Tuesday, 13 October 2015

Quinces both large and small

Our 2 quince trees have small round fruit but at a house across the fields there are trees with very large pear shaped fruits. Although I didn't need them we were given a bag of the large ones. I've arranged ( heaped) them artfully  (any-old-how) into an old basket where according to things I've read they should give off a lovely fragrance . I tried this once before and all they did was gather dust!
I will make some apple and quince jelly later in the month but will only need a couple of pound of each to make enough for what we need.

I found a comment on an old post asking about sterilising jars before making chutneys and jam. I always give jars a good wash in hot soapy water, then rinse out and pop on a tray in a hot oven for half an hour at least.

Thanks for comments about the Cumbria photos

Back in a trice
Sue

9 comments:

  1. They look lovely in their basket :-)

    I made Quince and Apple Jelly for the first time this year, I really do like it. I had never tried Quince before so it was all a bit experimental. Yours look a lot bigger than the ones my neighbour gave me, I think mine were more the ornamental type. I was very grateful to get them though, it's nice to have good neighbours isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tasted quince but quite a few bloggers have been making jelly and jams from them Perhaps I'll get to try some if I find a quince tree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once bought a jar of quince jelly - found the taste rather odd - certainly different from anything else I had tasted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The basket of quince look very nice and Fall-like. :) Friends of mine make a relish with grated quince, vinegar, salt, and chilli powder. It's eaten fresh, though, not preserved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am a quince virgin! It sounds terribly old fashioned doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grow the big ones (Vranja), and mine all end up on the compost. At a local fair last week I did see that someone was making Quince Eau de Vie... maybe I should give all mine to her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never managed to get my hands on any quinces! Some day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. a pretty little basket of quince.
    Your trip looks like it was gorgeous, I'm glad you had a good time and the caravan was cosy.
    Thank you for your comment. I had some things to deal with in Real Life, but I'm back again now. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just catching up with your news. I'm glad that you had a great time... it must have lovely to have a little break/change of scenery. Jx

    ReplyDelete