well getting them reduced to 50p - I always get the impression Tesco would rather chuck stuff than give folk a proper discount on stuff past its best . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like my mango chutney to be slightly spicy; but not eye-wateringly hot. I'm lazy, I buy mine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love mango chutney its not something I have ever made though but I might have to give it a try :-) have a lovely weekend, dee :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found your blog recently. I love all things British. I live in North Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look wonderful. Do you mind if I ask, do sterilise your jars before you use them? How long can you store the chutney for?

    ReplyDelete