Thursday, 19 January 2017

More Than Half-Past January

January seems to be speeding past, some years it's a drag.

My spend-nothing-extra-just-in-case-I've-done-my-sums-wrong month is going OK. Greatly helped by eating everything in the freezer and both of us being ill! So far this month food spending has been about £50 and not much more needed except milk, fruit and veg.

But spending plans slightly mucked up by getting 2 pairs of thick, lined curtains cleaned. They are a weird heavy material - heavens knows why I bought them (except for the fact they were exactly the right colours) and I realised when we took them down from the living room that it must be over 5 years since we got them and Oh Goodness - they'd never been cleaned before, Whoops.
The living room at the cottage has 3 windows including the double doors into the conservatory so I've been looking for another pair that will be a match or co-ordinate with what we have. Finally found a pair of full length in the Hospice charity shop that will go well  for £5. Also thick and lined and unfortunately dry-clean only again - damn, but I'll worry about that later.

We went into the town centre early in the week to sort out our money ready for buying the cottage and ran out of time for anything except nipping into Poundland. All their Christmas decoration stuff was 5p and there were several people filling their baskets with a ton of junky looking tat. Then I spotted two boxes of 6 crackers so that was a grand total of 10p added to the Christmas part of the accounts.
Quite nice crackers containing snap, hat, joke and mini jigsaw puzzles for less than 1p each!
We've packed almost as many boxes as we can for the moment and we're living around them.The cat is puzzled - poor thing, any box left open has to be examined. When we had the glass door panel here replaced to take a cat flap we kept the old panel so after we've moved we'll get the same man to come and replace it. Col has measured up the panel of the back door at the cottage and all being well the one with the cat flap in should fit there, which will save a bit of money. I'm not sure how Polly will take to country life again as she's turned into a cat who doesn't venture far.

Went to Hobbycraft this morning been meaning to visit ever since we got one in Ipswich......... which was many months ago. Had a nice look round and could have been tempted by loads of things - they had die-cutting machines on offer at.......... £60! .......much more than I could justify spending on a hobby, even if I had £60 to spare. What I did get that I needed were some foam pad stickers for 3D decoupage cards and then I spotted something that might be an idea for this years Penny Pincher friends Christmas presents. In  past years I've cross stitched key rings, needle-cases, Christmas tree decorations, lavender sachets, coasters and notebook covers and made heat resistant pot stands and birthday books. I've given dried Bay leaves and chilli peppers and pretty jar labels, wooden dibbers and bean seeds, so always looking for a new idea that's not too expensive, mainly homemade and not too big to send.

Just watching 1 O'clock news about "Courgette wars!! and drastic Courgette crisis!!" Blimey, if people ate local and seasonal they wouldn't be eating courgettes in January anyway and then they wouldn't need to "take to social media to voice their anger at the shortage"! Have to say this "Crisis" hasn't affected us.

Welcome to someone new on the followers bit, hope you enjoy reading

Back in a Flash
Sue



19 comments:

  1. I never have curtains dry-cleaned, it's so expensive that I consider it worth the risk to wash them. One at a time, in the machine, delicates or wool cycle, with a non-bio liquid suitable for delicates and a couple of colour catchers....never had a failure yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried that several years ago with some I had and the curtain came out like a screwed up bit of rag, could never get the creases out.

      Delete
  2. What a bargain, I heard about the 5p sale and went up there yesterday but nothing but tat left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your seasonal vegetable comment. I recently tried to explain to my 32-year-old son that "back in the day" the only fresh veggies available in stores in winter were roots and hard squash. He had a hard time understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark Murphy was talking about the courgette crisis on Radio Suffolk yesterday morning - must be a hot topic lol. I can't wait to visit the Hobbycraft when I come back this summer. I've already booked my trip - had a good airline sale. I suppose I should save my pennies so I can get some bargains lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, Radio Suffolk ahead of BBC main news! I used to be a fan of MM when he was on early a.m. without music and he used to ring me up to talk about smallholding.

      Delete
  5. I can barely stand to think about food at the moment with this weird cold/virus thing so Andy is keeping things going on that front.
    A courgette shortage won't worry me as I don't like them very much in season or out....lol.
    I love all your ideas for handmade gifts and I bet they are very much appreciated-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you feel better soon. Courgettes are something we will definitely grow again when we get a garden - they are so easy

      Delete
  6. Bargain with the crackers, I did hear of the sale but couldnt do with going into town, I have become very unsociable since moving her :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As friend of mine was talking courgettes this morning and I had a little giggle. I mainly buy seasonal vegetables as I won't pay the over inflated prices for tasteless greenhouse varieties found in the shops in winter. I won't miss them cos I don't buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. People don't know what is seasonal anymore or how to grow and store veg. I grow zucchini, as it's called here. It is very handy for bulking up salads, spaghetti sauce and a few other things. Great saving on the curtains even if you do have to dry clean-five years sounds about right to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good heavens above Sue...you're so well organised for next festive mad time! Won't be long before the move now!! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. There seems to be absolutely no shortage of courgettes around here for some reason.
    When are you acheduled to move?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we knew........waiting for a paperwork muddle to be sorted

      Delete
  11. While I grow and eat courgettes I still don't consider them a staple diet so wont miss them as they are out of season anyway. It is kale, potatoes, parsnips, cabbage and carrot time here in England. Oh yes, and jerusalem artichokes, by the bucketful!!
    Good buy with the crackers
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
  12. There were loads of courgettes in sainsbugs today. Not sure what the crisis is! not that I bought any as I don't want them in January!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eating our way through plenty of zucchinis (courgettes) here, Sue, as it's our Summer and they are growing well in the garden. They are such a versatile veg! When the season changes, it will be time to change what's growing and thus what we eat. Eating seasonally just makes sense to me! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The courgette crises is most definitely not impacting on us at all, we are still eating the homegrown ones from last year.

    The smaller ones were frozen in chunks, some were grated and frozen for adding to soups and the larger ones that turned into marrows were simply stored on the conservatory windowsill and used as and when we needed a fresh one. Two thirds of the last of these is currently in the fridge and being used a few slices at a time, and new seeds will be planted at the beginning of March ... so I'm really happy that we have now figured out how to have year round courgettes without resorting to buying any imported ones.

    ReplyDelete