Saturday, 24 October 2015

Something prickly

About 5 years ago we bought a small Sweet Chestnut tree from a local Nursery,and planted it in the corner of the campsite. It's about 6 feet tall now and this year it has it's first chestnuts........all 4 of them - but very small, not enough to go with the Brussels sprouts for Christmas dinner that's for sure.

We knew where we can find some more so we took a detour along a small back road and there were lots on the ground already.
A carrier bag full brought home, now they need shelling and cooking up before being popped in the freezer for Christmas.I'll need to search for the book that tells me how long to cook them for.

 Thank you for comments to Angela, now enjoying Cornerstones, Morgan, Joanne, Cro, Ilona, CT, Bovey Belle, Sadie, Pat, Sadie, Frugal in Essex, Pat, Lisa, Lilly's Mom and Rachel who,like me, has never had a pen from Cats Protection.
I'm thinking that actually the copper pans were at Felbrigg and the volunteer with the standing-in-the-kitchen job told us that they are polished just once a year during the first weeks that the house is open in spring so that people visiting can watch them being polished.

Welcome to new follower Siobhan.


Back Very Soon
Sue

7 comments:

  1. Re. the copper pans - polished just ONCE a year? I have a couple of whopping big ones and they get done more often, as its such a job if you let them get really tarnished. Mind you, I just have two big ones and a couple of smaller ones, and they have . . . . LOTS more!!

    I'm glad you found some more chestnuts to go with your harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to look into planting a sweet chestnut I havent seen any wild ones in the woods :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I look forward to reading your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in a major Chestnut growing area, where our harvest is just finishing. Normally a tree will begin to give proper fruit after a minimum of 7 years, and the nuts should always fall to the ground outside of their husk. I'd be interested to know what variety it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried a chestnut. Maybe I should give them go next time I see them.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, David said the copper pans at Felbrigg were polished once a year. They certainly are a fantastic sight - as are those chestnuts - don't think there are any trees round here - suspect we may be too far north.

    ReplyDelete